Tippmann98

Should I buy this Honda 250sx?

I've never owned a trike before and I know you guys can be a lot of help. My question is, should I buy this Honda ATC 250sx for $150?

250sx003.jpg

250sx001.jpg

250sx002.jpg

It's been parked in the barn for a few yrs. It's my cousin's and he had it running (but not well) before he parked it. The front fender is cracked, the headlight plastic is cracked, and it needs a new brake perch. One of the front forks is cracked and will need replaced. It's got 18" Turf Tamers on the back but one won't hold air.

Clearly it's going to need some TLC along with some new parts to get it looking/running good. What's it worth if I bought it and tried to flip it on Craigslist in the condition it's in now? Maybe $250? About how much would it be worth if I got it running good and replaced the broken/cracked parts before selling it? Thanks for the help!

if it was a tri-z or 250r or 350x yeah, but that thing is broke junk and even restored it's nothing special

• Like 1

you would probably make more money, parting it out on Flea-bay.

That's the last resort of course but you think I could get my money back and even profit a little by parting it out?

That's the last resort of course but you think I could get my money back and even profit a little by parting it out?

search E-bay for the parts you will be listing. see if there selling and how much. If there is a demand for the parts you list, they will sell. I always start stuff at .99 and let the bidding begin. good luck

I would go for that. Those old air cooled hondas run forever. Those 250sx's are still fairly popular ice-fishing machines in my neck of the woods. They usually pull $600-$800 around here in decent shape. That one looks to be decent shape in need of a good cleaning.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The rear brake drum is seized. As soon as I get that in working order I'm gonna push it outside and pressure wash it. A good wash will make a world of difference.

dang man...I was gonna say buy it before your last picture... glad you did! not too shabby.

I've looked on eBay and there's not many choices for front forks for a 250sx. Just curious if forks from a different model would bolt right on? I'm glad I bought it. I'm beginning to like it more and more. Might be hard to let it go 👍

I don't believe any of the sport trike forks will fit on. Also, the front is a drum brake, the rest are disk.

Looks good. It's a fun sport trike that can get down and work when you need it to. Don't forget to GET SIDEWAYS when you find a sweet dirt corner. Gotta lean off the side though.. It's not your girlfriends quad.

I'll just have to wait for a good deal to come around on eBay for the forks. I think I diagnosed the problem to why it would run for about a minute before it died out. I took apart the fuel petcock to clean it up and it's clogged. Gas will trickle thru it but won't flow freely.

Got the new petcock today. Put everything together, hooked up a battery to it (to save my leg!) and it would turn over fine but not fire. So I decided to take the spark plug out and inspect it. Which I shoulda immediately after I brought it home but for some reason I didnt. Anyways, I pulled the plug out and did some research. Apparently the plug belongs to a Harley Davidson and not a Honda ATC. Would that cause the trike to run poorly or not fire at all? I don't have the new plug yet so I don't know how different they are. Just thinking out loud.

Just incase anyone was following this, I put a new sparkplug in it and rebuilt the carb as the float needle was seized and the jets didn't look too great. Started up 2nd kick today and i've been riding it around! Not too bad for a $150 bike and $48 in parts to get it running

Good to see you got it running.

IMO, the SX is a BigRed with longer travel suspension and no racks, a BigRed Sport of sorts. Ride it like a true sport trike and the weight becomes a problem. Use it for trail riding at moderate speeds and for work, you'll enjoy it. Drum brakes wear very quickly for off road use and aren't very good stoppers when wet or muddy.

The light weight of trikes is what makes them agile, the larger utility trikes become a real handfull if ridden hard.

If you like riding it and want to get into more sporty riding, maybe you can trade it for a 200X or get lucky and swap for a 350X or even a 250R.

You can ride it hard, but being what it is, it will take a beating and things will keep breaking. It is a utility trike that wants to be something else.

Well ya, I'm not gonna just stare at it while it idles :cheers:

I'm gonna keep it for a little while to putt around the farm on. When it comes time to sell I'll just have to see what people offer me. A 350x or 250r would be great but I'd have to throw in too much cash to make it a fair deal I think. I'll just have to see how I like it since today was the first time I've ever ridden a 3-wheeler.