HELP!! 07 wr450 fork gold valve installation

I have a 2007 wr450. I bought the race tech FMGV 2840 Type I gold vale kit to install.

My compression valve looks different from the diagram in the instructions. Mine has a compression spring? on the bottom of the body under the valve. Do I keep this spring in its original place and put the new valve and shim stack on top of it like the original? Race techs digital valve search says compression valve spring and spacer need to be removed from the compression adjuster body when installing gold valves. Does this mean to remove permanently???and what is the compression spring and spacer? I also have small shims under the nut on top of the cupped washer which are not on the diagram or mentioned in the instructions ,do these stay or are they ommited or replaced with ones from the kit?

Anyone who has installed this kit in a wr450 please shed some light on the proper set-up or post a picture of the R/T gold valve installed on the compression body.

Race tech says it's a do it yourself job,but their directions and illustrations are very vague. You would think that when you buy a product specific to a certain model/fork they would have a detailed direction sheet!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Edited by wilb67

Also,if I remove the compression spring and spacer,does that mean that the spring guide is still used as the base plate? Race tech says to use the stock base plate which doesn't make any sense!

Remove it all and your stacks should look something like this (choose your own stacks, example only).

Nut

Spring

Check plate

Gold Valve

(2).10x24

.10x21

.10x19

.10x17

.10x14

.10x13

.10x12

.10x11

1.25x19

Now without having one open in front of me, there might be a collar underneath the stack, or not, depends on if the height of the stack and piston is good for the nut. Should be pretty straight forward to see for yourself.

I have a 2007 wr450. I bought the race tech FMGV 2840 Type I gold vale kit to install.

My compression valve looks different from the diagram in the instructions. Mine has a compression spring? on the bottom of the body under the valve. Do I keep this spring in its original place and put the new valve and shim stack on top of it like the original? Race techs digital valve search says compression valve spring and spacer need to be removed from the compression adjuster body when installing gold valves. Does this mean to remove permanently???and what is the compression spring and spacer? I also have small shims under the nut on top of the cupped washer which are not on the diagram or mentioned in the instructions ,do these stay or are they ommited or replaced with ones from the kit?

Anyone who has installed this kit in a wr450 please shed some light on the proper set-up or post a picture of the R/T gold valve installed on the compression body.

Race tech says it's a do it yourself job,but their directions and illustrations are very vague. You would think that when you buy a product specific to a certain model/fork they would have a detailed direction sheet!

Thanks for any help you can give!

I've just done this in the last 2 weeks

Yes the instruction as a little vague, and I thought I have the wrong kit or there were bits missing, to start with but it all fell into place with a bit of thought

Toss the big spring and the top hat shaped spacer away

Place one of the big thick washer from the Gold valve kit onto the base valve - to act a stop plate (stops the shims bending too far back)

Then build up you shim stack as per the RT recommendations

Then place on the gold valve (make sure you get it the right way up - there a recess for the check plate collar to locate in which goes towards the nut end)

Rest is just replace what came off - the small collar spacer (that the check plate rides up & down on)and the check plate, the very light spring, the cupped washer, and the small washers and finally the nut

Are you modding the mid valve to get rid of the compression shims inside the cartridge?

Had my first ride yesterday on the new forks and they are real good

On a side note, the stock springs are supposed to be 0.46kgm/mm - they actually measured 0.41kg/mm - no wonder it was soft. Fitted some 0.44kg/mm K-Tech springs, set oil level at 110mm (the Race tech way) and now no more bottoming. Still have about 3/4" of travel elft after yesterday.

Hello guys!

I've encountered the same problem when installing the Race Tech golden valve kit because of vague instructions.

Now after reading some topics some things came together for me but i still have 1 or 2 questions to ask.

Generally it's clear that we remove the big spring and the top hat shaped spacer.

DSC_1747.JPG

Which washer do i use for base plate and which one for the check plate? Original or one from the RT's kit? The original base plate is with  bigger inner diameter.

DSC_1750.JPG

DSC_1749.JPG

Does the check plate have to cover the ports of the valve?

Thanks in advance!

Hard to read your writing, but looks like you need 2x19 base plate provided by rt kit. Then yes chek valve needs to cover ports. Usually 0.40 or 0.50 thick.

I did have 2x19 base plate but it's only one on the picture.

Thanks for the answer and sorry for my bad english.

Edited by MM73