ktm 250 sxf or yz250f

i am thinking about buy a ktm or a yamaha for my next bike, i have ridden a 426 but blew up the motor. anyways, what do you guys think i should get between those two bikes, i ride mostly trail but might take it to the track some times. i want a bike that i can have alot of fun on, reliability is also a concern looking at a 2008 ktm or similar yamaha.

any ideas appreciated

I agree with Howard... Yamahas are reliable as they come and KTMs have a strong reliability record. If you ride “mostly trail” with some track usage I would suggest the KTM 250 xcf. It’s a top quality off road bike that is race competitive, and it also works well on the track.

CoKTM

my yamaha has great reliability. my buddies sxf250 will burn me on every turn, every straight, and every hill. i will still take my yami because it saves alot of money. i will be gettin a 450 sxf though i think its pretty reliable from what my friends tell me

ive had both! finally i can post something worth value haha. I must of had a default yamaha because i could not keep that thing from breaking some how. i race so i keep my bikes in top shape but i found myself working on the yamaha far more than the sxf. the yamaha had great bottom end but to keep it in the meat of the power you have to shift alot. the ktm was really fast as everybody states. like really fast. the top end is tremendous and i love having a bike that you dont have to shift one more time at the end of the straight. you could just keep it pinned. the ktm i kept in top shape too and besides changing the oil, cleaning the air filter, and getting the valves adjusted every now and then, the bike had no real problems. so out of those two bikes I would pick the sxf. and like someone else stated if your doing more trails the xcf might be the better bike for you.

oh shoot i thought you just raced...definitely get the yami. they are pretty even in the trails. sxf is better up hills but not by a whole lot. and the yami is waayyyyyy more reliable then most 250fs

look at his name. its obviously biased.

yamaha has much much better stock suspension, that would be the deal maker for me, you have to sink $$$$ into KTM suspension to make it work well

not with there new linkage. I had mb1 do mine and it squats alot better in turns and it stays planted through the rough. i also forgot to add it didnt cost all that much. and if your going to race your going to get the suspension done anyway. it was about 400 total for a revalve.

Edited by KennyC612
forgot to put price and example

I race and all I had to do to get my KX250F suspension to work for me was adjust the oil height and clickers......my old 07 KTM200 had about 1200 into the suspension to get it to work....and I still did not really like it

but yeah, the new linkage suspension might be alot better

yamaha has much much better stock suspension, that would be the deal maker for me, you have to sink $$$$ into KTM suspension to make it work well

The yamahas suspension may be better but their geometry is so far off it ruins the bike. The yamaha just doesn't turn, while the ktm tracks exactly where you want it to go.

But i've had both bikes, and currently have the sxf.

The yzf as every1 says is very reliable and is known to last the longest. (my one locked up so just fixed it and sold and went back to KTM as i've never had a problem with any off my bikes before)

The power as said is mostly bottom but for trails this could be better.

The KTM i've found to be very reliable and i've never experienced any major problems, They do tend to wear rings out faster than most brands (probably twice as fast as the yzf) but once you keep on top of that the two bikes are on parr reliability wise.

Once again the KTM does make more top end, but this does mean it lacks some bottom end compared to yamaha.

handling wise i preferred the ktm as with the yamaha i just hated the front end as there was no feeling to it, and felt so loose on the ground.

But as for your choice the bikes are so close i'd pick the one that is better value and has had the easiest life

my post: my yamaha has great reliability. my buddies sxf250 will burn me on every turn, every straight, and every hill. i will still take my yami because it saves alot of money. i will be gettin a 450 sxf though i think its pretty reliable from what my friends tell me

and this is what you say:

look at his name. its obviously biased.

so kenny i am obviously not biased as i like ktm just as much as yami and i would get a ktm if i ha more money in my wallet. so thats a false statement i am not in any way shape or form biased in this argument

oh shoot i thought you just raced...definitely get the yami. they are pretty even in the trails. sxf is better up hills but not by a whole lot. and the yami is waayyyyyy more reliable then most 250fs

thats what i actually quoted. and in my experiance with yamahas they arent that reliable. the ktm i had alot better of an experiance with.

thats what i actually quoted. and in my experiance with yamahas they arent that reliable. the ktm i had alot better of an experiance with.

yeah true but im just showing that im not biased. my yami is a rock. put oil in every 10 hours gas it up clean air filter and valve checks every once in a long while, top end in a long long while and your good

yeah true but im just showing that im not biased. my yami is a rock. put oil in every 10 hours gas it up clean air filter and valve checks every once in a long while, top end in a long long while and your good
oh sick. i get ya. but my ktm was much much much much more reliable than my yamaha. my 08 250f was a nightmaaaaare.

oh sick. i get ya. but my ktm was much much much much more reliable than my yamaha. my 08 250f was a nightmaaaaare.

lol yeah it probably was anything from 06 up kind of ruined the reputation yzf's had for reliability. i have an 02(yeah i know thats effin old) but i like it i get to :cheers: more work less

not true at all. my 200's is much better than a yz250f. the yz makes OK power but has ergo's made for someone 5'6. i prefer the KTM because im taller than average