Coal Creek

It's a good place but trails are more towards 4x4 and atvs then bikes but I did hear there is a bunch of single track on the north end but Ive never rode it also brimstone in Huntsville tn about 45 min north is a great place to go

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of technical stuff...lots of fun! The trails marked Easy are the gravel roads and they are easy and go for miles and miles. I suggest you run trail #2 from the bottum all the way up then do #24 (short, bumpy and tight) or #22 ( wider but rougher near the top) to get an idea of what they call Moderate.

You can spend all day without running the same trail twice, but you might want to, though. Get a map from the store where you buy your permit. If you need GPS tracks, I have quite a few I could attach to an email. It's how I keep track of the trails I've done. They are not really necessary as the trails are well marked.

• 5 months later...

I'm planning a trip to somewhere in late Oct. for a two day ride. My buddy was kicking around the idea of the H/M trail system in WV but I was thinking more toward Windrock since it is closer to Western NC where we would be coming from and I've always wondered if there were any good technical real singletrack there?

I've ridden the Mountain bike trails at WR many times and if there is anything like that for twist throttles I would be stoked on coming up for a weekend? I'm not really into the atv double track stuff (which I know there is plenty of there) so I'm just curious if there is enough fun, rough, flowing and challenging single track to make it worth the three hour drive? Thanks in advance for any info.:smashpc:

Rough and challenging...yes

Flowing and single track...no

Is the Rough & challenging single track or is it mini-jeep trails as I like to call atv trails/roads?

I live close to Brown Mountain orv in NC and if you've ever ridden that place you know it's all about the roughness and rocks plus living in the NV high desert has made me really look foward to technical trials style of rock croppings ?.

I don't mean to sound critical in my quest for fun single track trails but I really do not like to ride atv/jeep trails all day. Some is ok, but as long as it is to connect me into the next motorcycle only trail. Thanks for your input on Windrock.:smashpc:

There are no motorcycle single track trails in Coal Creek OHV.

There are more than enough challenges, though. Get a map from the Shed at the Oliver Springs entrance, if you go, and start with the trails marked Moderate (T-2 is the easiest and it's fun to jump the water bars along the way). Go for the Difficult trails if you need greater challenges...Bring tools and splints :smashpc: (I only ride Moderate trails and gravel roads). I have no idea what the Difficult or Extreme trails are like. Don't forget to check out the wind mills while there...much bigger up close than you'd expect.

There are hundreds of miles of trails and G roads to explore. It's worth one trip to find out if it suits you.

I wish I knew of some single track trails, but the only ones I know of are the two in the Cherokee National Forest near Coker Creek, TN (trails 81 and 82) and they are a total of less than ten miles long.?

There is some single track there but they are very protected by the riders group that made them.If you like rocky nasty stuff then trail 16,14 are the stuff!! post again before you come we can meet up an i'm sure we can find some single track. :smashpc:

There is some single track there but they are very protected by the riders group that made them.If you like rocky nasty stuff then trail 16,14 are the stuff!! post again before you come we can meet up an i'm sure we can find some single track. ?

I sent you a pm.:smashpc:

Just got back from a weekend at Coal Creek. 1st time there. Spent 2 days riding and only saw 1 other bike. 90% side by sides, 9% 4x4 quads, 1% sport quads (the 5 guys in my group). TONS of trails, but VERY VERY rocky. We hit one trail that was impassable and we had to turn around. Our group has done Brimstone for the past couple years and we've really grown accustomed to the amenities there - secluded, very nice cabins with full kitchens. I felt like Coal Creek is a few steps below Brimstone. It also didn't seem very sport quad or bike friendly. At Brimstone, side by sides are quick to move to the side of the trail and let bikes and quads pass. Not at Coal Creek.

The location of the camp is a bit unfortunate. It's at the south end of the trails, so you end up hitting the same trails a bunch just coming and going, but the far west and far north trails remain untouched for the most part. I didn't like having to ride 2 miles @ 5-10 mph just to get to the trails.

Not sure if we'll be heading back. For the same price, we can get a full cabin with TV, full kitchen, and multiple bathrooms. And we won't have to worry about the park security guard yelling at us for riding or bikes @ 4 mph over the speed limit. ?