Sign in to follow this  

Sweet Iphone app for trail riding!

Hey fellow TT's

I downloaded this sweet little app for my Iphone that works really well for trail riding. It’s called "Trails". It’s not just for trail bike riding specifically but who cares about hiking? It uses current GPS locations to pinpoint your exact journey. One of the cool things about it is that you can send your journey to email and then upload it Google earth, an you can see exactly where you rode. It records average speed & elevation as well but I don’t think that part is very accurate. You can also download other trails that other people have taken but I haven’t done that yet. It does chew the crap out of your battery but if you make a pit stop or camp somewhere over night you can pause it and start again later. I think it’s about $5 to download as well.

Im not a rep for the product or anything. I just thought it was really cool. :cheers:

Wouldn't you need cell service for this to work? If so, that would do me absolutely no good. Maybe other people ride where there is service, but most places around here have none. I bet Australia is just like a decade ahead of the U.S. with cell coverage. Cool app for other uses though.

Wouldn't you need cell service for this to work? If so, that would do me absolutely no good. Maybe other people ride where there is service, but most places around here have none. Cool app for other uses though.

I wonderd that aswell or at least some sort of WiFi but no I dont think you do because it works off GPS. I was in the middle of nowere with no phone reception and used it and it worked. But if I am wrong someone pipe up.

Should try sporttracker for Droid. Its awesome for all kinds of activities. I don't know if its available for iphone.

I don't like the idea of riding around with my iPhone, especially not in a place where it would get good reception. If it goes with me, it gets tucked away deep in my pack. I do use my Garmin GPS and it does everything that app dos but a lot more accurately. The GP in the iPhone (and most other phones) is an AGPS (Assisted), so it gets it's accuracy form cell phone towers, wifi hot spots, AND the GPS satellites. It won't be nearly as accurate as a real GPS with only the GPS.

It's cool to see these apps popping up though.