Sign in to follow this  

Is a CRF450x a good bike for commuting

Hi guys.

I've riden a friends CRF450x on a MX track and know I like the bike. I'm thinking about looking at an 06 CRF450x that is set up for the street. I would be using it as a daily commuter about 50 miles round trip and would get up to 60mph.

Does anyone see any issues with using the bike for that? I know the CRF's have small oil pans and I'm concerned I would be changing the oil to often or that I would always be to high in the RPM's to cruise at 60 mph.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

there are better choices for a commuter....

Thanks. I started reading a bunch of the old posts about plating a CRF and think I'll find something else. I dont want to change the oil weekly and fill up the gas daily.

When I had my supermoto setup, I rode my bike a couple times to work. Super fun and make ya feel like a hooligan with all the stares ya get! :ride: My commute was similar to what you are talking about (40miles round trip and ~60mph top speed). I just planned the oil change weekly, not a huge deal, and the tank would last a couple days (I generally get 50-60 mpg on my X). Is it an ideal commuter, not by any chance, but will you find a much funner commuter, doubt it :bonk::thumbsup:

What exactly did you do to get 50-60 mpg on your X? mine gets uh.... definitely not that. Did you just massively re-gear it?

Nope, That was with a 14/51 gear setup. I'm now running 14/50 but haven't re-measured. The few times I've actually measured with offroad riding, I've always been low to mid 50s. (That's verified mileage on my gps). The only modifications I had done was correctly re-jetting, mildly opened airbox, and stock exhaust with baffle removed.

If you want to use your bike on the trails and tracks, but need to use it on the road as well. Then go ahead and buy one. If you are looking exclusively for a commuter, then I am sure there are more sensible options available, but I doubt without as much fun.

I say the above, as it seems strange to want the X solely as a commuter.

Are you planning on heading off road?? If so, what percentage of the time will be spent off road, and on road??

I smile inwards, every time I take my bike on the road!!!

Like others said, there are much better choices (DRZ), but I commute on mine every day during the week (in supermoto trim). I don't have a long commute, maybe 16 miles round trip? And it's through the city where I occasionally hit 55MPH.

I had AS Racing do the TRX intake valves and I put in a TRX piston in mine. It really helped with oil consumption and contamination. I change my engine oil about every two weeks and tranny oil about once a month. Think I have a lil over 3k miles on it and haven't had any issues *knocks on wood*.

I haven't done any real scientific gas mileage calculations, but I fill up about every 55 miles and have to put in about a gallon and a half (I have the smaller 1.9g tank on my 08). Feel free to do the math for me! I'd probably get better mileage if I didn't have so much stop and go...

Engine mods are JD jetting, side of airbox cut, R header and Leo Vince muffler. Gearing is 15/44 (with 17" wheels).

I actually jumped on I75 to go to the next exit the other day (probably about 2 miles). Pretty funny passing people on a dirtbike. I wouldn't do that for any extended amount of time though.

I'm pretty sure they come street legal in Australia and a few other places (Italy? New Zealand?)