best compromise?

It's dependability depends on the amount of maintenance you intend on putting into it. That being said, a properly maintained WR will last you a long time. I purchased mine new in 07', and wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe a fuel injected one if it ever happens! I've had no issues with mine and it gets ridden often. With all the free mods, and a couple not so free ones a WR450F can be a wheelie monster, but still controlable enough in tight trails. It's a little on the heavy side, but I feel a don't notice the extra weight while riding, unless I have to pick it up, or push it! :cheers: If you don't want too much power, keep it stock at first, and as your skills progress, start doing the mods.

It's dependability depends on the amount of maintenance you intend on putting into it. That being said, a properly maintained WR will last you a long time. I purchased mine new in 07', and wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe a fuel injected one if it ever happens! I've had no issues with mine and it gets ridden often. With all the free mods, and a couple not so free ones a WR450F can be a wheelie monster, but still controlable enough in tight trails. It's a little on the heavy side, but I feel a don't notice the extra weight while riding, unless I have to pick it up, or push it! :cheers: If you don't want too much power, keep it stock at first, and as your skills progress, start doing the mods.

yes i will maintain it like religion and what are some free mods? and what are some not free mods?

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a wr450. It will outlast you. I just put a piston and ring in mine last year after 5 years and at least 7-8000 miles. It still ran good, but I changed the piston anyways.

Valves have not moved in years. Its a great bike.

thats good to hear, and it has more power then a drz400e yes?

it also annoys me that the throttle is limited even though its an easy fix and that thing called grey wire

More power than a DRZ for sure but as you are in Australia I don't think it comes corked up like the US one does.

As far as reliability, anything is only as reliable as you maintain it and treat it. Bounce it off the rev limiter constantly and never check valves, clean the air filter or change the oil and you'll get 3 months out of it.

Lots of people the Honda reliability, but if you follow their recommended maint schedule like you're supposed to, it'll be very reliable as well. Cost more money, but as reliable as anything.

Why do so many dirtbike guys hate checking valves and most never do it or wait until their top end is trashed and bitch about it? I'll never understand that.

Mike

it also annoys me that the throttle is limited even though its an easy fix and that thing called grey wire

yes... lots more power. than a DRZ400. Some people like to make theirs even faster with high compression pistons and cams.

But, I kinda like the easy to ride nature of the wr as it is. I run mine stock with a perfectly jetted carb of course. Its easy to go slow on, and when I need to go faster, I can just twist the throttle.

If I wanted to turn it into a race bike though, I'd do the cams and piston.

that throttle stop and the grey wire are a 1hr fix, maybe a little more on an aluminum framed bike. Only people who don't have the WR seem to think its a problem.

Oh.. a bike this heavy (or plush) really needs the suspension dialed in a bit.

Lots more power than the DRZ... those little annoyances are what keep the bike meeting the same emissions that the DRZ has to, but are simple fixes