Passenger peg eliminator bracket... necessary?

Last night I removed my passenger pegs, then noticed the place where the oft-mentioned eliminator bracket would go.

However, I don't have the bracket in-hand yet, and honestly do not know if I want to spend $30 on one. I may make one, later, but I began thinking...

I have a Yoshimura Ti exhaust, and that is surely much lighter than the stock setup. The can is secured to the frame, and the pipe itself is attached at the other end. I try to rock the section which was secured to the passenger pegs, and can detect no movement whatsoever.

Of course I'd take and install a bracket if it was free, if for no other reason than to make it look more clean. I just wanted to get an opinion as to whether or not a third support for a lighter-than-stock exhaust is really necessary in a place that doesn't see much/any wiggle or load.

Also, I'm still looking for an integrated tail light. The Edge is nearly perfect, but I want to eliminate signal stems as well, and the cost of the Edge + integrated board is very high. I've been searching around for this for quite some time, and am nearly ready to just get something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-LED-INTEGRATED-BRAKE-LIGHT-BAR-/250651157080?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5bf92258 even though I know for a fact they are not that great. I just hate signal stalks, and want to get the most minimalistic look I can.

The Ti does not attach to the same point the stocker did. If you look, the mount on it lines up with one of the old passenger peg attachment points. Many simply drill out the threads and bolt it on. Do not let it swing free. Also be sure you do not touch the shock spring with the pipe once installed. You may have to shim out the sub frame a few mm.

The Ti does not attach to the same point the stocker did. If you look, the mount on it lines up with one of the old passenger peg attachment points. Many simply drill out the threads and bolt it on. Do not let it swing free. Also be sure you do not touch the shock spring with the pipe once installed. You may have to shim out the sub frame a few mm.

I don't know about the stock one, but here is what I'm saying:

The Yoshimura attaches behind the passenger pegs as well as to the passenger peg mount. Are both really necessary if the behind-peg location is already good? I'm trying to figure out if the passenger peg bracket is all that important.

When I look at it, the threads that the right side peg (or bracket) would go into actually slides up and down anyway. Can't get a whole lot of stabilization there, can I?

To clarify, nothing is 'swinging free'. There are already two points of contact: where the pipe bolts to the engine, and where the can hangs from a beefy Yoshimura mount (behind pegs). I can move the whole motorcycle by grabbing the passenger peg point (unattached) and cannot see wobble in the pipe. This is why I'm wondering if a bracket is necessary. I mentioned the stock exhaust because I theorize its higher weight may have necessitated the OEM bracket (passenger peg).

A Yosh Ti midpipe does not attach at the same point as the stocker on a S/SM. You must not have a Ti. Rs2 probably.

No matter what sustem you have, the mounting point is needed.

BTW, a Ti is far from 'beefy', whole system is paper thin and weighs about 6 pounds, max.

Do a search n the forum you 'Yosh Install' You'll find some threads with pictures.

Sorry, I guess I didn't even know what the stuff the previous owner put on was actually called.

It's the RS2 can with what I thought was a titanium (this is where I got Ti from?) pipe.

The mount on the can is very beefy and connects directly to the bike.

The midpipe has a bolt hole that was secured to the passenger peg.

3 -> 2 points of contact when I remove the midpipe bolt from the passenger peg.

The weight of the stock pipe is what I was referring to.

I'll look into this some more; likely end up just buying a bracket.

Edited by AndrewZorn

I'd feel fine ruining the stock pegs if they weren't so valuable, and apparently, hard to come by.

I think I'll get the bracket if I decide to keep the passenger pegs off.

On that note... one of my passenger pegs will not fold UP. It gets stuck in the down position. Inserting an object to recess the ball bearing will get it moving again. I completely disassembled it and cleaned it... same thing! The ball bearing just gets too well stuck in the hole.

My latest idea is to just allow them both to loosely flop around by removing the spring/ball. This still allows the "hot chick on the back", standing on rear pegs if I ever decide to, all while NOT leaving bruises on the back of my legs from backing it up...

But any ideas with the sticky pegs first?