Theft prevention???

Are any of you riders out there worried about your bike being stolen? What are you doing to protect your bike? Not an sm owner yet, still lookin. Hopfully things will pan out for me tomorrow.

Thanks alot..

everybody who has one is concerned about theft.make sure your bike is insured for theft.that's the big thing imho.when you lock-up your bike make it as hard as possible to defeat the locks or to cut them off.lock the bike to an imovable object that is well anchored to the ground.try to secure the bike in an enclosed area at home either in a garage,enclosed trailer or basement.but good insurance is the big thing.

Sadly there is nothing you can do to keep a cycle completely safe, unless you hire Ted Nugent to camp out in front of it all day. I know guys who have had contractor work done, and the guys saw their rides in the garage and came back and stole them. In one instant I knew a guy who's son's atv was stolen out of his garage in his property in Jarrettsville (farmland) and wound up abandoned in the street in Baltimore city 2 weeks later...

Best you can do is be careful about who knows what you got and make it clear you watch your stuff. I have to keep mine parked outside my house in a barely OK neighborhood. I used a wire cable lock and carry it in my book bag, so I can lock it to a hydrant or whatever I can find at work or whatnot. These things weigh 300lbs so 2 grown dudes can lift it into a van in 20 seconds. Any cable or chain can be cut but the quality will tell how hard it will be to accomplish this. I'm thinking of investing in one of those caliper locks that start screaming if moved without being disarmed first.

Nothing is 100% safe in life that's why there's insurance.

I got one of these for garage/parking at work. Makes a hell of a lot of noise and should grab attention if anyone is messing with bike or trying to pick the bike up. Lucky enough to have motorcycle parking w/ security camera at work though. Also use a kryptonite chain/u-lock in garage with anchor... maybe I'm a little paranoid :cheers:

http://www.amazon.com/Xena-Intelligent-Security-ALARM-XZZ-6Y/dp/B0031791IQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1301857480&sr=8-10

I have no delusions that someone still can't steal it but at least it makes it more difficult.

some don't get it.the drz weighs almost nothing.if the bike's frame is a not solidly anchored to an imovable object,it will get stolen.it's nothing for a young teenybopper to huff either end of the bike onto a simple skateboard and sleuth off silently into a waiting van or down the block at night without ever being seen or heard.don't ask me how i know.

My bike was almost stolen a few months ago. Left it over the weekend locked to a bike rack in my parking garage. Went to unlock it ride to class on Monday and noticed that the chain and lock were hacked about half way through. Thank god for the trimax chain and lock. http://www.bicyclingworld.com/templates/product.aspx?rqProductID=17469

Now i keep it locked with the same chain via swing arm, another hex chain through the frame and a u lock through the front wheel. All locked to different bike racks. I do have insurance but they are really going to have to work to get it now.

tear it down and lock it in a gun safe :cheers:

That is not too far off... There are bike safes available that are made in a similar fashion to a shipping container. They're a bit of a pain though.

I live away from home for most of the year and spend most of my days away from there living out of motel rooms - motels really suck for thievery.

I use a shipping container next to the shed that I am based out of for a couple of other bikes. It is actually easier to attack the container than it is to attack the locks and the container is not particularly easy. There are cameras attached to a silent security system which will send a message to my brother and I if something is going on. From there either of us can log in remotely to see what is going on and if necessary, call the cops who are hot on break-ins in that town.

The bikes are also anchored.

My daily ride (not the DRZ) has an on-board computer that serves a bunch of purposes; amongst them is security. It has a silent alarm that notifies me via SMS every 10s (or via FM if I am within 500m) if something is up - I often ignore messages, but not when the phone is going off.

Also... Last year I picked up a Jack pup from the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere - he looked like someone had thrown an unwanted pup out of a car window. The little snot (all 4.5kg of him - I don't usually do little dogs) now goes everywhere with me and as it turns out, he is a no holds savage little bugger that lays low and issues no warning other than a low growl when people mess with the bike. The ensuing mayhem is enough to get everyone out when staying at a motel. You'd think he'd be easy to deal with, but I am out quickly and thieves don't like bleeding in front of witnesses... He has already saved me the hassle of dealing with them and the damage that they do twice.

Cheers

Nice job at locking it! My bike is in my garage and I am also worried about it being stolen. I use a chain through the front wheel and the frame so it can not move except with the front end lifted. 2 guys would lift easily but there is not alot of room to play with the bike since there is alot of stuff in my garage! Also, I don know for you guys but here insurance may not pay you back if your bike was not locked and has no switch like my XR4

I have an el cheapo $20 alarm I bought off ebay on mine that's great.if you lightly flick the bike it goes off and its 125db of ear peircing sound.works great five minute install and no false alarms yet.i use the alarm with the combo of bar lock and a rotor lock