Sign in to follow this  

New here, first bike, 03 YZ250F

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a few weeks while looking for a bike, great place. I'm 31 and the wife FINALLY gave me the OK to get a dirt bike..lol

I've ridden a dirt bike or motorcycle in general only once in my life about 12 years ago so I'm very new to this.

I picked up a 03 YZ250F, seems to be in good shape, guy before me took good care of it and didn't ride it much. Looks like it has upgraded suspension from LGS (place here in Toronto) and a couple "odd" non-stock things such as safety wire looped around the carb, red adjustment screw on the carb, weird bolt and nylock washer on the head, I have pics below. The guy told me the original this bike was from a guy on the film crew of Dirt Trax Television back in the day, couldn't find anything online so he could have just said that because of the sticker on the swing arm.

I've already done a few things like change the oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant, adjusted levers, suspension, etc. and it's running pretty good (in my driveway).

I took all the old peeling stickers off and ordered some normal looking Factory FX ones that I'll put on when they come in.

Here are some pics and I have questions for some of the pics.

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

This is the tie wire, I assume this isn't stock?

DSC_0749.jpg

This is the red adjustment screw:

DSC_0748.jpg

This is what looks like a weird contraption of a Allen key bolt through a Nylock nut screwed into the head.....sure looks like something you can find at home depot, thoughts on the purpose?

DSC_0746.jpg

Well, that's it, looking forward to contributing to the site and learning along the way.

Jay

The tie-wire for the carb is definitely not stock. I bought the '03 when it was new and raced it for three seasons. Wish I would have kept it. The intake manifold was this rubber boot that would sometimes split due to jump landing or other impacts putting stress on that boot. After mine split (about 6 months of riding/racing) I had to replace this manifold. I learned thru losing a weekend of riding that if I zip-tied the carb to the frame above it that this would lessen the movement of the carb and keep this from happening again. Never had this problem again, so I would say it worked. Enjoy the bike, it should be good to you.

Congrats on the bike. I just sold my 03, they're a good bike. I would look at the suspension bearings and check the piston and valves if I were you. Good Luck!

Ditto above... still have my 03, great machine. Check your linkage and swingarm bearings and small bearings on the shock. Lube your cables, axles, wheel bearings, etc. I run a TwinAir with a Flow on top of that to help keep dirt out of the motor. Also taped up the large hole in the bottom of the air box because it will allow mud and dirt to go directly onto the filter. Just leave a small opening for water to drain out. Good luck with it and post often.

That last pic is the decompression plug. That isnt factory, Idk if it blew out and a homemade contraption fabricated to keep it in there. Idk,you can get aftermarket decomp. plugs for like 20 or 30 bucks tho.

Idk if my previous post appared or not. For some reason its not showing on my computer that I posted in this thread. But im going to repost it.

In that last pic that is your decompression plug. They can pop out and leak oil. That looks like a home made contraption of some sort to keep the plug in. You can get aftermarket plugs for like 20 or 30 bucks I believe.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll make sure to take care of the suspension bearings, axles and wheel bearings.

Welcome. I've always enjoyed the 03-05 years. I think they handle pretty well.

I agree with everyone else. Check your suspension linkage and wheel bearings. The suspension linkage isnt fun to take out, clean and lube but it's worth it.

Congrats! You'll love the big. I have an 03 as well and couldn't be happier. If you ever have any build questions I have over 200 teardown/build vidoes dedicated to the 03 on Youtube.

I will check out the Youtube vids for sure.

Is there a certain type of grease I should be looking for to do the wheel bearings and suspension linkages?

You definetely should. Thanks to you, Johnny, I rebuilt my engine myself. I saved a ton on labor. Also since then, I have done 2 more. Your videos are the best. Thanks for having the patience to make those videos

You definetely should. Thanks to you, Johnny, I rebuilt my engine myself. I saved a ton on labor. Also since then, I have done 2 more. Your videos are the best. Thanks for having the patience to make those videos

+1:thumbsup:

I've owned three different YZ250Fs, and the 03 was truly a great motorcycle. I raced mine hard for a year (03) and then gave it to my hot shoe fast kid and he raced it in 04. Between the two of us, we had something like 28 enduros and Hare Scrambles on the bike plus a ton of play & practice time. My son is a "bang it off the rev limiter" kind of rider, but it stayed solid. I adjusted the valves after the first season and they were still spot on when we sold it.

