Sign in to follow this  

2010 TE510, Bike Setup for Baja

The oil filter does not fit in the Zip Ty Racing oil cooler adapter. Anybody with suggestions here, I'm all ears. I'll call those guys in the upper desert tomorrow and see what they suggest. I hope it isn't, "don't run a filter":

Aj510TEsetupB-2.jpg

The oil output to the oil cooler doesn't appear to be drilled all the way through. That's a heck of a restriction, if that's the design:

Aj510TEsetupB-1.jpg

The left Fluidyne radiator does not clear the exhaust pipe on the 2008-2010 TE models (left side exhaust). It would probably be ok on a 2007 or older. Hopefully there's a different radiator, or I'll have to cut and weld:

Aj510TEsetupC-2.jpg

Radiators were set up for a right side oil cooler, with no provision for the fan:

Aj510TEsetupC-3.jpg

This oil cooler has hose nipples. Any suggestions on alternate coolers with threaded input/output, or can you identify this cooler from a "street bike application".

Aj510TEsetupD-1.jpg

Headlight and Safari tank fitted:

Aj510TEsetupD-2.jpg

With the Safari tank on, and the handlebar turned right, not much room left for a radiator cap!

Aj510TEsetupE-3.jpg

Safari tank follows the contour of the radiators well. Left Fluidyne radiator also doesn't clear the TE wiring clamp. I suppose a TXC or TC wouldn't have this tiny issue.

Aj510TEsetupF-1.jpg

Scott damper setup is a thing of beauty !!!

Aj510TEsetupF-2.jpg

Beautiful work by the Safari folks on this lower fuel tank mount. I think I will reinforce the aluminum bit some, since it was designed to bend in a fall. But, it's like a noodle. Plus, the original bends didn't clear the Fluidyne radiators on either side, so I re-bent them.

Aj510TEsetupF-3.jpg

This is the water pump on the 2010, that is supposed to be the latest and greatest from Husky. It seems counter to my layman's knowledge of pumps that the vanes are straight. I'm told Motorsportz has an improved model:

Aj510TEsetupG-3.jpg

I put the oil cooler on the left, as a trial fit to see if it would clear the Safari fuel tank:

Aj510TEsetupH-1.jpg

Aj510TEsetupH-2.jpg

And then I put the radiator fan on the right. It all fits, but not much room to spare. I'm a bit worried as to how much air that big fuel tank will prevent from flowing through the radiators / oil cooler. I've got to do a bit of welding on the radiators tomorrow to finish up this part.

Aj510TEsetupH-3.jpg

I should wait to see what other, more qualified, folks have to say about this, but there are a couple shortcomings that I wouldn't expect from those high-end aftermarket parts... I guess it is a good thing you got that shiny welder in your garage!

The motosportz impeller is supposed to be pretty good. I'll be pushing my cooling system pretty hard this summer and will probably end up using that impeller.

Have you done any test runs to see if the stator will power that big HID light? Or did you send the stator out for a rewind?

Is the Scotts Stainless oil filter smaller in diameter? Maybe that is what they were designing the oil cooler assembly around...

And finally... How many riders on your team?

The motosportz impeller is supposed to be pretty good. I'll be pushing my cooling system pretty hard this summer and will probably end up using that impeller.

I'd like to see a real (simple) test of both units. Put a garden hose to feed the radiator, and put the output from the water pump(s) in a bucket. Run the engine at fixed RPM and time, and see what the actual volume of fluid being moved is. Perhaps a hose on the water pump output with a pressure gauge and a valve to restrict water to be adjusted to 1.6 bar (20-23 psi).

Perhaps a better test is to put the pump in a drill, and measure amps pulled to see if one pump pulls significantly more power than the other.

Have you done any test runs to see if the stator will power that big HID light? Or did you send the stator out for a rewind?

Not yet. Just put a ammeter on it to measure start up and steady current. No stator rewind is planned. Also not planning on running the "instrument panel", the horn or turn signals. Just the LED rear tail light and headlight.

Is the Scotts Stainless oil filter smaller in diameter? Maybe that is what they were designing the oil cooler assembly around

Won't know until I call.

And finally... How many riders on your team?

Four.

Sounds like you have a decent plan. Keep the pictures coming. It is great to watch the progress of the bike.

You've got alot of sweat equity in your bikes.

Go read the original thread when we first got the bike. You'd think I was a lazy bum who never lifted a wrench and just thrashed precious little Husky's all day (since any failure the bike had when new was clearly not Husky's fault). Oh well.

Planning on spend most of the day on the bike today. Had quite a few issues to work out:

1. Called GP Motorsports in San Diego, and they lost our (paid for) order of the engine counter balance shaft (used in the SMR). He promised to reorder muy pronto.

2. Had a great chat with ZipTy Racing about mods. Talked about the crankshaft, bearings (I guess they used the YZ450 bearings for the connecting rod), gear box mods, moving the radiators forward, etc.

