Sign in to follow this  

92 WR250 - Front end options

I just mounted fresh tires on my 92 WR250, went to mount the front wheel... and the axle lug is stripped out on the brake side... :smirk:

What are my easy bolt up front end swap options so I can go shopping on ebay?

Based on All Balls steering stem bearing kits:

92 WR200, 91-97 WR250, 92-93 WR500 and 87-95 YZ125/YZ250 all use the steering stem bearings. (2 x 28x52x16)

01-11 WR250F, 08-11 WR250R/WR250X, 98-00 WR400F, 01-02 WR426F, 03-11 WR450F, 96-11 YZ125/YZ250, 01-11 YZ250F, 98-99 YZ400F, 00-02 YZ426F, 03-11 YZ450F use the same upper bearing, and a 2mm larger ID lower bearing. (28x52x16 and 30x52x16)

So it looks like I can swap on any front end with at most a lower bearing swap, assuming stem lengths are compatible, and I go complete front end including wheel and brakes, etc. I'm likely due for steering stem bearings anyways so once I know which year front end I'm slapping on, I'll just get the appropriate year kit and go from there.

Edit: Oh, steering stops, those would be important... though I saw a note that the aluminum framed bikes used different steering stops?

Alternate plan is to attempt to repair the threads in my current fork lug. If my quickie research is correct I've got a 17mm front axle? I can't find a 17mm timesert kit. Anyone know the actual size/pitch of the threads on my ye-olde axle?

I am not sure about the 92 but I do know for a fact that when I wanted to put a wr426 front end on my 94 wr250 ( I wanted a factory look spedo drive) I had to press and swap out the stem on the lower clamps because of the different bearing (my rememberings tells me the top bearing was too big on the 426 to use on the '94) but as soon as I swapped stems it was like it belonged there.

If you want to swap out the front end make sure you get the entire front end the hub, axle, wheel bearings , spacers , brake rotor, brake caliper and triple clamps will be changed from year to year... oh and I think I had to use a 93-95 yz 125 top clamp nut. If there is a difference in the stem diameters and you need to fill the gap in diameters with that nut

For the record, the axle is threaded M16 x 1.5. The cost for a thread repair kit is more than a used front end.

The axle is drilled and partially tapped so I suppose I could rig up a bolt and washer... hrmm... normally setups that work that way also clamp the axle on that side though...