Sign in to follow this  

Fresh KX144 Not Starting

I bought a KX125 with a spun crank bearing and sent the engine off to Eric Gorr for a 144 kit and new bottom end. The bike had been sitting for two years before being rebuilt. Tonight after putting it all together all I could get was about 5 seconds of sputtering before it would die every five or so kicks. It would only start if I was giving it throttle. I hope this is a carburetor issue. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna rip the carb apart to see what I find. Before I started it I drained the carb but I imagine its still all gummed up in there. You have any ideas what jet or float could be causing this? I'm not a carburetor expert so a little guidance would be nice. Oh, and this is the girlfriend's bike and she is very excited to ride it this weekend. I don't think she is gonna miss the KX100 too much. Thanks!

Did you put a new plug in it?

Maybe pull the plug and see how it looks and check for spark.

And yeah, definetly pull the carb apart and give it a cood clean it's bound to need it after sitting that long.

If theres any old gas in the tank drain it out for some fresh stuff as well.

No way I would run a fresh rebuild on a carb that has been sitting (possibly with gas in it) for that long. Take the carb apart and clean and scrub inside every jet. Dont risk a lean condition from a dirty carb blowing up your fresh top end.

Clean carb, and a fresh plug and I bet she will fire right up.

Thanks for the replies. Got the situation handled. I had no clue the carb would be that bad. Engine fired right up. Gonna be a sweet ride.