Sign in to follow this  

Arenacross testing/tuning?

I have a 2006 YZ250, with stock suspension, which works pretty well for me actually. I'm around 180 in gear, and 6'2" and stock springs are close to perfect from just looking at the calculators on line.

I have my settings alright from racing outdoors, and am comfortable recognizing some of the feelings on a rough track and correcting them. My question is what do you feel for, and how do you correct it on an arenacross/supercross style track?

There's a race coming up in a couple weeks, where I'll have a fair amount of time in the practice sessions, so I should have time to make some changes if theres something wrong. I just want to know what you change heading to a smooth track with huge whoops and steep faces, coming from worn out out doors tracks?

I'm thinking less sag, drop the clamps a little, and speed up the rebound/stiffen the compression. Is that headed in the right general direction?

Also, what do you feel for on a track like that? I expect the whoops to be a bit of a rodeo, being much steeper and closer than out doors. What settings keep the nose up? how far do you want to go with keeping the forks high? what keeps the rear tracking straight? what keeps it from kicking up?

I'd be ok trading a little bit on turn in for some extra stability, as far as compromising goes, but I don't know when to change static settings like fork height and sag, and when to change the damping settings; I've never tuned for the slower speeds, and artificial obstacles before.

Anyway sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any help you can give me

to setup for real SX you would change the base valve stack shims from the stock .11 thickness to .25 x 5 on the face shims and .2 thickness on the rest while increasing the clamping shim 4mm in dia. That is just a place to start. It sounds stiff but that is what the Pros use only they go even stiffer.

Note im no expert in suspension

But i have been using my normal suspension setup on arenacross like track with woops etc.

You want the forks stiff: 0-5 clicks out on comp ,rebound i run the same as on normal hardpack , raise oil hight

Shock: sag 100mm, comp 1/2 turn +5 clicks out rebound 4-5 clicks out

this is what i have found works for me (without using money), its quite far from what i run outdoor but it might give you an idea

Kim

to setup for real SX you would change the base valve stack shims from the stock .11 thickness to .25 x 5 on the face shims and .2 thickness on the rest while increasing the clamping shim 4mm in dia. That is just a place to start. It sounds stiff but that is what the Pros use only they go even stiffer.

I realize I won't be on real supercross suspension with stock valving, but I only ride arenacross 1 or 2 nights a year, so I was hoping to just ride it without having to do more than oil height and clicker adjustments.

Note im no expert in suspension

But i have been using my normal suspension setup on arenacross like track with woops etc.

You want the forks stiff: 0-5 clicks out on comp ,rebound i run the same as on normal hardpack , raise oil hight

Shock: sag 100mm, comp 1/2 turn +5 clicks out rebound 4-5 clicks out

this is what i have found works for me (without using money), its quite far from what i run outdoor but it might give you an idea

Kim

Ok cool, thanks! out of curiosity what are you at generally for normal hardpack? my forks are usually around 8-10Comp, 10-11Reb and my shock is 1 1/4 HS, 9-11 Comp, 11-12 Reb. Just for reference so I can change about of the same amount.

Thanks again, and what do you adjust for after your first couple laps testing wise?

I realize I won't be on real supercross suspension with stock valving, but I only ride arenacross 1 or 2 nights a year, so I was hoping to just ride it without having to do more than oil height and clicker adjustments.

Ok cool, thanks! out of curiosity what are you at generally for normal hardpack? my forks are usually around 8-10Comp, 10-11Reb and my shock is 1 1/4 HS, 9-11 Comp, 11-12 Reb. Just for reference so I can change about of the same amount.

Thanks again, and what do you adjust for after your first couple laps testing wise?

We cant compare our suspension to the last click

but some where around the same ,i do run reb on forks around 14-15 though

(hard pack stock susp with mods,)

just try the woops with your normal settings ,then try what i suggested and go from there

you want stiff forks when coming up short

and your shock stiff and with a lot of rebound in the woops

Good luck im sure you will have fun:thumbsup:

Kim

450DK, Thanks again for the help. I ran my normal settings in practice, and the first night, and the second day I tried your advice. It made a huge difference keeping the front up in the whoops, and as an added bonus, seemed to help in the G-outs between transitions in the very tightest rhythm section.

450DK, Thanks again for the help. I ran my normal settings in practice, and the first night, and the second day I tried your advice. It made a huge difference keeping the front up in the whoops, and as an added bonus, seemed to help in the G-outs between transitions in the very tightest rhythm section.

:thumbsup:

And you didnt hurt yourself??

Not a scratch :thumbsup: Actually 3 of us went and only one guy had a real spill, but we all walked away healthy. I dunno if I'd ride it every week, but for a once a year thing, it's fun :bonk: