transmission no oil, lock up

hey my name is matt im new here but out riding today cruising in top of 5th i felt like my bike was cutting out i kept riding and then my rear tire didnt lock but was dragging heavily like my bike was in first gear and my engine shut off i coasted for awhile and then i let out the clutch and rode 300 feet shut the bike off and noticed that my o ring chain wore thru my case and lost all my transmission oil, but after i coasted the bike ran fine shifted well and everything. i drained the transmission oil completely when i got home and nothing came out but 2 drops and no metal. should i repair my case and say a prayer or should i split the case and see if anything is bad thanks -matt

Youve cooked at least one of the transmission shafts and a couple of the gears. Thats why it seized up.

You need a new set of cases, or at least the one with the hole in it. More than likely the only safe route to fix the trans would be to replace it.

Expensive mistake.

thats what im afraid of :cheers: but its not sized up now it just dragged for a second the bike shifts fine and goes thew all the gears.

If it were me, Id have the cases apart by now...at a minimum. Even to have the case you have welded properly, you'd still have to split them.

yeah i think sometime this week all tear it apart, just gotta buy a case splitter

Dont need a case splitter with a fourstroke. Everything stays in the right side of the engine. You need a flywheel puller and a decent way to hold the clutch hub is all.

alright sweet thanks man my buddys got a flywheel puller

If you don't have a flywheel puller and your buddy does, make sure that it is specifically for the crf 450. If it isn't and you use it, you will be buying a new crankshaft.

haha

"hi I was roaching out my bike. Figured I would ride it like I stole it and like them TV commercials with no oil"

Yeah, that will be a big bucks repair. You need a few tools for the bike. the flywheel puller, the counterbalancer socket tool and a good repair/service manual.

For future reference, when the bike starts to feel like it is cutting out, pull in the clutch and kill the motor immediately.

Split the case and inspect and measure everything. That way you can tell what needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't just replace gears or shafts just because.

As others have said, only use the correct CRF450R flywheel puller. You will also need the balancer shaft socket and a factory manual.

:thumbsup:When your done, if you INSIST on using an o-ring chain .. then buy a DID VT series chain ... I believe this is the ONLY o-ring chain on the market that does not require a countershaft spacer behind the front sprocket.

Either that, or buy the spacer ... its a MUST for o-ring chains otherwise they will rub through your case.

Sorry to hear about the news either way ...

sad news man, your about to learn how costly it is to do work on a four stroke motocross bike. my advise is open it all up. make sure you replace everything damaged. you dont want to rush this and miss somthing damaged that can just redamage it all over. i like to us a cheep ol non o ring chain for my crf. sure i well go threw more chains, but i wont go threw as much money on chains as i would on rebuilding a damage engine lol

if you put oil in the bike and it shifts fine and runs fine then ride it and drain the oil and see what comes out it is possible that it is ok. i had a yamaha 2 stroke the crank seal was bad and it sucked the oil out of the tranny the bearing was making noise well i put a new seal in it put oil in it and never had any problems

sad news man, your about to learn how costly it is to do work on a four stroke motocross bike. my advise is open it all up. make sure you replace everything damaged. you dont want to rush this and miss somthing damaged that can just redamage it all over. i like to us a cheep ol non o ring chain for my crf. sure i well go threw more chains, but i wont go threw as much money on chains as i would on rebuilding a damage engine lol

you will go through more $ in cheap chains easily. befor i bought an oring chain with the spacer i had to adjust my chain every ride. now i havnt touched it in 30+ hours. i have an hour meter to. plus streatched out chains kill your sprockets

not for me, i only ahave to adjust my chain ever now and then. proper chain and sprocket maintenence well keep them in good working order. id rather adjust my chain ever half a dousin rides and replace my sprockets every season then to wear threw my case. but thats just me. everyone has thier preferences.

not for me, i only ahave to adjust my chain ever now and then. proper chain and sprocket maintenence well keep them in good working order. id rather adjust my chain ever half a dousin rides and replace my sprockets every season then to wear threw my case. but thats just me. everyone has thier preferences.

you can have the best of both worlds with the DID VT2.

DiD vt2 hey, got me interested, imma try it out see how it goes.

why would the shafts be hurt? I would expect to see all the tranny bearings destroyed, maybe a gear or three too

im just going to add oil and repair the case whats the worse that will happen and yes i have a fly wheel puller available thats how i put my lighting flywheel on. and btw the bike cut out and then stoped in a matter of 5 seconds. its didnt really lock up tho it felt like i shifted into 1st when i was in 5th gear with the clutch in lol but i was 5th tapped. i have a feeling that im going a few barrings and some gears tho thanks for the advice guys

bummer about the case wearing through, i find it humorous that some will go way out of thier way to get 1 specific chain that won't rub when you can simply flip the countershaft sprocket. I have 2 bikes, and the latest i just picked up i got a smokin deal on a Regina o-ring chain (not my preference but looks like a nice chain and i dig the "bling" of the gold color outer plates on all of my chains). Rather than add a 2nd spring washer to the back of the css and a small washer inside of the css on the end of the countershaft like i did on my 04crf450, i simply flipped the css. The slight offset gives plenty of clearance, allowing you to use any chain you want.