Check out these XRL forks...

I recently bought these XRL forks from a guy to get the .47kg eibachs that were inside of them. When I popped the cap off to get the springs out I noticed a ton of preload on them, around 2" - way more than I've seen before on XR forks. Then I put some stock XRL springs in them (still way too long for the fork) and stood the forks next to my stock '07 XRL forks and wow! 2" / 5 cm shorter??? Whats the deal? shortened for supermoto maybe? I was planning on selling them on ebay before I realized the difference in length but I want to make sure I know what I have. The guy I them from says he never noticed and didn't know anything :smirk: but anyway they're mine now. I the pic both forks are fully extended with stock XRL springs installed. What have I got here?

hey didn't know you were on this forum,did you take them apart and see if there is some kind of shim in the bottom? all the years I had my xr I always thought that was funny that everyone complained on how high they are,I'm only 5'7" and could reach the ground,well now I know why,I have my usd set up on and wow is she tall,good thing I lowered my seat ,

hope you find out the deal with those forks.

see ya:thumbsup:

It looks like the tubes themselves have had about two inches cut of the bottoms. Definitely haven't had any cut off the top, and it wouldn't be possible to cut them in the middle and weld them back together smooth enough to still work. :smirk:

More than likely they just have limiting spacers installed so they don't fully extend.

I would imagine a XR650L with 17" wheels and lowered suspension would be bad about dragging the pegs during a Sumo race. Probally just done for a shorter rider to help feel more secure.

Anyone in the market for some shorty XRL forks?:smirk:

Whats the XL600R fork diameter?

They are larger than XL forks and will not work in the XL trees. Someone would have to use the XRL trees also.

It would be a worthy upgrade and it would still look stock to most people.

I would pull them completely apart to make sure that the stanchions are shorter than OEM. There may be spacers installed that can be removed.

Whats involved in getting them disassembled that far? I've done plenty of fork seals but haven't gone beyond that. I'd like to get a little deeper into a set of forks that I can afford to screw up - I guess this is my opportunity :smirk:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TheLastByte
      Changing out my fork oil on a new to me 650l. What's generally recommended for stock springs and valving? 
    • By mrdsee
      ~177 Titanium bolts, nuts, washers etc leftover from various motorcycle projects. XR650, YZ 125, YZ250 a mix of new and used once hardware.
      Made by Mettec
      Over $2k worth of hardware
    • By Xr600guy
      So I don't seem to find my specific issue so here I am asking. 
      I have a 1997 Xr600r. It was recently re-jetted and has ran really well ever since until more recently it has begun to have this issue.
      Everything works fine. Kicks right away, nice and easy. Runs great, sounds great, purs. But when I'm downshifting and slowing down to a stop, if I let my hand off the throttle that's when it just dies. I found that I can counter this by lightly holding the throttle as I down shift (so I'm revving quite a bit during downshift).  But it hadn't done this before. 
      The only thing I've done that I suspect may have been an issue on my part was when I pulled out the engine to change the valve cover gasket and upon doing so perhaps when connecting the carb back to it, I may have missed something or made a crack in the boot? 
      Any ideas? Thanks 
    • By Kenya
      Hello all,
      There's been a lot of talk about how to register a dirt bike in states that don't allow it.
      I just moved to North Carolina and for the first time in my life might be able to afford a bike. I've been dreaming about an XR650R for a long time, but they're not cheap. Plated bikes seem to be more expensive too. So here's my question, has anyone tried to plate a dirt bike by adding all the necessary features and having it inspected as a custom bike? Anyone know of another way I can plate an xr650 in NC?
    • By Jsmoot
      Hoping for some help before I throw in the towel and end it all!
      Engine starts fine, runs and idles well for +/- 10 minutes, but cuts out while riding once the engine warms up (175 - 185) and intermittently cuts out thereafter (any speed/gear). It will start up after 30 seconds or so (but won't run for long before dying again). No spurting or surging.. just dies.
      I've replaced CDI (twice), Spark plug, spark wire and coil, and most recently pulse generator. I do have a 41mm Flat side carb from a CRF (and it has more power than the old carb setup), breathing through a Uni filter. Also, sealed battery tender battery (hasn't shown low when trickle charged).
      What's next on the test/replace list? Stator maybe? Please help...