How big is your throttle deadzone?

I am a novice, only second year racing, but I think my problems have been coming from a throttle deadzone that isn't there...

Basically twice now I have had nasty nasty crashes because I have gotten tired and I can't stay off the gas of my cr125, and it just always feels like bike is taking me for a ride.

I'm just curious, do you experienced riders have a generous throttle deadzone, so that they know they won't accelerate?

It was a practice day today and while I was waiting for the guy to give me the go ahead, I noticed that my throttle was not sensitive, but no free movement? Is that normal?

With 125's you gotta be on the pipe all the time and yes the bike does wanna get away from you.

I've had to adapt quite a bit from my low-powered KX125 to the super over-powered 125SX.

Its funny you mention this, I was discussing this with my dad today and we talked about how my 125SX at 85% throttle is tame and only delivers 50% of the power. From 85% throttle to 100% throttle the thing takes off like a scalded cat being chased after by a dog and falling down stairs!!! The rush of speed is almost overwhelming and has caught me off guard as well.

SO...

The solution is; ya gotta pinch the ever living snot out of the bike and stay as far forward as you can, as much as you can. This way, when the thing gets unruly, you're not hanging off the tail, but locked onto the bike so it won't kick you off. I had some very hard knocks this weekend on my SX where it just wanted to go do its own thing and thats because I got tired and couldn't pinch anymore. Once you let your guard down, its all game for that little thing to buzz away without you on its back! :cheers:

That analogy couldn't be more spot on... I mean my cr125 isn't the fastest 125, bone stock, but god damn sometimes the powerband just scares the shit out of me on the face of jumps. LOVE it on corners though, fun to rip berms, but when I get to the face of a jump I feel like I am literally going to take off and not come down.

Riding a 2T is no joke if you don't know what you are doing...

stay lower and more forward on the bike. While accelerating if you feel like the bike is being pulled out of your hands, you might be to upright. If you are further forward and low, when you accelerate the bike will push you and most of the stress will be in your legs and into your pegs. This helped me a lot with arm pump and my arms fatiguing. For me my bars are mostly for steering and keeping me off my bar pad, and not as much for helping me hold on and stay connected to the bike.

squeeze with your knees really hard. sometimes when i get tired i try to point my toes in toward the bike which makes it easier to squeeze. it all about controlling the bike with your legs, back and core muscles. your hands should be somewhat relaxed with a finger or two on each lever. as for your throttle freeplay, i run 4mm

g2 ergo throttle may help with modulating the throttle abit

I don't have a dead zone at all i like cables tight with just about no play in them at all.

if u don't get lazy and don't lean backwards whilst griping the throttle u shouldn't have this problem

A guy in Australia has invented some nifty little rubber pegs that bolt to the side of your bike. I lov'em cause I am only a weekend warrior and somewhat of a lazy rider, helped fix my wiskey throttle issues and gave me more confidence. Website is http://www.stegpegz.com.au/

A guy in Australia has invented some nifty little rubber pegs that bolt to the side of your bike. I lov'em cause I am only a weekend warrior and somewhat of a lazy rider, helped fix my wiskey throttle issues and gave me more confidence. Website is http://www.stegpegz.com.au/

interesting.. another thing on my list of stuff to buy

I am a novice, only second year racing, but I think my problems have been coming from a throttle deadzone that isn't there...

Basically twice now I have had nasty nasty crashes because I have gotten tired and I can't stay off the gas of my cr125, and it just always feels like bike is taking me for a ride.

I'm just curious, do you experienced riders have a generous throttle deadzone, so that they know they won't accelerate?

It was a practice day today and while I was waiting for the guy to give me the go ahead, I noticed that my throttle was not sensitive, but no free movement? Is that normal?

when you say throttle deadzone do you mean play in the throttle? if so, you want virtually no play in the throttle. If you have much play in the throttle now the bike won't go wide open. I think your biggest help is gonna be gripping the bike hard with your legs and keeping your weight forward so the bike is "pushing" you more so and you're in control, rather than just yanking you along for the ride.

The key to what you are saying is that you have problems when you get tired. When you get tired you are getting sloppy and losing concentration. No amount of throttle adjustment will make up for poor body conditioning. You need to ride more and get into better shape. All the advice in the world is no good if you dont have the energy to pull it off.

So basically you're saying "get your fat ass to the gym" :thumbsup:

Its not about gym...it's riding technique!

If you can't ride on your technical limit and don't get arm pump then you can go to the gym.

Arm pump has nothing to do with not strong enough muscles it's just your brain and mostly riding style.

So like all the guys said ride the bike with your legs and get loose in your hands.

And don't put a finger on the braking lever to control the throttle!

It let you get arm pump fast. Otherwise the clutch...altimes have a finger on clutch so your able to cut the power from the rear wheel if you are in trouble!

it wont happen on a four stroke and you wont get tired as easy

it wont happen on a four stroke and you wont get tired as easy

That is just another reason why 2 strokes make people better riders..