XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation

I recently purchased a Shorai, LFX09A2 battery for my Honda XR650L. The Shorai battery weighs 4.8 pounds less than the stock battery, and its small size allowed me to relocate the battery on top of the XR650L air box. ?

I prepared the seat pan by removing the lateral rib that extends in front of the air box, and shaving the excess flashing from the vent holes.

XR650LSaddleTrimforShorai007.jpg

Then I removed all the contents from the battery box, and freed the wiring harness from the battery box. I disconnected the CDI unit, and pulled the fuses from the fuse box. After the battery box was empty, I removed it completely from the motorcycle, shedding over 10 pounds of highly placed weight. ?

ShoraiBatteryRelocation010.jpg

Next, I loosened all the wiring connected to the air box, and I disconnected all the plugs. I then pulled the wires leading to the battery box under the frame, and cleared them from the top of the air box. Next, I cut back the tape about 1 ½-inches from the fork on the main wiring harness.

ShoraiBatteryRelocation021.jpg

This allowed me to shove the main wiring harness down into the space in front of the air box.? One of the wiring boots is located on the right side of the fuel tank. I rerouted all the wires leading to this wiring boot in front of the shock absorber. :busted: I also shoved the wiring boot coming from the right side of the fuel tank down into the space in front of the air box.?

ShoraiBatteryRelocation030.jpg

I then prepared a flat surface for the Shorai battery by trimming the small, lateral wall on the top front of the air box.?

ShoraiBatteryRelocation039.jpg

After lengthening the wires leading from the tail light and turn signals, I routed these wires from the left side of the bike, under the frame, into the area in front of the air box. I routed the wire from the rear brake switch from the right side of the bike, under the frame, into the same area.

After placing the Shorai battery into position, I reconnected all the wires, and routed the CDI wire, the starter relay, and the fuse box outside the frame, to the right, rear end of the air box.

ShoraiBatteryRelocation041.jpg

After changing the position of the connectors on the starter relay, I mounted the starter relay, and the fuse box, onto the top, rear of the air box, outside the frame. I routed the CDI wire into the hole of the air box, and attached the CDI unit inside the air box with a zip tie. :bonk:

XR650Lbatteryboxgone009.jpg

After reinstalling the fuses, I trimmed a small portion of the “wall” surrounding the air intake to allow me to connect the positive terminal to the battery. Finishing the job, I connected both battery terminals, and reinstalled the fuses. ?

Batteryrelocationwithoutsaddle006.jpg

Batteryrelocationwithoutsaddle008.jpg

The saddle re-installs as easily as it did before.? By removing the battery box, I shaved a little over 10 pounds from my motorcycle. The Shorai battery weighs 1.2 pounds, so the net weight loss resulting from this battery relocation was about 9 pounds.?

Spud?

• Like 5

Spud,

The LFX09A2 is listed as the 'racing' battery for the 650L. Compared to the Honda's standard lead-acid battery how well does this smaller Shorai turn over the the big single?

The LFX09A2 cranks my XR650L starter motor very strongly; I am quite pleased with its performance. ? The stock, YTX9-BS battery is rated at 8AH, and 120 cca. The smaller, LFX09A2 battery is rated at 9AH, and 135 cca. ? The other batteries recommended by Shorai for the XR650L employ the larger, A1 form factor; therefore, they are too big to be relocated above the air box, as in my installation.?

Spud :busted:

Yesterday I applied a 3" x 2" piece of Scotch Multi-Purpose Fastener to hold my Shorai battery to the top of the air box.? After riding around a bit the last couple days, I removed the saddle today to take some photographs. Pulling on the battery, I discovered it was very firmly attached, and the "velcro" is doing a excellent job! I am very confident the Shorai battery will not shift position. ?

As promised, here are some photographs showing the location of my repositioned starter relay, and fuse box. :bonk:

starterrelayposition004.jpg

starterrelayposition005.jpg

Here's a top view from the left side of the bike, showing how the right side plastic covers the starter relay.

starterrelayposition009.jpg

Finally, here's a view from the right side of the bike, showing how the saddle overlaps the right side cover, protecting the starter relay from moisture.

starterrelayposition012.jpg

To better protect the fuse box from moisture, I have decided to extend the wiring, and move the fuse box under the saddle. Other than this final modification, I consider my Shorai battery relocation to be complete. ?

XR650Lbatteryboxgone030.jpg

Edited by SpudRider

Nice write up, thanks!!

Now, are you going to get a XR600 side plate?

When I do this mod, I'm thinking of keeping the battery box and using it to store my spare tube.......

You're welcome. ? Yes, I have ordered the XR600R, left side cover; I am eagerly awaiting its delivery.?

Keeping the battery box is a valid option. :bonk: Merely replacing the stock battery with a Shorai, LFX09A2 battery will shed over 4.5 pounds from the bike. ?

• Like 1

Hi Spud, another copy cat here. I just ordered my battery. Where are you getting your XR600 side cover from?

Copy away, BM. ? I was placing another order with Rocky Mountain ATV/MC; therefore, to save on shipping charges, I ordered the XR600R, left side cover from them.? I had considered getting an aftermarket side cover, but I decided to avoid possible fitment issues by sticking with a Honda, OEM side cover. ?

Great job. I ordered my battery and then found out the next day via email that they are back-ordered. I can't find one anywhere right now.

Thank you, BM. ? Shorai stated they underestimated demand for their batteries.? They also stated they are making improvements to the next batch of batteries. I can't complain about mine; it cranks the engine very well, and it has a two-year warranty. :bonk:

Spud :ride: