Sign in to follow this  

Problem with 2010 RMZ250

I recently purchased a 2010 RMZ250 and I have not ridden the bike in about 2 months. Today I wanted to go riding but once the bike starts it cuts out again after 20 seconds. It would start again first or second kick and then run again for 20 seconds and then stop. I even timed it with a stop watch and it would cut out at exactly 20 seconds. :thumbsup:

Anybody got any ideas?

It could possibly be a problem with the fuel sensor.

The sensor works in a way that it cuts out the engine when its laid over (crashed) after a period of time, saving your engine.

Its located under the fuel tank inside a rubber boot, the problem is that the bracket holding it is very nimble and can be easily bent, causing the ball bearing inside the sensor to act as if the bike is laid over and therefore cutting it out.

You might of accidentally bent it whilst changing a spark plug or using a pressure washer. Its easily fixed, all you've got to do is bend it back haha so the ball bearing sits correctly and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

I had the exact same problem and thats how we fixed it :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thanks Ryley. That could very well be the problem as I had the fuel tank off to fit a hour meter. I may have bent the bracket. I will check it out in the morning and hopefully that is the problem. It had be puzzled all day, I was just about to go and read through my manual to see if I could figure it out.

No worries mate.

It took a fair while until we figured it out, we even got it hooked up to a diagnostic machine haha. Lets hope thats all the problem is :thumbsup:

Ok thats unusual, when we first initially had the problem, everyone we asked didn't have a clue what the problem could be, so it might not be in the manual then, i'm not to sure. Best bet we'll be to have a look tomorrow and go from there.

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

You wont find the name of the sensor in the manual just the harness conector. The sensor sits dead center in the middle of the frame under the tank and infront of the coil. When the sensor is tripped it has about 20 seconds to reset or the ecu will shut off the motor. It is not a instant shut down when the senor is tripped or the bike would shut down every time you cornered sharp or landed from a jump.

Thanks guys, was indeed the problem. I had installed it upside down, flipped it over and bike started up and runs perfect again. Just annoying that there is no mention of this in the manual as I had driven a hour each way to go riding. Had it been a race day I would have been fuming!

But I am happy it is nothing serious, and there is no problem with the bike, just a mechanic error :thumbsup:

Ah, this looks like the problem I'm having (and a lot of other posters I'm searching through). A photo would be nice so I know what to look for too. 

Better description here: 

thanks ryley for sharing, forums are here for people to ask for information but giving info is even better. the TOS (tip over sensor) on the 2011/12 rmz (10 should be the same) should be located under the fuel tank, it is mounted on the down tube of the steerings stem just above and forward of the camshaft cover. it is a rectangular sensor which slides into a rubber boot, which in turn is mounted on the frame. This problem is reported more-so on 450's (mostly due to people forgetting to put it back on the mount or into the boot so flops around and cuts the bike out). sometimes the TOS will can also stick after a crash.

Aha - found a pic of the tip over sensor in the manual ('12) at the bottom of page 4-15 :-)

Edited by brenno