Gas in oil ???

Started getting bike ready to ride after sitting up during the cold weather, I did mess up & left the choke pulled for a couple days :smirk:

I have changed oil 2 times today and it still seems to be just as much gas as oil when I drain it. What the heck could be causeing this ?

Probably a leaking petcock and float needle not working.

Nothing to do with the choke

Probably a leaking petcock and float needle not working.

Nothing to do with the choke

yea, I should have done a search before I posted this. That's sure sounds like the prob.

Thanks

If you have the mikuni and you left the petcock on prime , this can do it also , greg

An '07?...yep due for a petcock. Pingles ain't cheap but it wil be the last petcock you will ever have to buy.

If you have the mikuni and you left the petcock on prime , this can do it also , greg

Dang now that you said that, I might have. Down on the petcock has allways been off on all my 2 strokes and my 450f & I cant see Jack without my cheeters :smirk:

Didn't even know it had a prime until I started boneing up on it on TT

Thanks

An '07?...yep due for a petcock. Pingles ain't cheap but it wil be the last petcock you will ever have to buy.

Where can I get one ?

Where can I get one ?

Your not really do for a petcock Mines an 05 with the stocker And it works like a charm.just don't leave it on prime and you'll b fine

Your not really do for a petcock Mines an 05 with the stocker And it works like a charm.just don't leave it on prime and you'll b fine

I saw an inline shut off valve I might look into, kinda like the idea of a manual shut off.

Your not really do for a petcock Mines an 05 with the stocker And it works like a charm.just don't leave it on prime and you'll b fine[/QUOTE]

Right up until the day it isn't fine. Came home the other day to a garage that reeked of fuel. There was a 2' diameter puddle of fuel under my '02 S. The furnace and water heater are also in the garage.:smirk: I later drained 3 quarts of oil/fuel out of the bike.

Your not really do for a petcock Mines an 05 with the stocker And it works like a charm.just don't leave it on prime and you'll b fine[/QUOTE]

Right up until the day it isn't fine. Came home the other day to a garage that reeked of fuel. There was a 2' diameter puddle of fuel under my '02 S. The furnace and water heater are also in the garage.:smirk: I later drained 3 quarts of oil/fuel out of the bike.

That could of been real real bad !!!

If the petcock is bad & i pull the gas line from the carb. should'nt gas come out ?

If the petcock is bad & i pull the gas line from the carb. should'nt gas come out ?

Yep. But it might not pour out, give it a few minutes and see if anything collects below it.

Yep. But it might not pour out, give it a few minutes and see if anything collects below it.

Gonna try that tomorrow. I pulled it off today & only what was in the line came out, but I didn't have it off long.

Gonna try that tomorrow. I pulled it off today & only what was in the line came out, but I didn't have it off long.

When mine went out, I pulled the line off and just what was in the line came out. I was doing some other stuff at the same time and when I came back to it a few minutes later there was definately fuel dripping.

oh boy I just got done going through this exercise, you can check my previous posts..:smirk::rant:

first, your petcock is gone. you need to either get a replacement or convert it to a non-vacuum. get vacuum caps for the carb and petcock after you convert it.

then, you take your floats off, pull out the brass thing encircling the float needle and replace the 0-ring on that. go ahead an replace float bowl gasket while youre in there.

after all that BS it should be ok. dont forget to drain your carb after youre done riding for the day, and shut off the gas!

One more thing, something on the oem petcock's deteriorate in the gas tank. I found a bunch of black gasket looking gunk in the fuel, so clean out the tank while you have it off.

One more thing, something on the oem petcock's deteriorate in the gas tank. I found a bunch of black gasket looking gunk in the fuel, so clean out the tank while you have it off.

Hmmm... nothing from the petcock should migrate back upstream into the gas tank. But you are correct, there is an o ring in the "automatic" section of the petcock that seems to turn to mush and causes the petcock to fail to positively shut off. Because I'm a slow learner and a glutton for punishment, I've replaced the o ring instead switching to a "manual" petcock. Time will tell. If you hear about a house burning down in Carson City NV, I was wrong.:smirk:

There shouldn't be much left to burn down...after the big "bang":eek:

C'mon...cough up the $ & get a Pingle(I know it goes against sanity to pay that much for a tiny on/off valve).it's worth peace of mind:ride:

I just drained the oil for the first time in my 2001 E yesterday (Just got it last week), and its was a good mix of oil and gas. The oil was really thinned down and wreaked of gasoline. I think that my issue has been addressed in this post. I know that my petcock leaks, and who knows how long it has been leaking before I bought the bike. Also, the float valve did not seal after I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it, and fuel poured out of the overflows. So I'm sure fuel just dumped in the cylinder and pushed by the rings. Or at least I hope that's what it is.