Sign in to follow this  
mikesbaron

KLX650 weight and stock tank range?

Here are a couple of links showing the specs for the bike. I'm sure someone on here can give you a guess on the MPG. I don't ride mine enough on the road to know. Dry weight is listed as 337 for the "C" model I think, + 3 gal. of gas at about 7 lbs each = total wet weight of 350 ish.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_klx_650_1995.php

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_klx_650_1993.php

Funny I had an old mag test of 650cc dual sports by Dirt Bike magzine. Fully ready to ride with liquids the KLX was the heaviesty at nearly 360+ lbs. Yikes!

Mine would get 38 mpg stock but after being built, Webcams, ported, valve job, 2mm over piston, 12.0-1 compression, BigGun full exhaust and 41 FCR it netted 18 more HP and 54mpg.

• Like 1

Mine would get 38 mpg stock but after being built, Webcams, ported, valve job, 2mm over piston, 12.0-1 compression, BigGun full exhaust and 41 FCR it netted 18 more HP and 54mpg.

Did you change the gearing while building it up? Is the carb running really rich from the factory?

That is a pretty good jump in mpg for more power.

The stock carb was indeed rich. Went up one tooth on the front sprocket

Are we talking men's or women's KLX650? My R on the scales with a full tank and tool kit weighs 292 and consistently gets 50-55mpg, all use. Once, I clocked a little over 65mpg with no wind, 75-85mph on a rolling two lane asphalt and gravel road, 2.2gal, 144mi by GPS, 112min elapsed. The range is perfect for the seat. If you get a bigger tank, you better get a better seat. And you won't like the weight, especially up that high, but it beats having a battery and electric motor that don't do much more than insulate you from poor tune.

Does anyone know the lengths and compatibility of the various KLX, KX, and KLR models' suspension lengths? My R has 115mm links, as does the KLX250. KLX300's have 117mm links, I believe C's have 124's and KLR650's 127 - I think. I want to drop mine a little more than the 117's would accomplish, but not as much as the 124 and 127 length links would, and what I hope to find is that there's a compatible set around 119-120mm. The geometry on an R is a multiplier of about 3.75 and that would lower my seat height about 18mm, about what I can drop the forks through the trees to level things and keep the geometry just about OEM.

So, any ideas?

E.

Edited by ejunker
Ask a question

I just got 200 miles on a tank,and still had gas sloshing around in my tank when I refueled

so for sure at least 200 miles,Im sure I could have gone a little further,but I filled up anyway.My bike still has the stock exhaust.

just filled my 01 KLR today, mostly street driven getting 53mpg two tanks in a row. I use it to commute to work 7 miles each way.

My 03 just did 200 miles on a tank,and I filled it back up,and it still had a decent amount left in the tank,it dam sure was not empty,the PO claimed only 160 miles to a tank,but Ive been using 95 oct fuel,and I dont ride the piss out of it,I almost never go faster than 70,and thats even rare,Im a 60-65 mph kinda rider. But I do ride into Panama city,almost every day,and go hang out at a Motor cycle GURUs shop, Ive got a 1200 Bandit when I feel the need for speed,I did set all suspension settings,back to the middle of factory recommendations,and properly inflate the tires, new airfilter, oil change,and a new rear on-off tire.(I figure the factory knows more than me),so proper inflation may contribute slightly to fuel economy,I guess.I got the bike with stock jetting still intact,but the mix screw cap has been drilled out,and mix re set to Eagle Mikes recommendations.Its running really good,but I may do the KLX needle mod later,I think its a little to lean,I can feel heat on my left leg,that I never noticed on my last street legal XR.

I got 277 on a tank,that was ALL hiway miles,never going over 65mph,and I mean from tank to tank,it was all on the hiway,no stop and go what so ever.

I have noticed this much,It got better MPG all stock,when I did the pipe,KLX needle kit,22 cents mod,16 /43 gearing,it went down,so I guess more power equals less MPG,for sure.

Kawasaki claimed 337lb in its ads for the KLR and both versions of the KLX. Actual weight for the KLX650c is 359lb, road ready without gas. My weight with 5 gal of fuel in my Acerbis tank is 390lb.

Mileage varies from 50-55mpg, with some jetting changes. My range to reserve is around 200mi. Can't get all the gas out of that tank. A 102mm big bore made no appreciable difference.

As to the links, I added a 119.5mm link from a post 2010 KLX250s on my KLX650c with a resprung DRZ 400 shock. Not sure about the R model, but the link is 2mm thicker than the C model and required some modification.

Edited by itsatdm