Sign in to follow this  

Hour Meter install

I want to install a hour meter to my sons new Crf150r, I was hoping to use the Works Connection/Trail Tech style because it will attach with a cool little mounting bracket that Works Connection sells. Problem is that the 150r has A stick type coil that is on top of the spark plug cap(same as my 08 Crf250) and The hour meters I want to buy are made to wrap the spark plug wire. On my 250 I have a Motominder brand hour meter that has ability to connect to my kill switch wire. Has anyone tried hooking any other brand of meter to the kill switch? I would just use the Motometer but it dose not have holes in it to attach to the W/C bracket I bought.

GethighRacewear,

kwtrail is right. Our tach/hour meter will work on the 'coil in cap' style as well as the conventional wrap around the spark plug wire setup.

Here is a link to a short video that we made showing how to install our tach/hour meters. The video goes over the 'coil in cap' style that your CRF150R has.

http://vimeo.com/17929701

Thanks.

...Eric

Just ordered my works connection hour meter through garys street and trail, looking forward to installing it. That video made me sold due to the simple method of installing.

Marco

Got it all put together today, as you know the Crf150r doesn't have the same gas tank mount bolt like the bigger Crf's do to install the W/C hour meter mount. So I installed mine on my W/C Radiator Guards, down by the fuel petcock. I guess only time will tell if it was a good place to mount it or not. Looks cool any way. I don't know how to post a pic on this thread or I would.

I'm installing a new Vapor on my son's CRF150R, and used the method for the tach pickup described in the video above. That is one of Trail Tech's instructions as well. The problem I'm having is that the tach only picks up to about 2500 rpm and then drops to zero, even if you continue to increase revs.

I re-wrapped the pickup wire again to ensure I had enough wraps and that they were tight, with no change.

Speedo, clock, temp all work fine.

I've called TT customer service, but had to leave a voice mail. Any ideas?

Edited by thirdcoaster
grammar

You can strip the end of the tach wire (red wire) and slide it under the boot that covers the spark plug/coil connector and wrap it around the wire on the connector. I do not remember which wire but there is a tech sheet on it on trailtech website. This I know works like a champ. That is how I did mine.

You can strip the end of the tach wire (red wire) and slide it under the boot that covers the spark plug/coil connector and wrap it around the wire on the connector. I do not remember which wire but there is a tech sheet on it on trailtech website. This I know works like a champ. That is how I did mine.

This method is the Trail Tech preferred way. I was in a hurry trying to get the boy on the bike for the evening. :smirk: He has never ridden a bike with a speedometer before & was driving me crazy.

I'm going to move the connection to the coil power wire whenever we service the bike next time.