3. The ZipTy oil cooler adapter is actually a two piece unit pressed together. That actually answered a few questions, so I'll clean up that hole that feeds the oil cooler. There is a special oil filter for this mod that they are sending me. I'm thinking that the unit could be chucked up in the lathe and made to fit the stock filter. I'll wait to see the new filter.

4. The left Fluidyne radiator apparently is made for a TC. The TXC/TE have a different exhaust routing, that is interfering. Since I now plan to move the radiators forward a bit, to give some room for air to move between the radiator and the big air dam known as the Safari tank. The ZipTy boys just got a Safari tank, so they didn't have any experience with it yet. Anyway, I'll have to cut and weld a new nipple at the bottom of the radiator.

5. I plan to drill holes in the top of the radiators and weld nipples to bleed out all the air from the coolant system. It's tough to have a functioning pressure liquid coolant system with air.

6. Plan on welding threaded nipples on the oil cooler so that I can run AN hoses and fittings. I have to weld the right radiator to mount the cooler, and the left to mount the fan. ZipTy was saying they had oil temps up into the 330 degree area. Ouch.

7. Thinking about an Uptite skid plate that is modified to come up to the bottom of the Safari tank, to protect it in a spill. Also, thinking about something to absorb those big cactus needles from puncturing the leading edges of the fuel tank.

8. Ordered two high volume water pumps (for both bikes) from Motorsportz. I did not know that Husky has a high volume pump. Has anybody tried it?

I'll be happy to get this done before next week's ride. Lots more mods to do, though.

Go read the original thread when we first got the bike. You'd think I was a lazy bum who never lifted a wrench and just thrashed precious little Husky's all day (since any failure the bike had when new was clearly not Husky's fault). Oh well..

Oh I've read that thread and Dan's thread about Living with a TE510, and my experience with the 08-10 Huskys is closest to you 2 guys experience. My 450 is fun as hell to ride, but I've worked on it more hours than I've ridden it....

Got the Motorsportz water pump upgrade in the mail (I got 2, one for each Husky). I see that the impeller is actually cast with the Husky "H" and crown symbol, so I assume that this is in fact the SMR water pump.

Got the Motorsportz water pump upgrade in the mail (I got 2, one for each Husky). I see that the impeller is actually cast with the Husky "H" and crown symbol, so I assume that this is in fact the SMR water pump.

Isn't that simply the High Flow Impeller and cover from the "special parts" catalog:for the 2008-2010 TC/TXC/TE/SMR/SMRR

COD. 8000H2449

I have one- it is reportably an improvement- It looks like an improvement- I didn't have enough problems to notice- just figured for the cost it was an easy and smart upgrade.

Good luck in Baja- you have many nice upgrades your have for husky:thumbsup:

DRZ-

I like your logic! What coolant are you running? I am planning on riding is some pretty warm (90-110*) temps this summer and I am considering engine ice (or something like it) and an upgraded impeller. Easy to upgrade and might as well do it when I put some cv4 coolant tubes on.

Tony-

Is that filter "better" in any way? I would assume that a paper filter is a paper filter...

DRZ-

I like your logic! What coolant are you running? I am planning on riding is some pretty warm (90-110*) temps this summer and I am considering engine ice (or something like it) and an upgraded impeller. Easy to upgrade and might as well do it when I put some cv4 coolant tubes on.

I have been using Silicate free Prestone mixed 50/50 with Maxima Cool-AIDE. I have been using that mix for about 4 years in a couple bikes, but was also considering trying engine ice next time around.

The oil "filter" that they sent is really a screen, which is exactly what the YZF's have used since 1998. Is it better? Well, it's smaller than the Husky oil filter, which is paper. I predict that it will filter out much smaller particulates. I think I'll be fine with either, however, I think I'd prefer the original Husky filter.

I'll probably run some of this stuff for coolant. I don't need freeze protection, so I may try the Cool-Aide.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

I installed the bigger water pump today, and true to form... it's loose on it's drive shaft. But, so was the original. It looks like they put some kind of goop when the bike was built, so I spent a bit of time thinking how I might get a .0005 shim in there, but ultimately, I just used some Loctite for press in bearings.

I cut off the mounts tonight for the oil cooler, and spent some time trying to figure out how far forward I want to go with the radiators. I can go about 1/2" on the bottom, but quite a bit more on top. Can anybody foresee why this would be a bad plan?

20a0227c.jpg

Good info on the coolant. I was figuring engine ice because I need the freeze protection. I'm getting lazy in my old age and don't want to screw around with mixing stuff. :cheers:

That bike is looking good Tony. I would be concerned with how close the fender is at the bottom, but otherwise it looks nice. Have you started welding yet?

No welding yet. The Miller has a problem. So, Monday morning, it's off to the welding shop for repairs. I've gotta get some more Argon and CO2 anyway.

I did all the fixes (that I know of) to the fuel pump. I put stainless safety wire around it, put safety wire on all the hoses, and had to solder the ground wire to the capacitor. Almost every wire strand had broken. Very classy assembly, which doesn't surprise me anymore. Yes, the 30mm fuel pump was out of it's mount, too. We mounted that in Safari tank, and it all seems to fit.

8c02e80f.jpg

668115d7.jpg