Race Tech valve emulator settings

I just replaced the rear shock on my daughter's CRF230F with a Works Performance shock. I am in the process of installing the Race Tech valve emulators in the front forks but have some questions about setup.

1) I am planning on using the stock springs. My daughter weighs about 155-160 lbs with gear and is an intermediate level rider. She can ride just about anything, but she is very mellow and doesn't take the rough stuff real fast. The preload measurement with the stock spring is within the spec of the emulator instructions. Any problem with using the stock springs?

2) What weight fork oil should I use? I have some 5W and 15W, but think I need something inbetween. Should I try a 50/50 mix to get 10W? Or should I buy some new oil? If so, what viscosity?

3) How much oil should I put in? I would prefer a measurement from the top of the fork rather than volume.

Thanks.

We just did our two 230s - One for a 150 pound rider and one for a 200 pound rider. Here's what I can tell you:

1) The stock fork springs will work well for her body weight. We both used the stock springs. My race sag was right on the money and his was a little more but he also runs a little more in the back to keep the bike lower to the ground.

2) I would start with RT's recommendation of US3 (15w) and go from there. We both used Bel-Ray 15w with great results. The forks now have adequate rebound damping and resist brake dive, yet the low-speed compression damping is very compliant. Many MX riders use 20w and a lot of woods riders use 10w so it's a matter of preference. In my opinion, the 15w is barely adequate to get the rebound damping where it needs to be. We ride VERY hard and fast and I believe anthing less than 15w would be a mistake. There are many others here who would disagree with us so you'll have to find out for yourself.

3) Start with the oil at stock level (5.7") measured with the emulators installed. If the forks bottom hard on big hits add a little more oil. I added an extra 10ccs (1/3 oz) to each leg to give mine just a bit more bottoming resistance. A "tap" is okay - A "clunk" or "bang" is not. You should expect to bottom your suspension at least once on any given track.

There is a setup database here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955529

Good luck...

Thanks! That is just the info I needed.

My daughter has never complained about bottoming out or a harsh ride but I think that is just because she has never experienced anything better. Her younger brother would bottom out all the time on very small jumps and ledges. He has now moved up to a CRF250X and cannot believe the difference. Now my daughter is finding she can't keep up with the group since she is the only one without decent suspension. Hopefully these changes will fix that!

You will be incredibly surprised at how well the 230 performs with a decent shock and emulators. It's a world of difference and your daughter will enjoy it very much. That 250X won't be too far out in front after all this suspension work is done. A well setup 230 is just about unbeatable in the woods - I don't care what you're riding against. My buddy had a late-model XR250 with a carb and piston and proper suspension setup and he could never keep up with me in the woods. He now rides a 230. My other buddy still has a late-model XR250 with proper suspension setup and he too cannot keep us in sight. He is now looking for a 230. I should clarify our 230s are 100% properly suspended with Hlebo/Fox shocks.

The stock suspension on the 230 is about the worst junk I've ever experienced. Not only is it harsh, it is downright dangerous and will put you on your head if you're not careful. It severely limits the bike's ability to maintain speed in the woods due to lack of traction, poor braking, harsh ride, and fear of getting hurt. Once fixed, the bike is a pure joy to ride hard and fast and it'll take you anywhere you point it with ease. Twice I've had WR250Fs behind me and both times they gave up chasing me. I've also ridden with a well setup KLX450 and the owner was blown away at the 230s capability in the woods. Now that's fun!

Good luck...

You will be incredibly surprised at how well the 230 performs with a decent shock and emulators. It's a world of difference and your daughter will enjoy it very much. That 250X won't be too far out in front after all this suspension work is done.

I hope my daughter immediately notices the difference. My only worry is getting it set up wrong to begin with. Her first chance to ride it will be our spring break trip coming up soon. Four days of riding! I hope she loves it - and not hates it.

I hope my daughter immediately notices the difference. My only worry is getting it set up wrong to begin with. Her first chance to ride it will be our spring break trip coming up soon. Four days of riding! I hope she loves it - and not hates it.

Just drop in the emulators as they come - They'll be very close to being right for her. Works will have the shock already setup for you when it comes. If not, run it with as little damping as possible. Believe me, she'll notice the difference IMMEDIATELY. Our two 230s ride better than both the late-model XR250s, which were both properly setup.

Also - When you reassemble the forks have a good ride and then check the fork oil level again. We pumped ours like mad when we set the oil level and both bikes were still low after the first ride and the air got worked out.

Please let us know how it all works out...