So I didn't need this, especially as much of a project as it was... I almost passed on it... it was THAT BAD. On top of that, I messed up my right wrist last year and I've been trying to convince myself that I could live without a dedicated dirt bike. See how long that lasted? This bike came up on the local Craigslist and it peaked my curiosity. I emailed him and set up a time to see the bike. The guy selling it was pretty questionable, I'm pretty sure money from selling the bike was going to fund his drug habit for the next while. Even then, the paperwork and other info about the bike seemed on the up & up. Anyway... the bike... It's a '04 Yamaha WR450... and has been severely neglected and beat-up. Honestly, I was scared to ride the bike, considering that 2 teeth next to each other were totally missing from the front sprocket. I put on my gear and rode it up and down the street... and that was enough! The bad? Oil leaking from the valve cover, both sprockets and the chain are SHOT, 2 flat tires, front wheel bearings are shot, most of the bike was spray bombed flat black, bent brake levers, scratched headlight fairing, duct tape on the seat, a few broken/missing spokes on the rear wheel, front wheel bent in 2 places, etc, etc, etc. The good part? It fires right up, runs great and is silly fast. Other than all the neglect, the engine seems to have been taken care of, no valve train noise, clean air filter, etc. Also, the bike is titled (clear title), which means I could plate it tomorrow at the DMV, if I wanted to. Pretty big deal here in Colorado. The guy was asking $1000 and I honestly told him it wasn't worth that to me. I had cash and asked for his bottom line.... we settled on a price that we both were happy with, did the paperwork and loaded up the bike! I have a used set of big bars from my DR and a handful of other small spare part kicking around. Those will help me get a jump on fixing this bike up for the Summer! And so the project started.... brace yourselves, it's scary! How I got it... I pulled off the seat and side panels, sprayed on a LOT of degreaser, then took it to the pressure washer. The previous owner didn't even have the decency to wash the mud/dirt off, from his last ride. Then I ran down to the ACE hardware and picked up some paint stripper, to try undo the black rattle can paint job... it cleaned up well! I was concerned the factory frame paint would come up with the stripper, but it didn't! I tested the rear fender to see how well the stripper would work with the plastic and it seems OK. I'm not TOO worried about it though, since I'll be replacing it all anyhow. The other good things are... both tires look pretty good (Pirelli's) and it seems to have new brake pads front and rear. After I washed it I fired it up using the kickstart and it started on the 3rd kick, pretty good for a beat looking, cold 4 stroke! Again, it seems to run great. I was able to heat up the bent front brake lever with a small propane torch and bend it back into a normal looking shape. The battery wasn't holding a charge either, so I plugged in the mig welder and zapped the battery, put the battery on the charger and it seems to be holding a charge now! I ordered a bunch of maintenance parts, oil filters, spark plug, new heavy duty tubes, front wheel bearing, valve cover gasket and a new chain & sprocket kit. New plastics will come after I catch up on the mechanical stuff... but in the meantime, I did find a new/used Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank for the bike for $170! I'd like to find a new/used headlight fairing too.