Your bike looks like it really hasn't been run a lot or not real hard. The steel framers will lose the paint off the frame almost immediately and yours looks good. Also, your engine case covers have a lot of the paint. Again, with much riding, the paint will be worn off.

The main thing on that year, was to get the jetting right, especially the leak jet to clear out the bog. And, the stock needle isn't as good as the newer (08+) bikes, but those can be swapped. Or, ride it like it is- it's got great potential.

Have fun with your new ride!

I am in the middle of rebuilding an 04. If the guy with the vids on youtube is johnsshop then I want to thank you. I checked all my work with your videos

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a few weeks while looking for a bike, great place. I'm 31 and the wife FINALLY gave me the OK to get a dirt bike..lol

I've ridden a dirt bike or motorcycle in general only once in my life about 12 years ago so I'm very new to this.

I picked up a 03 YZ250F, seems to be in good shape, guy before me took good care of it and didn't ride it much. Looks like it has upgraded suspension from LGS (place here in Toronto) and a couple "odd" non-stock things such as safety wire looped around the carb, red adjustment screw on the carb, weird bolt and nylock washer on the head, I have pics below. The guy told me the original this bike was from a guy on the film crew of Dirt Trax Television back in the day, couldn't find anything online so he could have just said that because of the sticker on the swing arm.

I've already done a few things like change the oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant, adjusted levers, suspension, etc. and it's running pretty good (in my driveway).

I took all the old peeling stickers off and ordered some normal looking Factory FX ones that I'll put on when they come in.

Here are some pics and I have questions for some of the pics.

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

This is the tie wire, I assume this isn't stock?

DSC_0749.jpg

This is the red adjustment screw:

DSC_0748.jpg

This is what looks like a weird contraption of a Allen key bolt through a Nylock nut screwed into the head.....sure looks like something you can find at home depot, thoughts on the purpose?

DSC_0746.jpg

Well, that's it, looking forward to contributing to the site and learning along the way.

Jay

The cable was put there to keep the carb from coming off. This was a big problem for the first few years on the YZ250F. Looks like you wont have to worry about that.

The plug (bolt with the nylock) is just plugging the hole where the old decompression mechanism went in. I would just leave it as long as its not leaking. There is a plug you can buy to put in there from the factory but again I wouldnt bother. It looks like its fine as is.

The red screw (fuel screw) is a nice thing not to have to add to the bike yourself. If its cold out and the bike is popping a bit you can adjust that to eliminate the popping for the most part.

I will check out the Youtube vids for sure.

Is there a certain type of grease I should be looking for to do the wheel bearings and suspension linkages?

I use RG 3 grease but any marine type grease is good because it really helps keep the moisture out of the bearings. Enjoy the bike. The YZ250F's are pretty much bullet proof if you take good care of them. :thumbsup:

Nice bike man, I'm new to the yamaha and just got an 06 yz250f last week myself.

I'm near Barrie and there are TONS of trails around here. If you're ever in the area send me a PM and maybe we could get out.

I had an 03 and put over 200 hours on it. Valves were in spec the whole time. Only issue I had was 4th gear in the transmission went at about 180 hours. I saw some posts on here that they are weak.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I thought I was going to install my new graphics this weekend and do the linkage and wheel bearings but I ended up organizing the garage all weekend :thumbsup:

So that will be the task this week and then I'll post updated pictures. I will also look for the "leak" jet and see how to adjust that.

Ok, I got the linkage removed, I did it without removing the swingarm, I assume the swingarm itself has some bearings I should be doing?

also, I noticed 2 of the oil seals on the linkage were torn so I ordered some new ones, hopefully it's easy to replace.

i was lucky, there was no string cheese, someone had gone through the pleasure of removing it and replacing with regular grease already. Although it was due for a cleaning and applying of new grease.