2002 XR250 - Valves HELP

fellas -

I recently had my 02 XR250 worked on to get it back to running operation again and the mechanic told me that I needed new valves. He quoted me around $250 for the valves and labor but i would rather do the work myself and make a learning process out of it for me and my boys (13, 5).

Please help me with the following:

Where and what valves to buy (mostly trail riding and following kids around)

Directions for changing valves (any internet how to sites that are helpful?)

Any other expertise for this rookie.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

SCott

What work did you have done for the mechanic to determine you need new valves?

Is it a running engine? What symptoms is it currently showing that would indicate needing new valves?

Before you do anything, download this free shop manual to go by.

http://www.flightoftheplatypus.net/2006/09/honda-xr250r-shop-manual-1996-2004.html

If indeed it does need valves, either get stock or Kibblewhite valves. Can be had from numerous places.

Thanks for the replies fellas, especially the manual download link, thats great.

As far as the work I had done I took the bike in cuz it was runnin like crap, popping and sputtering and not idling while trail riding (a challenge in itself).

The mechanic adjusted the valves and switched the jetting to a larger jet so that the bike would at least run and stay running. It still runs like crap and he recommended it needed a valve job because there was leaking around the valves.

Im new to all this mechanical stuff but like diggin into it with good direction so Im open to suggestions and any additional help that can be offered.

Again, thanks