XR650L: All Show, no go. HELP!

Took my 93 XR650L for a ride yesterday. She started fine and ran great. I stopped by a friends for about an hour. Started the bike up to leave and she idled good for a few minutes, then she stalled.... now she won't start. She turns over and occasionally and gives signs that she might start but still nothing.

One time she back fired extremely loud. I am guessing CDI but not sure why it would run fine and then quit. Drained the battery trying to start her so will try again today. Any thing I should try or look for?

Update: I forgot to mention that on an earlier ride yesterday, she stopped running for no reason. Hit the starter switch and she fired right up. On the way to my friends, she did the same thing.

Edited by 3rdGear
Update

Check and make sure your getting fuel. Also you might have a stuck float in the carb. Try tapping on the float bowl with the plastic end of a big screw driver. Sometimes this will dislodge a stuck float. I wouldn't rule out the CDI box. A friend of mine had a 2001 with a intermittent working CDI. It took us most of the summer to firgure it out. We tore everything imaginable apart, checked it cleaned it, rechecked it. Finally we broke down and bought a CDI box. It had been the problem all along. It never did it all the time just once in awhile. I have never had a CDI box fail so we didin't want to buy one until we were absolutely sure it was nothing else, lesson learned.

Would three count as "at least two"?

Thanks for keeping us informed. So how many have you been able to repair compared to the three that couldn't be fixed?

We all appreciate that you're willing to do this by the way.

Yup,,,,,,,"at least 2" was right.......i got another dead one after we last spoke...

I`ve repaired at least 30 i think.........3 are dead.........

I`ve got ,,,,i think,,,a good repairable one that i`m gonna fix up and send you for a spare,wish i could do this more,but getting

these for nothing is a hard find....i got one from New Zealand and another from Australia,man you meet the nicest people on these

forums,,,,,i`ve sent out,given away a pile of stuff and helped a pile of people doing CDI`s from as far away as New Zealand,Australia,

Elsalvador,etc........but all i`ve done doesn`t put a dent in what others do and have done for others on these forums........

I`ll let you know when i get off my rear and try and fix up that CDI......but i`m not really repairing these till late April or early May..i need my bike as a tester..

I was building a bench mounted test unit for testing CDI`s........but it`s been slow going,and a much needed part (PG generator) i bought from a guy on ADVrider seems to have been lost in the mail,,,,,,figures......?

B

• 1 month later...

That is exactly what my '95 is doing, crank it and crank it, then it backfires. This really sucks !!! I put a new cdi box & coil on it last year, now its doing the same thing again. I guess I might have 2 cdi boxes for Brian Hare. If he wants them.

That is exactly what my '95 is doing, crank it and crank it, then it backfires. This really sucks !!! I put a new cdi box & coil on it last year, now its doing the same thing again. I guess I might have 2 cdi boxes for Brian Hare. If he wants them.

A brand new CDI shouldn't fail that quick, you might want to check/test your pulse generator and/or spark plug/cap also. :cheers:

Try grounding both wires that go to the clutch lever switch.

Try hitting the CDI.

Dave

I only shut it off if its going to be put up for more than a day. If it was a 2 stroke maybe.

I shut mine off whenever I walk away from it. A sticky needle and seat and you have a gas flood... best case scenario it happens outside and you are walking, worst case it happens in the garage... water heater lights... WHOOSH! Flame on:foul:

Yup.......i`ve repaired a few with really low miles,one was an 08 with under 5000 miles...

Take the CDI out flip it over and smack the back of it all over with a screwdriver handle.........if it runs you need to either buy another CDI or send me the bad ones to be repaired..

B

Yup.......i`ve repaired a few with really low miles,one was an 08 with under 5000 miles...

Take the CDI out flip it over and smack the back of it all over with a screwdriver handle.........if it runs you need to either buy another CDI or send me the bad ones to be repaired..

B

you do these repairs for free,pay it foward or charge for the repair?

B

Out of the 30 something that you've "repaired", how many were only a year old? I'd be willing to bet that it was a very small percentage.

If it were me, before I popped another $100+ for another new CDI, I'd check the rest of the ignition system because the chances are pretty slim that you'd go through two CDI in two years.