Wa Da Buc!!! Letting Bubba get back on his bike!

Come on man. He was clearly dizzy from a concussion. You dont need to be knocked out to get one. I have have many head injuries. I know one when I see one.

Why did they let him get back on the track and risk other riders safetly. This is pure none sence!

Come on man. He was clearly dizzy from a concussion. You dont need to be knocked out to get one. I have have many head injuries. I know one when I see one.

Why did they let him get back on the track and risk other riders safetly. This is pure none sence!

I thought the same thing when it happened. Was more than a bit concerned for his and others safety. But then again, James must know as well that he was gonna be alright? After all, if he actually did suffer a concusion I don't think he would have gone from a crash like that, sitting in 20th and then work all the way back to 7th..... It was a super human effort none the less, whether folks are fans or not.... No doubt he was juuuussst a bit punch drunk after that happened.....

He may have been buzz'd for a bit but racing from last to 9th doesn't look like he was that bad off.

Besides, who did he injure finishing the race. ?

Basically what your saying is every time a rider hits the ground they should be out of the race....because majority of lap times are under a min in SX and how long will it take to get a examination and clearance to rejoin the race???

JS is a big boy, he can make his own choices. I would be more mad if they denied him the right to race. He made it to 9th. salvaged so many points. and saved the season from becoming boring.

Also it's fair to say that JS takes out riders regardless of how well his brain is functioning.

I loved how he imediatly got up, went right to his bike. That was impressive.

I too was worried that they let him get on the bike for his safety and others on the track.

IMO, Not sure a “full examination is required” in this situation. If a rider stumbles to their bike and falls over trying to get on that should be enough for any medic to confidently step in. Much like watching a boxing match when a guy can no longer protect himself the ref stops the fight.

Any rider, just like any fighter, given the chance would decide continue.

That said I could not believe it that he was able to come up to 9th from a crash like that. Got to give the guy some props for that.

http://www.sportsconcussions.org/NFL-announces-new-sideline-protocol.html

This topic is pretty hot is sports right now.

Feb 25- NFL teams now have a standardized sideline concussion protocol developed by the NFL Head, Neck, and Spine Medical Committee, which if approved, will become league policy perhaps as early as next season. Designed to be given within 6-8 minutes after a suspected concussion, it tests concentration, balance, and thinking skills. Players take the test at the beginning of the season to determine a "baseline" and then again after a suspected injury.

Racing doesn't have a 6-8 min window.

We might assume that nothing's being said because we can't see the rider's mouth moving but I'm sure Bubba was saying something along the lines of:

"Yes, I'm fine dammit - can you believe this shit - where the hell is my bike, seriously, where is my bike, I've gotta at least finish or I'm outta this championship, dammit!"

If he was barely able to stand, or bleeding, Asterisk should have the authority to pull the plug(?)!

IMO, Not sure a “full examination is required” in this situation. If a rider stumbles to their bike and falls over trying to get on that should be enough for any medic to confidently step in.

The reason why he couldn't get his leg over the bike was that his rear fender was jacked up and he didn't realize it when he tried to swing his leg over it.

IMO, Not sure a “full examination is required” in this situation.

If something like this was started would you want to be a medical person excepting the responsibility and LIABILITY for the rider and others with just a brief look or actually making sure the rider is fit to return to racing?

They need to leave it up to the riders discretion.

I agree with the OP...When he fell trying to get back on his bike that should have been it.

The trackside personell who let him back in the race need more training in how to evaluate someone track side. That wasn't just a tumble or slide out in a turn, that crash was a miss the jump, over the bars, land on his head major get off. It is the kind of accident that has put other riders in wheelchairs. It should have been mandatory for him to be checked out. What were they thinking? He could have had a major injury to his cervicle spine and getting back in the race could have cost him everything, not to mention what it could have cost other riders on the track.

We may never know the full extent of Bubba's injury now because it's out of the officials hands but don't be surprised if he misses a round or two. Maybe even the rest of the season...Hopefully not, but it's possible...Hopefully his team and those who advise him are making sure he's getting good medical advice and adhering to it!

