2004 TE250 Problems

Hey everybody. Ive been a member here for some time now but mainly used the information rather than post up. However, right now i have some issues im sure somebody could help me out with.

So today I went out riding with a few friends. We went to the stead track here in Nevada. Over the last few months ive noticed 2 things, ive been burning oil when the bike is cold (i was going to get the engine rebuilt over winter) and ive had trouble every once and a while shifting gears. usually it has trouble from 1st to 2nd. it sticks at neutral a lot. well today i while riding it seemed to get worse. then all of a sudden i just plain cant shift out of 1st gear unless i hit the shifter about 8 times. then from neutral to 2nd it took another 8 tries or so. i also noticed something was wrong with my clutch. it was either fully engaged or fully disengaged and when it finally did engage it did so VERY hard. so i got back to the truck only to find out that i had lost a lot of oil...it seemed to be coming out of my intake...im really confused here. can anybody shine some light on the subject?

the bike is a 2004 Husqvarna TE250

Thanks for the information ahead of time!

I have had oil burning issues with my 04. It could burn 200ml in 150 miles, a new piston, rings and valve stem oil seals did the trick. I have fitted 2 pistons since the bike was new they seem to last between 4to5000mile each.

Some oil in the inlet is usual because the vacumm draws the oil mist via the breather pipe. An excessive amount can be a sign of worn rings and the lost compression from the cylinder is presurising the crankcase/gearbox.

Your clutch is meant to run wet and gearbox will be running low because all available oil will be pumped to higher places. Chances are these will fine when topped up again run it to flush it round and then drain it off to see if anything comes out that should'nt.?

here is the breakdown on parts if i were to do the job myself. i have never done one so im getting together a group of guys that have done lots of top ends and clutches to help me out:

Piston Kit: $175

Clutch Kit: $112

im hoping a top end and clutch will fix it. it seems like the lack of oil killed the clutch.

the top end kit, all the gaskets, and the new clutch is on its way. here is an update though. after tearing down 1/2 the bike i found where the oil was coming from. in the picture you can see a piece that a hose would attach to. connected to that piece is a hose (right above the blue fitting). well, the hose that connects to that goes to the intake box. that is where the oil was coming out of. the oil was never going through the carb. so the open fitting you see here is where the oil was coming out of. does this help any?

attachment.php?attachmentid=27787&d=1300221179

Where has the hose gone?

If you have run the bike without this hose connected, Worst case scenario it will have drawn dirty air through the carb as it bypassed the airfilter so getting into the valves and cylinder.

At the connection on the cam cover you can lose oil aswell as ingress dirt into the engine and gearbox. As the piston travels up n down the crankcase pressure pulses so it effectively breathes in and out.

Of course it depends on the enviroment where you've ridden as to what you may find in your motor when you strip it,

I hope its not serious.

so i was talking to somebody yesterday who was saying that might be an overflow. during the day i had laid the bike down (not very hard) but the motor was still running because the back tire was up in the air. he said what might have happened is it was pumping oil and since the bike was running on its side it just pumped the oil out of there. would that be a possibility?

so i was talking to somebody yesterday who was saying that might be an overflow. during the day i had laid the bike down (not very hard) but the motor was still running because the back tire was up in the air. he said what might have happened is it was pumping oil and since the bike was running on its side it just pumped the oil out of there. would that be a possibility?

You hav'nt got much left to take off, I took off as little as poss when I did mine though I admit your way it should be a lot easier get at.

For its age 04 it looks in excellent condition:thumbsup:

In UK we have alot of Limestone and Peat that eats your bike in front of your eyes! so my 100th aniversary model now looks 100 year old ?

The pipe is a vent not an overflow, but if your bike is upside down like mine usually is then it is posible for oil to find its way out of there with engine running or not.

If a slug of oil gets into the filter housing you can burn it and it smokes for while. I regularly check the pipe on mine is not full of oil or kinked as this will stop it breathing which it is meant to do.

You hav'nt got much left to take off, I took off as little as poss when I did mine though I admit your way it should be a lot easier get at.

For its age 04 it looks in excellent condition:thumbsup:

In UK we have alot of Limestone and Peat that eats your bike in front of your eyes! so my 100th aniversary model now looks 100 year old ?

The pipe is a vent not an overflow, but if your bike is upside down like mine usually is then it is posible for oil to find its way out of there with engine running or not.

If a slug of oil gets into the filter housing you can burn it and it smokes for while. I regularly check the pipe on mine is not full of oil or kinked as this will stop it breathing which it is meant to do.

every 6 months or so ill take everything off and detail it just to keep it in good condition. laugh all you want but when im done detailing it i spray the bike down with Armor All. it helps a lot when you go to wash the bike the mud doesnt stick as easily!

Nothing to laugh at, Your efforts have paid you well, keep it up.?

Let us know how you get on with your motor!

Thanks! Parts will be in Monday...hopefully. Then the rebuild should start not this weekend because parts aren't in yet but next weekend. Im hoping a top end and clutch will solve the problem

ya that hose is a crankcase breather....I disconnected mine and ran it up by the radiators and put a little breather filter on it...and plugged the hole in the airbox...

if you fall on your right side it will pump some oil out into the airbox....