Sign in to follow this  

Homemade dune whip/flag mount.

My second Glamis trip is March 1st-6th or whenever I run out of gas. Whichever comes first.

However since my last trip resulted in a broken whip, I had to improvise a mount for it this time. Didn't feel like spending any money and I had lots of time to mess with my idea.

Basically I wanted to make a mount that bolted to the number plate bolt and moved the flag back to the fender area. As I've seen done on other websites. I'm not spending over 10$ for a whip mount, so armed with a sheet of metal, zipties, random bolts, and a grinder I "whipped" up a whip mount. It doesn't look professional at all lol, but it doesn't look that bad on the bike either so as long as it holds I think it will work for me.

What I did was make the metal fold around the flag stem and squeeze it between the metal, like a clamp. That is what the bolt is for (it holds the two metal sides together, which squeezes the stem) The zipties hold the mount to the rear fender as it makes it more secure (not the thickest or sturdiest metal) The mount is attached to the number plate/seat frame bolt. Seems pretty sturdy so can't wait to try it out.

Whatchu think? Will it work or not? haha I'll find out soon

IMAG0681.jpg

IMAG0682.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

IMAG0683.jpg

The zip ties should hold up if they're not the cheapy ones. I ran an axle bolt mount then used zip ties as a hoop off the fender to control the excess whipping. Held up fine for me.

7eef150a.jpg

The zip ties should hold up if they're not the cheapy ones. I ran an axle bolt mount then used zip ties as a hoop off the fender to control the excess whipping. Held up fine for me.

7eef150a.jpg

I do the same thing, but put the zip ties on my side plate instead of the rear fender. Works fine for me. I do have to replace them every day of dune riding though as a precaution as my stainless steel pole rubs through about 50% of the zip tie in 12 hours of saddle time.

that could work well for you...

i just drill a hole in the top of the rear fender, cut the flag shorter, then put some big washers on the bolt.

but now i have a big hole in the fender. maybe i'll have to put a sticker over it so the teenagers won't make fun of me 😏

7eef150a.jpg

That is how I did it last year at Glamis, axle mount plus ziptie on rear fender. My ziptie finally broke on the last day when I was actually trying to jump, which led to the flag snapping. I lost the bolt part that goes on the end of the fiberglass "flagpole" so all I have is the stick with no way of mounting it except for this clamp style mount I made.

Im just being cheap haha and felt like fabricating something that may actually work.

I like it! Axle whip mounts suck and will usually result in a busted whip...my bike just tipped over in the wind and busted mine, never recommend them. After looking and not being able to find the kind that you have engineered I just bought the $10 Mod Quad mount...the cylinder style with a nut on the end....and drilled a hole in the center of my rear fender. Been running this for 4-5 seasons now and have actually worn out the whip. You can kind of see it in this pic.

100_2290.jpg

I built mine with some right angle aluminum bolted off of the furthest back muffler mount. the mount itself is smaller than a pack of cigarettes. Pretty sure I have zero pics of it... but its minimal, out of the way and best of all the flag attaches with an air compressor chuck that has a pressure fitting attached so it's quick and easy to take on and off and replace when broken.

Cant see the mount in these pics but thats a good thing right?

p1050952h.jpg

p1050958c.jpg

Edited by DunkinMcNut

drill a hole in your rear fender...just put a hole about 6" from the end, cheap and easy. usually only break them when I crash...

I like how high the flag is with this mount! I bet it will break tho since it has such a long reach without any extra support.

Got the Paddle on, what PSI should I run for glamis? I always forget these details! haha

IMAG0692.jpg

IMAG0691.jpg

that will work great. the only suggestion i have is to turn the bolt around. have it screw into the bike so if you get sucked off the back or have your leg slide across it, it will be on the nut side and not the longer, bolt side. may save you torn pants or a nasty cut.

that will work great. the only suggestion i have is to turn the bolt around. have it screw into the bike so if you get sucked off the back or have your leg slide across it, it will be on the nut side and not the longer, bolt side. may save you torn pants or a nasty cut.

thats the only thing i was thinking of when looking at this. other than that its a great idea. you dont have to mess with your axle nut at all which i like. 👍

My second Glamis trip is March 1st-6th or whenever I run out of gas. Whichever comes first.

However since my last trip resulted in a broken whip, I had to improvise a mount for it this time. Didn't feel like spending any money and I had lots of time to mess with my idea.

Basically I wanted to make a mount that bolted to the number plate bolt and moved the flag back to the fender area. As I've seen done on other websites. I'm not spending over 10$ for a whip mount, so armed with a sheet of metal, zipties, random bolts, and a grinder I "whipped" up a whip mount. It doesn't look professional at all lol, but it doesn't look that bad on the bike either so as long as it holds I think it will work for me.

What I did was make the metal fold around the flag stem and squeeze it between the metal, like a clamp. That is what the bolt is for (it holds the two metal sides together, which squeezes the stem) The zipties hold the mount to the rear fender as it makes it more secure (not the thickest or sturdiest metal) The mount is attached to the number plate/seat frame bolt. Seems pretty sturdy so can't wait to try it out.

Whatchu think? Will it work or not? haha I'll find out soon

IMAG0681.jpg

IMAG0682.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

IMAG0683.jpg

DOING DEEGAN PROUD