I agree with the OP...When he fell trying to get back on his bike that should have been it.

The trackside personell who let him back in the race need more training in how to evaluate someone track side. That wasn't just a tumble or slide out in a turn, that crash was a miss the jump, over the bars, land on his head major get off. It is the kind of accident that has put other riders in wheelchairs. It should have been mandatory for him to be checked out. What were they thinking? He could have had a major injury to his cervicle spine and getting back in the race could have cost him everything, not to mention what it could have cost other riders on the track.

We may never know the full extent of Bubba's injury now because it's out of the officials hands but don't be surprised if he misses a round or two. Maybe even the rest of the season...Hopefully not, but it's possible...Hopefully his team and those who advise him are making sure he's getting good medical advice and adhering to it!

Should Barcia be out because of riding with a cast on his hand??? I doubt there's a rider out there that isn't riding without an injury...

Could'a, should'a, would'a, makes great Forum spew. ???

My objection to letting him back on was what was the potential for a more serious injury to himself as a result of going back on the track? Had he bit it again, even if not as severe as that crash, the potential medical implications would have been huge. If BS ended up in a coma, do you think the backlash would have been greater than not letting him continue to ride? I do give him props for getting back on and finishing, even though, I would bet it was on auto pilot.

does checking him out after the race change anything versus letting him race?

Have you ever fallen over on a hill during a race, then stood below your bike and tried to get on it? i have, mid race. Couldn't get my leg up and over, bike got off centered and i dropped it. In the haste to get on the bike, i didn't think to get the bike to level ground it cost me time. And i'm not 5'8" and my rear fender wasn't jacked. Hell, i have a hard time getting on the bike during a race on flat ground. Damn boot weighs so much and you aren't thinking clearly.

From what i saw JS did the same thing. He was running on adrenaline and in race mode.

i have mixed feelings on this. what i mean is, if this were an amature race and normal guys were out there riding that could be hurt by him if he was still half loopy.... then no way. it could end their ability to provide for their families just by doing something that is a hobby.

at the pro level, i think letting the rider get on the bike is part of the risk of being a pro. just to get your pro license is a feat in itself..... one that the average guy who does not aspire to be at the top level will normally never attain. as a pro, these guys know what they are getting into.... getting injured means their career and/or income can be decreased or eliminated. loosing points means the same thing. guys are already out for the season because of injuries sustained from other riders. josh grant is out with a torn ACL because of jeff alessi pushing him through the tuff-blocks. jason thomas is out with a torn ACL because Stewart jumped and landed on top of him..... and thomas was a lapped rider.

if i were to go to a local race and i had a soil sample like james had, i would expect that i wouldn't be allowed back on the track so that i didn't hurt someone that has to go to their real job on monday, and to make sure that i didn't have any injuries that could be life threatening...... now, if i smacked my head really hard at work with either machinery or product, you can bet i'd be working instantly if i felt like i could.... and that has happened.

james on the other hand made millions of dollars last year and missed almost the entire season due to a wrist injury. before last night, he was within 10pts of RV for the championship. riding for fun with other riders that are riding for fun is different than guys that ride as their livelyhood and millions of dollars that are at stake. i know that is sad, but it is true. if james would have walked off the track the other night, most likely, he would have been out of the championship being this far into the season. he would have been 34pts down. he was conscious enough that he knew he had to do damage control and get some points back or his income is going to go bye bye compared to current levels. and as expected, james did a phenominal job of damage control.

again, i know that sounds crappy of me but at that level of competition, i don't think the same rules should apply to pros as it would for hobby guys. what is at stake is much greater for them if they don't complete a race..... and every single rider that runs at that level knows it and accepts it. jmo

This is a professional medical crew that got a first-hand look at Bubba to see if he was alright. If he presented them with any reason to think he shouldn't be back out on the track, they'd have told him to park it.

If you watch the replay of the incident, at no time did the medical crew even look at James. They were too busy holding his bike up and making sure her got back in the race. The medical crew did not do their job. ?

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/ASK-THE-MXPERTS-SHOULDNT-JAMES-STEWART-BE-DQED-FOR-7737.aspx

• Like 1