Sign in to follow this  

piston choice for 05 400 EXC??

I assume I am looking for a 89.00mm piston for a 450 as none of the manufacturers specify 400cc models. I am running the stock piston right now - what compression should I go with?? JE has a 13:1 and wiseco has both 12 and 11:1 comps.

What about the KTM pistons with their group I and group II sizing. how does that affect what JE or wiseco I buy?

thanks

Talk with Travis over at Thumper Racing.

Are you sure you want to stay 400? I'll tell you the Thumper 453 kit is a majic motor.

I've built two of them now and I have NEVER heard anyone say they didn't like it. All the good traits of the 400 magnified.

Talk with Travis over at Thumper Racing.

Are you sure you want to stay 400? I'll tell you the Thumper 453 kit is a majic motor.

I've built two of them now and I have NEVER heard anyone say they didn't like it. All the good traits of the 400 magnified.

quite happy with 400 - even considered dropping down. 400 is more than enough as I just race the odd enduro in the novice class (not long before that becomes vet) Getting brittle and want reliability over speed/power.

someone on ebay is selling high compression JE pistons with the gasket kit for under 200 - seems good to me as Orange Motorsports wants 300 for the piston alone.

You can contact DJH for specifics, but he replaced my stocker with a Wossner piston. He also recommended CP and coated Weisco pistons.

450 piston not the same wiseco makes one

not according to their website

also CP does not list a 400.

have not checked wossner as I'm getting annoyed, will just have to pick up the phone.:thumbsup:

I have a 2006 400 and a 2007 453 with 5521 cam done by Dave Hopkins. The 453 is an awesome motor that carburates about as well as a fuel injected bike. I like the 400 slightly better for all out racing though. It vibrates a little less (453 is not bad, just a touch more vibration), revs easier, and the bike feels lighter and smaller. Not quite as clunky feeling. Both are great engines and I can see how a lot of people would love the 453.