2010 450 XC-W street kit

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still have a choice buy the EXC instead, as the XC-W lacks the required highway EPA sticker required in CA..

I don't know where I just read this, but the XC-W is supposed to be EPA compliant. I'm not sure if there's a sticker on the bike to this effect, but just going by what I read for specs.

Not sure this does the trick or not?

I did just get a 2010 450 XC-W, 6 days edition with 2 hours on it. I am registering it in NV and then bringing it to CA. No need to plate it, it would be nice, but if I can't, then no big deal, don't know how much I'd ride it on the street anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not registering in NV to avoid paying CA dmv fees and taxes, I'm registering in NV to get it plated for when I ride up there.

So I'm in the same boat. My brother has a XCW that he wants to sell me and he's out of state. I really don't care if it's plated in CA as I want to use out of state primarily for vacations.

If I purchase it from him, I assume I can leave it registered out of state under his address, but it would be under my name. I guess my question is what if I'm riding a plated out of state bike in CA, but have a CA license? What would happen?

Or what if I leave it registered under his name with it still being plated out of state, but I end up riding it here? That's not illegal to ride someone's bike is it?

Tom, just because it's plated in another state doesn't make it reciprocal in CA.

Meaning, my AZ plated XC-W is NOT street legal in CA. I hate to say it, but there isn't a legitimate way to do what you are looking to do. Keyword here is 'legitimate.'

BTW, I don't think an XC-W is plate-able in NV, either (not totally sure, tho).

Tom, just because it's plated in another state doesn't make it reciprocal in CA.

Meaning, my AZ plated XC-W is NOT street legal in CA. I hate to say it, but there isn't a legitimate way to do what you are looking to do. Keyword here is 'legitimate.'

BTW, I don't think an XC-W is plate-able in NV, either (not totally sure, tho).

I keep hearing about what's "legitimate" and "legal" in CA, but what are the violations and penalties? Nobody seems to have this answer thus far.

It's legal to ride a motorcycle licensed from another state. Period. If it's not your bike, you should carry a letter from the owner saying you have permission to ride it. You should also have proof of insurance. If you have dual residence, you can buy a car/bike, etc and register it either place. States like Utah for example, have state issued ID cards, separate from their drivers license. Carry that card with you in case you get pulled over. If you only reside in CA, the law says you have to change the registration to CA within two weeks.

I have several friends who live 1/2 the year in one state, but register their vehicles in another state, like Arizona for example. It's a free country and interstate commerce laws make all of this legal.

Getting a CA plate is doable. Expensive, but doable...

1st/ getting it plated in another state is a huge plus but the pink has to be in someone elses name.

2nd/ Install a Baja Designs street legal kit. You are going to have to do this to get a plate in AZ, NM whereever...Cost $500.00+

3rd/ Wait 6 months for reg in another state. CA dmv is on the lookout for this.

4th/ Make sure the odometer (it will have an odo & speedo, right? Think Vapor. Not the manual enduro jobby) reads 7500+. Don't even think about showing up at a CA DMV without this.5th/ Make sure it has all the crap on it that makes a bike legal(horn,turns, dot headlight with high/low beam that works without the engine being on. (Don't try to slide by with the enduro headlight) for the street. Brake light and licence plate light and a braket to hold the plate. They will not accept "I'll just tape it on the fender". Everything will be inspected )tires) and you do not want to do a reinspect, trust me.

Ok, now you are ready for the DMV...Before you go though got to the dmv web site and print out the required docs, there are 2. Bring lots of money:busted: About 300+. Tell the nice personat the counter you just bought this bike from out of state and would like to reg it here.Hand over the pink, the filled out forms and you are on your way...You pass inspection and you get your plates and you will have a bike that will fetch another 1000 in resale:thumbsup:

I wish you luck:ride:

Or you could just get an EXC.?

And if you really are worried about resale, buy your EXC in another state where ANY bike can be street legalled (like AZ). There, you'll spend around $1000 less on an EXC cuz it just isn't that special there.

Or you could just get an EXC.?

And if you really are worried about resale, buy your EXC in another state where ANY bike can be street legalled (like AZ). There, you'll spend around $1000 less on an EXC cuz it just isn't that special there.

True... But how cool would it be to have a plated 6days:worthy: Expensive, but cool

There are rumors that they are going to start pulling plates back from bikes that were not originally street legal. I just passed on a California plated XC-W for that reason. Whether or not it is true I did not want to take the risk. I was patient and got an EXC for LESS than the XC-W and I know that the plates will never be an issue.

There are rumors that they are going to start pulling plates back from bikes that were not originally street legal. I just passed on a California plated XC-W for that reason. Whether or not it is true I did not want to take the risk. I was patient and got an EXC for LESS than the XC-W and I know that the plates will never be an issue.

Do you really feel they have the bandwidth for this? Probably not. They are so short staffed and overworked, aren't they only working 4 day weeks as it stands?

Rumor, blumor.

Tell me about it. I'm just about to pull the trigger on one, plate it out of CA. But now I'm looking at the Hussy 570FE, no not the S (with mirrors etc). BTW, you don't need a Baja designs kit. Just a rear break light switch. Dealer will register it for me for 150 bucks. They don't hassle you for blinkers. That's just another CA issue.

All you need is a PO box in another state to get your registration in the mail.

True... But how cool would it be to have a plated 6days:worthy: Expensive, but cool
Edited by 1stgear

Tell me about it. I'm just about to pull the trigger on one, plate it out of CA. But now I'm looking at the Hussy 570FE, no not the S (with mirrors etc). BTW, you don't need a Baja designs kit. Just a rear break light switch. Dealer will register it for me for 150 bucks. They don't hassle you for blinkers. That's just another CA issue.

All you need is a PO box in another state to get your registration in the mail. I feel sorry for Californians who don't have options/connections.

Just a question. What happens if you get pulled over and you have a CA license, but a bike plated elsewhere?

Thanks