CDI box

I figured it would work as well, but I called the local yamaha dealer and their service dept said they are different. But I think I remember seeing the same part #'s for aftermarket CDIs for 06-08 450s. So I am very hesitent to believe them...

Okay, I think thats what is throwing most of these bozos behind the counter off. They kept telling me that they had different part numbers, but I told them that its probably because they are different maps not different housings. But thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

They are definitely different maps. You know how so many guys on here are always bagging the '08-'09 for being soft down low and in the middle? Well...

If you want to drop 4-5 horsepower at 5-6000 rpm, bolt an '08 CDI to your steering head and rage onward. An '07 won't be quite as bad, but still tends to soften the low end a bit. An '04 will work, but it will kill the high end just a little, and might give you more low end than you want. The '05 box just sucks, basically. Avoid it.

Another quick question... I have basically zero experience when it comes to electrical stuff, but i am wrong to assume its basically a plug and go procedure? or is a little more extensive to swap out the CDI?

The '03, and to a lesser extent, the '04 were broadly criticized as being too aggressive to be rideable by most people (the term "mere mortals" was used a lot). Yamaha "softened" the '05 with the timing map, but most people thought they went way too far the opposite direction with that. Some insist that they own YZ250F's that hit harder. The '05 CDI might be a choice for someone who wants a very mild, rider friendly motor, but not if you like a good amount of grunt in the mid range.

If you ever get to ride an '04 or an '06, you'll see what I'm saying.

They are definitely different maps. You know how so many guys on here are always bagging the '08-'09 for being soft down low and in the middle? Well...

If you want to drop 4-5 horsepower at 5-6000 rpm, bolt an '08 CDI to your steering head and rage onward. An '07 won't be quite as bad, but still tends to soften the low end a bit. An '04 will work, but it will kill the high end just a little, and might give you more low end than you want. The '05 box just sucks, basically. Avoid it.

Dont know where you got these numbers but surely they are incorrect. You have any proof or is that just an estimation?

The '03, and to a lesser extent, the '04 were broadly criticized as being too aggressive to be rideable by most people (the term "mere mortals" was used a lot). Yamaha "softened" the '05 with the timing map, but most people thought they went way too far the opposite direction with that. Some insist that they own YZ250F's that hit harder. The '05 CDI might be a choice for someone who wants a very mild, rider friendly motor, but not if you like a good amount of grunt in the mid range.

If you ever get to ride an '04 or an '06, you'll see what I'm saying.

Well, would i be possible to mount a 06 cdi on my 05. and where could i get one?

i feel like it has alot of power, but as i said before i never tryed any other 450's ?

It is quite a dip. Most slip-on exhausts (it doesn't seem to matter which one very much) will add between 5-7 hp by actual Dyno readout on an '08, but only in the range between 4-6500 rpm. The CDI is worth about half that. I did see a dyno run on this change, but there were things about the way the test was run that made it less than totally scientific. But a ride on another bike did seem to bear out the results.