Carb Gooked up After Winter Storage

Hey y'all,

Just got my CL100 out of the garage where she has been hibernating all winter. Charged the battery and after a few kicks fired normally but no idle (without full choke).

Pulled the carb bowl off and green gook covered everything and just as expected, idle jet plugged.

Before I put her away in October I added the recommended amount of Sta-Bil to the (topped off) fuel thinking this would keep everything fresh.

What do I use/do to prevent this from happening?

What i like to do to my 1972 sl 175 is to put stabilizer in it as normal, but then right after you put it in run it a little bit, this way he stabilizer is mixed into the has in the carbuerator. Also in the winter break it out once or twice and run a little gas through it by going around your driveway (Depending on where you live) so that way fresh gas is left in, if you still have the problem, idont know what to say... you could always drain it?

Edited by oleraj
spelling

What i like to do to my 1972 sl 175 is to put stabilizer in it as normal, but then right after you put it in run it a little bit, this way he stabilizer is mixed into the has in the carbuerator. Also in the winter break it out once or twice and run a little gas through it by going around your driveway (Depending on where you live) so that way fresh gas is left in, if you still have the problem, idont know what to say... you could always drain it?

Tried to ride it a little yesterday, the float (new) was corroded to the point that there was three tiny pinholes. Tried to solder them up, no luck.

Does the alcohol in the fuel cause this green type of corrosion?

Tried to ride it a little yesterday, the float (new) was corroded to the point that there was three tiny pinholes. Tried to solder them up, no luck.

Does the alcohol in the fuel cause this green type of corrosion?

When you say float do you mean float bowl? if the actual float has holes in it it shouldn't matter, because it floats, but the float bowl... if you have holes in that, in order to get the solder to sick you have to get the whole area very hot, which is why it probably didnt work, welding would work better on the float bowl, or you could get a blowtorch and heat it up and melt the solder on it. If this fails you can order a new one, i am just unclear whether it is the actual float or the float bowl with the hole. As for the green corrosion... before you mentioned that it was thick and green, like syrup? if that is the case, i have no idea why it would be green, unless there is two stroke oil in you fuel. When gas site for a while (specifically in smaller amounts, such as in the carb) it tends to get thick and oily, did you use red stabilizer? sorry for this long message, i am just unlcear of exactly what is wrong

When you say float do you mean float bowl? if the actual float has holes in it it shouldn't matter, because it floats, but the float bowl... if you have holes in that, in order to get the solder to sick you have to get the whole area very hot, which is why it probably didnt work, welding would work better on the float bowl, or you could get a blowtorch and heat it up and melt the solder on it. If this fails you can order a new one, i am just unclear whether it is the actual float or the float bowl with the hole. As for the green corrosion... before you mentioned that it was thick and green, like syrup? if that is the case, i have no idea why it would be green, unless there is two stroke oil in you fuel. When gas site for a while (specifically in smaller amounts, such as in the carb) it tends to get thick and oily, did you use red stabilizer? sorry for this long message, i am just unlcear of exactly what is wrong

Where did you get float bowl?

It is the float. One side of the float filled with gasoline and wouldn't "float" so the bowl over fills with gas and runs out the overflow.

The float is brass, the oxide from the brass is green. The Sta-Bil I used is red.

My question is what would corrode the brass float?

Where did you get float bowl?

It is the float. One side of the float filled with gasoline and wouldn't "float" so the bowl over fills with gas and runs out the overflow.

The float is brass, the oxide from the brass is green. The Sta-Bil I used is red.

My question is what would corrode the brass float?

gasoline, could be the cause, and if it was drained some water could've got in there. I dont know what would actually cause it to corrode. Most floats that i have seen are not made of metal, but some kind of foam that floats even when saturated. Brass is a copper alloy, so anything that would corrode copper, will corrode the float. Since aluminum is added to the copper to create brass a layer of rust-proof aluminum forms on top of the brass, if this float is old this layer may have worn away from gas and other wear, and then the unprotected brass corroded. To prevent this you can get a new float, or if you manage to fix the current one, buy a sealant for metal that prevents rust. Sorry for the late reply, i was busy with school and sports over the week.

• 3 weeks later...

i have seen this also, i did some research and found that the stabalizer they use for all the ethenol they put in fuel now days is organic and will grow a type of mold. the green kinda crystal stuff... sorry no link read that a long time ago