1987 Honda xl250r problem?

So I have and xl that will run like a top until it gets warm then it will intermittently run horribly, backfiring, bogging and choking itself out. I am thinking it is an electrical problem, but I have recently replaced the cdi and the coil. What could he the issue????????

Thanks

Kyle

stator is most likely the issue, when cold it's fine, when hot the marginal insulation on the windings heats up and they start to lose continuity (power starts running across the windings or not at all instead of running through the length of wire in winding)

Also make sure valves are not too tight,could be valve adjustment, but my guess is stator, hate to say it but seldom is it coil or cdi , but don't feel bad I knew my stator was bad and I bought stator,coil, cdi,spark plug cap and pulse coil just to know it was all new.

Ricky stator or baja designs rewind, I used the ricky because it has two coils for ignition charge and stock has one.

Thanks the stator has to be it because I recently checked the valve clearance and they were perfect. I was wondering if you knew if a 1986 Honda xR250 stator would work in my XL

they are different, xl has neuteral switch in wire loom, I do believe it will bolt in and make power, but you will have a little different wiring set up. You will have to change plug on stator to your old one. You can run your own wire for neuteral switch, I dont know what you will do for the battery in your xl because the xr stator won't charge it, the xr has no battery unless it's a newer XR-L .

It may be easier to buy a stator, ricky stator only has it for xr so stock is your only real choice, ebay may be as bad as the one you have. New is about 250.00 ouch I know

If you can find one cheap on ebay try it but only get it if it's cheap otherwise buy new

Scored a 1985 XL stator on eBay for 40 bucks and if that doesnt work I will send it into rewind. Thanks for the knowledge this thing has been pissing me off

:cheers:

stator is most likely the issue, when cold it's fine, when hot the marginal insulation on the windings heats up and they start to lose continuity (power starts running across the windings or not at all instead of running through the length of wire in winding)

Also make sure valves are not too tight,could be valve adjustment, but my guess is stator, hate to say it but seldom is it coil or cdi , but don't feel bad I knew my stator was bad and I bought stator,coil, cdi,spark plug cap and pulse coil just to know it was all new.

Ricky stator or baja designs rewind, I used the ricky because it has two coils for ignition charge and stock has one.

:ride:

good luck kyleanegus, keep us posted on progress

Well I got the $43 stator on Monday and put it in the old XL she fired right up. I still didn't trust it until tonight my cousin followed me on abouT a 18 mile trail ride, he laid it over a couple of times and the XL still fired up after one kick and ran smooth. Tonight I put a 1985 XR250 rear rim on it and and a 53 tooth sprocket for the trail and it feels like a new bike. Thanks for the advice I think I finally have all the kinks worked out of this old girl, but the true test will be this Saturday on a 65 mile ride. Hopefully iT doesn't leave my cousin stranded

Cool very cool, I love it when a plan comes together. I'm guessing that thing will be a good solid ride, these old xl's are almost a bullet proof ride, I'll be riding mine till they lock me away in a home....a cheap state run home, with nothing to do but old puzzles with missing pieces, damn kids.