Sign in to follow this  

coming full circle with my project

I bought this basket case bike last year and was going to get it turned into the woods weapon I have been missing. I picked it up and the chassis was rolling, the engine was in a box filled with sand and EVERY possible part was dismantled. I bought it cheap and started trying to find what was missing. In the end, I was missing a single dowel and 4 clutch cover bolts! I cleaned the cases up and decided that the crank was still good......then I scored a crank and gasket set on ebby for a rediculously low price.....wammo! now instead of put it back togeter, it is a full resore. I replaced every possible moving part in the engine that can wear out, replate the who schnagetty. just as I am gaining steam on the project.....wammo! I tear a ligament in my shoulder. this put a damper on my plans in a huge way. I collected a rekluse and my weight springs from some TT brethren and it sort of sat in my shop.....for a year. I hung up the bike and licked my wounds for as long as I could, but I am getting back to where I can start to do some things....so I got with it. I am waiting on plastic and some drive parts, and still have a long road ahead, but I will have it ready for the day I get grace from Dr.........I hope he does anyhow. so I have a few pics of the process. I wish I could have taken some of the box of engine, tranny, and body parts covered in sand.....that was nice. I have made good use of my new bead blaster and every bit of work done here is by my own hands, minus a fe minutes of help from my buddy.

enjoy the show, it will be a while before it is completed as I have a couple months before I can ride.....but at least I can make a useful post!

coming home as a roller

003.jpg

getting stripped

007.jpg

truing up the old crank

009-1.jpg

finally getting the sand out of the dang cases

042.jpg

I added some nuts to mount up my custom skid plate down the road

IMAG0102.jpg

this was my favorite part. I called to get a price on powder coating the frame silver....$200.00. I stripped itwith aircraft stripper....wicked stuff. I have a couple gallons of top quality automotive urathane clear coat and primer so, I bought a can of high temp aluminum paint...rattle can, and sprayed it....it looked like metalflake aluminum, just what I wanted.....then I cleared over that, many times. the thing will blind you in the sun and is easy to touch up....I am stoked about it.

IMAG0107.jpg

while I was waiting for my paint to cure hard I finished my engine. just waiting on a couple bolts and it will be g2g. anyone notice the oopsie in this pic....lol

IMAG0104.jpg

I started the assembly process. the fender will be nixxed as soon as the brown truck shows with my white stuff.

IMAG0111.jpg

thanks for following, it is going to be along process as I am half lame and have to work left handed....but rest assured it will be fliging my arse around in due time. if you see me at baty,elsie or lpo stop by and say hi.

thanks,

Greg

Everything looks good so far. Pretty much doing the same because i ruined my motor riding couple weeks ago. I dont know what you did to get all the paint off on the frame but i have been using a wire wheel but it is taking way too long and want a faster way to do it. Also you cant get in very tight places with a wire wheel anyways. Keep up the good work :cheers:

Everything looks good so far. Pretty much doing the same because i ruined my motor riding couple weeks ago. I dont know what you did to get all the paint off on the frame but i have been using a wire wheel but it is taking way too long and want a faster way to do it. Also you cant get in very tight places with a wire wheel anyways. Keep up the good work :cheers:

Sandblasting is the best and easiest way, just make sure you're using the right medium for aluminum or steel. I've also heard good things about spray on painter stripper or oven cleaner. Spray that stuff on, let it sit, and pressure wash the paint right off. If it works, you can just go back over certain spots with some steel wool.

Looking forward to more pictures! :ride:

there is a stripper made by aircraft. I am sure you can't get it in california because it works so well. if you use it....have water close by for a nutralizer and DO NOT TOUCH IT! wear goggles too......mean stuff.

Looks good! Heads on backwards. Do I win anything?

Looks good! Heads on backwards. Do I win anything?

yes! send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I will send you a surprise.....you were the first to catch it.

well today was more cleaning and I found the core ripped out of the turbincore, so I bead blasted it and welded it back together. lots of detail cleaning today. my new plastic should be here next weds so I can get on with the show!

IMAG0115.jpg

Looking great....its a long road....but I think you will have a sweet bike in the end....

The fmf silencers do this...constantly. They have done so for years. I'm sure your fix is better than the original weld.

The frame and bike are beautiful. I love powdercoat! I'll bet it gets mistaken for an alloy frame.

can't wait to see it finished. then you just need to heal up so we can go ride.

Sandblasting is the best and easiest way, just make sure you're using the right medium for aluminum or steel. I've also heard good things about spray on painter stripper or oven cleaner. Spray that stuff on, let it sit, and pressure wash the paint right off. If it works, you can just go back over certain spots with some steel wool.

Looking forward to more pictures! :cheers:

anything i ever put gasket remover (autozone, advanced autoparts, etc etc.) on came off like magic

I used aircraft brand stripper.....bad stuff

babyissy004.jpg

I found some pics of when I brought it home....nothing like all in pieces...lol

P1000180.jpg

cleaned up all my stuff in my bead blaster.

239.jpg

one of my rad guards was had, so I had to weld it up....

234.jpg

237.jpg

I mounted up the rads and guards, got all my wiring tied up....etc.

243.jpg

242.jpg

when I grabbed my throttle tube it was full of sand, so I tore it down and cleaned it up, and for S&G I graphited the bearing surface with slip plate. the bag was to keep from making too big of a mess..lol.

240.jpg

next will be a tank dye job and the plastic.

I peeled into th carb and I have 170 main, 48 pilot and 90 on the power.....stock pipe, any guess for 70 above at 3500ft? thinking it might be a bit fat in the middle......just guessing.

The fmf silencers do this...constantly. They have done so for years. I'm sure your fix is better than the original weld.

The frame and bike are beautiful. I love powdercoat! I'll bet it gets mistaken for an alloy frame.

I may add a couple wedge shaped supports if it does it again. the powder coat is actually bomb can aluminum paint with high end urathane clear over it. nearly as tough, but WAY glossy.

I had to blow the pipe out.....it was hammered. dang good thing too. it was full of Goo. I will post some better pics of my apparatus later.IMAG0121-1.jpg

I had a steel frame done years ago liek that. My local powdercoat place was doing a high dollar show dune buggy at the same time. The color was aluminum, but when the sun hit it it had almost ever color under the clear. WAY too pretty to use.

Plus, you could hit it with a hammer without damage. Amazing finish.

I may add a couple wedge shaped supports if it does it again. the powder coat is actually bomb can aluminum paint with high end urathane clear over it. nearly as tough, but WAY glossy.

the first truck came today.....kudos to rocky mountain. still waiting on oemcycle.com.....its still early though.

bike035.jpg

I had to run out of town for a bit and saw this too.....

IMAG0127.jpgIMAG0129.jpgIMAG0130.jpgIMAG0131.jpg