Sign in to follow this  

What is this Green crap? Algae in my 2004 CRF250x carb?

Well I am guessing this why my bike isn't running really well with up and down idling, running really lean and hot? What is the best stuff to clean and or soak this in?? - Thanks

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6256.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

some carb cleaner or fresh fuel and something to scrub it with, i maybe clean the main jet but replace the pilot

brass turns green when it corrodes, your jets are brass

that carb is so bad I would replace all the jets

Looks like ethanol got you. Ethanol attracts moisture, it's a huge problem in all my vehicles that sit for more than a few days. Fuel stabilizers help, but it still happens. I had to replace two aluminum gas tanks in my boat from internal corrosion because of this, those tanks were $600 each!

brass turns green when it corrodes, your jets are brass

that carb is so bad I would replace all the jets

@MegaDeTH - I'd have to agree, i cleaned them up pretty good, but I am thinking its worth a new kit with jets. Also I think i F'd up, i am guessing carb cleaner wasn't meant for the throttle value and rollers area up top, the carb cleaner must of dried it up and now its sticking. My pilot jet was plugged for sure, couldn't push anything through, had a thin wire to poke it through.

Looks like ethanol got you. Ethanol attracts moisture, it's a huge problem in all my vehicles that sit for more than a few days. Fuel stabilizers help, but it still happens. I had to replace two aluminum gas tanks in my boat from internal corrosion because of this, those tanks were $600 each!

Man I'm glad I live in Missouri where we have better air and our vehicles don't mess up only after ethanol sits in the tanks for a few days!

Hell e85 users would be screwed :cheers:

@MegaDeTH - I'd have to agree, i cleaned them up pretty good, but I am thinking its worth a new kit with jets. Also I think i F'd up, i am guessing carb cleaner wasn't meant for the throttle value and rollers area up top, the carb cleaner must of dried it up and now its sticking. My pilot jet was plugged for sure, couldn't push anything through, had a thin wire to poke it through.

yeah your not supposed to put carb cleaner on plastic/rubber bits, it can ruin them, or remove a coating when they have them. I've heard of people using pinesol + water to soak their carb parts in and supposedly works great, I've never tried it though..

yeah your not supposed to put carb cleaner on plastic/rubber bits, it can ruin them, or remove a coating when they have them. I've heard of people using pinesol + water to soak their carb parts in and supposedly works great, I've never tried it though..

Yeah, I was a clown when i did that...but we're all good now - new jets and all cleaned up and ready to rock and roll, took it out for test ride for about 30 minutes at trails, carb good, top end good, valvues good, camper cleaned up for the summer... not bad for noob doing his own rebuild - desert 100 here i come woooohoo!

http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/