Post Harscramble Soreness - Need some input

Raced the first harescramble of the series this past Saturday, muddy and VERY rough track . . .

I’m 45, a bit overweight . . . but improving.

I’ve spent the last few months really working at conditioning and I can tell my cardiovascular fitness has improved. I’m up to about 25 minutes on a Stair Stepper and another 25 minutes on the Concept 2 rower (this may not be a lot to some but it’s definitely progress for me). I use interval mode on the Stair Stepper and get the heart rate 145-150 bpm. I mostly pull a consistent wattage on the rower with a few minutes throughout with more intensity. I’ve learned enough about cardiovascular conditioning to know that’s volume is important so I don’t do this any less than 4 times a week.

The idea is to work towards getting 75-90 minutes cardio 3-4 times a week and go for 120 minutes once per week to mimic the race duration. We’ll see . . .

I was whipped after the race but it was more related to how my upper body was wore out. Even now, two days after the race, my lower half is only slightly sore in specific spots. What’s hurting is my obliques and upper back, but what hurts the worst are shoulders (deltoids), particularly the middle deltoids. Doesn’t that seem strange? Only thing I can figure is from horsing the bike through the muddy ruts.

Anyway, it’s obvious I need to incorporate upper body conditioning. Working on strength is OK but I think it’s more about muscular endurance.

Your thoughts?

I was thinking about substituting part of the current cardio with step ups combined with overhead press, light weight, so that I can manage to put some time into it for a quasi cardio/shoulder endurance thing. Then maybe twice a week do the traditional upper body strength exercises: pull-ups/dips, press/rows, and some core stuff.

I’d be very appreciative of comments or success stories from anyone that’s been through this or knows better than I . . . thanks

Do some upper body weights, not heavy and high reps, rowing is good for upper back, and ride as much as possible

Getting old sucks!

Honestly, all the gym stuff is good, but there's really nothing you can do to

completely prevent soreness from the day after a race. I trained for months in

the gym prior to my race season. I even got a mountain bike and peddled

uphills for about an hour every day to train. The problem with racing is, the

faster you get, the harder you'll push yourself, and there's not much you can

do training-wise to replicate that type of physical exertion.

I just finished a couple races in the last 3 weeks. One being on a sand course

doing about 58 miles and the other was a 90 mile desert race. I'm 23 years old,

ride almost every weekend, and after both races running at A-pace, I was

hobbling around like an old man for 4 days after the race. lol

LOL . . . words of wisdom for sure. Yeah, I can see getting sore ANYWAY.

I think low weight high reps sound about right.

And LOTS of seat time.

Thanks

don't forget recovery as well. i think you may have been overtrained coming into this race. you should have took a good day or two off prior to the race then a light cardio workout the day bf the race or that morning to loosen the body up. also after the race it is good to do a light cardio and stretch you will be less sore the next day

for muscle endurance if you search my threads i have a few good workouts posted that work very well for strength and endurance while keeping the heart rate up

Raced the first harescramble of the series this past Saturday, muddy and VERY rough track . . .

I’m 45, a bit overweight . . . but improving.

I’ve spent the last few months really working at conditioning and I can tell my cardiovascular fitness has improved. I’m up to about 25 minutes on a Stair Stepper and another 25 minutes on the Concept 2 rower (this may not be a lot to some but it’s definitely progress for me). I use interval mode on the Stair Stepper and get the heart rate 145-150 bpm. I mostly pull a consistent wattage on the rower with a few minutes throughout with more intensity. I’ve learned enough about cardiovascular conditioning to know that’s volume is important so I don’t do this any less than 4 times a week.

The idea is to work towards getting 75-90 minutes cardio 3-4 times a week and go for 120 minutes once per week to mimic the race duration. We’ll see . . .

I was whipped after the race but it was more related to how my upper body was wore out. Even now, two days after the race, my lower half is only slightly sore in specific spots. What’s hurting is my obliques and upper back, but what hurts the worst are shoulders (deltoids), particularly the middle deltoids. Doesn’t that seem strange? Only thing I can figure is from horsing the bike through the muddy ruts.

Anyway, it’s obvious I need to incorporate upper body conditioning. Working on strength is OK but I think it’s more about muscular endurance.

Your thoughts?

I was thinking about substituting part of the current cardio with step ups combined with overhead press, light weight, so that I can manage to put some time into it for a quasi cardio/shoulder endurance thing. Then maybe twice a week do the traditional upper body strength exercises: pull-ups/dips, press/rows, and some core stuff.

I’d be very appreciative of comments or success stories from anyone that’s been through this or knows better than I . . . thanks

LOL . . . words of wisdom for sure. Yeah, I can see getting sore ANYWAY.

I think low weight high reps sound about right.

And LOTS of seat time.

Thanks

I don't think you can go wrong with that :cheers:

If you find any sort of supplement to take prior to racing that will speed up

post-muscle recovery, please PM me! :ride: