Don't you just hate "that guy"....

I always keep my bikes clean, properly tuned and store them properly over winter...but I always have issues getting everything sorted out in spring. Lots of time and swearing getting everything to run right again.

My friend though...never cleans his stuff, never tunes it, does not even clean air filters, Puts bikes away for winter covered in nastyness and mud, with old gas in them.

Spring rolls around and believe it or not, every year it takes one kick each and all 3 of his bikes are running (even on 5 month old fuel), and ready to go another year with no maintinance.

hahahahahahahahhah my friend had a CHINESE bike and he does the bad things you mentioned your friend does and yes it starts although we dont really have winter here he never changes his oil or cleans air filter........go figure

this should be an interesting thread......

If it's an old bike, I can see why it's able to live through such abuse. Damn things just don't wanna die.

I can't see the point of what annoys you about that, you know that your bike is better maintained and will last longer!!

My buddies are like that with their quads. Just beat, dirt, neglected, and the keep on going. Then I look at my bike that I baby and it breaks down. Hmmmm...maybe neglect is what they need? lol

I know "that" guy! I had two friends store there bikes in my garage, one quy was anal about the way his bike was maintained and the bike was put away spotless, ready to ride for the new season. The other guy put his away, wet, dirty, bad gas, old oil, exactly like your friend. They both had the same bikes and bought them at the same time(08 YZ250f). Come spring they sold their bikes within 2 weeks of eachother. The maintained bike blew up a week later with the new owner and I see the guy who bought the unmaintained bike at the track, bike is still dirty, runs great, no problems! Just kinda funny how that works though...

i once made a thread called too much maintenanc.............and use all said i was crazy.....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I hate "that guy" aswell.

Lets smoke that fool !

i can probebly do this with my 96 cr250. but, i instead choose to suport the parts industry.

I do just the right amount of maintenance. I don't winterize bikes.......I pull them out in the snow! haha But I wash, change the oil, clean and lube chain and air filter. That is about it....I think....

i have a friend that neglects his quad and he never changes oil, never cleans his air filter and when his chain started to slip on his rear sprocket, he bought a new sprocket and kept going, that quad wont die and its not even something like a 400ex, its a polaris pred 500 and its an 03 with LOTS of hours on the original motor. I spend hours on my bike doing preventative maintence and still its always my bike that has the problem when his keeps limping along.

i have a friend that neglects his quad and he never changes oil, never cleans his air filter and when his chain started to slip on his rear sprocket, he bought a new sprocket and kept going, that quad wont die and its not even something like a 400ex, its a polaris pred 500 and its an 03 with LOTS of hours on the original motor. I spend hours on my bike doing preventative maintence and still its always my bike that has the problem when his keeps limping along.

But, most likely your bike is a high performance race bike and the 500 quad is not. I have ridden the 500 and it's a great quad, but it's not race bike.

You could easily substitute "motorcycle" for "women" and this thread would be exactly the same...

It's very very easy to kill your bike if you go to town with the pressurewasher on it every chance you get. Only chance for dirt to get into your bearings is if you wash the covering muck away and shoot it in with pressure.

Same with dirty airfilters, it's only going to run fatter, which will do nothing than make it maybe not run so great and maybe a bit cooler. But if you wash your filter all the time, your jettings gonna be off and you won't catch those tiny particles, which makes it run hotter and suck down not so great stuff.

Oilchanges...well I wouldnt wanna skip those! That's just crazy.

But saying that, modern oils are very effective, only way to destroy them is with heat, and if your engine is sound and runs on a stable temp, the oil should last long. Oilchanges maybe are more about flushing tiny bits of engine out more than putting new oil in.

Then also "that guy" maybe is the one who does his oilchanges in the quiet, always warm up his bike proper before nailing it, and shortshifting up instead of revving the bones out it.

A clean bike is nice to look at, but it says nothing about how it has been maintained or used or the mechanical condition of it. It is just clean.

My dads kind of one of "those guys"

He believes in oil changes, air filters, chains, stuff like that.

But rebuilds, no way!

I had to nagnagnagnagnag to get him to replace his exhaust packing. He bought some, and I put it in!

That's how a lot of old guy's are though - "If it aint broke don't fix it" type stuff.

My best mate is exactly the same, he even used second hand piston and ring and has never cleaned his air filter in the last 12 months and yet his bike runs great. It does make me wonder if all the money I spend on all the cleaners and maintenance stuff is really worth it !!

i believe in air filter and oil changes and lubing things that are constantly moving but rebuilds.........come on.......i have read on here some of use do it every season u guys r wasting money plain and simple

i believe in air filter and oil changes and lubing things that are constantly moving but rebuilds.........come on.......i have read on here some of use do it every season u guys r wasting money plain and simple

I rebuild at least once a year (depending on hours). I can't afford to buy another cylinder.

I rebuild at least once a year (depending on hours). I can't afford to buy another cylinder.

This.