Sign in to follow this  

TE511 vs G450X

Well I was finally able to spend some quality time on the new Husqvarna TE511 off road on some two track at Windrock/Coal Creek, a rocky and muddy ORV park in TN this past weekend.

My baseline is a 2009 BMW G450X with upgraded Ohlins TTX rear shock and WP48mm front forks with TTX cartridge inserts. Also equipped with Scott's steering stabilizer, SpeedBrain Akra header and BMW Akra muffler, Power Commander V and Speedbrain seat(which is significantly harder then stock believe it or not :p ) For dual sporting I always use 15/48 stock gearing, for this park I ran 14/47 which was about perfect. Also have a 3.2 gallon custom CF tank for extra capacity) However don't think I'm not familiar with a stock G450X, have one of those in the garage too :cheers:

Initial impression just standing or sitting on the TE511 in the showroom/shop was nothing out of the ordinary and ergo's felt good enough for a 235lb/6.2"/34"inseam kinda guy. Once riding I felt very at home on the bike standing on the pegs or seated. Front forks felt great for an out of the box setting and rear too except too softly sprung in the rear for me and just about right up front for casual dual sporting. The TE511 seemed to handled water breaks just fine and I'd have to say this is the best suspended out of the crate HSQ I've ever been on and superior to the 09 and 10 G450X in initial suspension set-up. If I would have taken another loop, I would have cranked up on rear re-bound and compression, but I'm sure a lot of that was because it was under sprung in the rear for my riding weight which is easily over 260lbs with all the gear. You can feel the bike is a tad wider at the pegs, it's not your imagination, but I was far from bow-legged like riding an HP2 off-road. Seat is also one of the more comfy stock seats I've been on and it's nice that it has a pan that can be re-foamed and covered easily as opposed to the G450X where you have to buy an aftermarket seat that is harder then OEM from the start. Rear fender wasn't any issue transitioning for obstacles and moving around on the bike was as effortless as anything I'm used to.

EFI was also very good in comparison to previous Husky offerings and right on par with the G450X (pretty much the same management system and such) However I found it odd that the TE511 has more engine vibes then the G450X, not sure if it's the frame or internal differences in the engine, but the TE511 definitely had a little more "character" then the G450X, however still much smoother then a TE450/510 (with counter balancer). I took a TE449 for a quick buzz down the street to see if it was a displacement thing and both TE449 and 511 are just marginally buzzier then the G450X and since the G450X is almost electric, that ain't bad! lol

The Gearing,..........well just about anyone who has read any of my past comments will guess where this is going. The TE gearing would be great for cross country competition like on a TXC, however for a dual sporter it's just not as good as the G450X for me. The G450/449/511 powerplant has a very linear and broad power band, but having too short of gearing makes it almost more work to ride whether you're hauling butt or just cruising up the trail at a pleasurable pace. The TE511 had stock sprockets and I'm not sure going up any wouldn't have been much of a benefit as first gear felt just right and never got much over 50 in the terrain we were riding. However my G450 on the same trails with 14/47 gearing (slower then stock) was still spread out better for both spirited and putt putt riding. If only HSQ would offer a TE with a wide ratio PLEASE!!!! Don't get me wrong, the gearing ratio will work just fine, but it could be better for a bike with such a wide range of potential riding conditions. Clutch operation and modulation was great, although I'm not rushing out to adapt a hydro on the G450X, just don't see that much of a benefit when a spare cable is very easy to pack in the tote for my weekend get-aways.

Ok for the bad, the rear tag/turn signal holder lasted all of 20 miles of a 22 mile loop on 2 track jeep type trails in an ORV park, the last two miles it was beat to death by the rear tire hanging on by one of the turn signal wires. Washing the TE511 is a PAIN if you've been in the mud, took about 12 minutes to wash off 22 miles of muck vs 5 minutes to do the G450X with 75 miles of muck on it. All the angles under the TE's fenders are great at letting mud collect and hang on and the CTS frame configuration combined with all the lower framing really collects and hides the mud.

Overall great engine and ergos, would have loved a real off-road tire instead of the Karoo's in the mucky spots we found, but we made it through and I'm sure the CTS aided in that just as it has on the G450X. I'm used to power sliding everywhere on the HP2 with Karoos so it didn't take much adapting to make a few of the hill climbs.

Now off to do some more detailing to make this "Demo" TE511 look new again :ride:

I wonder how that gearing issues played out internally at BMW / Husky ?

Something like, "If we have to use your motor, at least let us gear it 'the way we've always done it' "

On my factory visit last month in Varese, Italy, the guys I talked to really didn't get the gearing issue, when I brought it up more than once. And, there isn't going to be a change there. Or a North America spec bike with better gears. Or a BMW supplied kit to change the gears.

I've asked the factory to supply me with the necessary drawings so that I could make my own gears. That hasn't happened yet.

I have 370 miles on my 511 now. I decattred the muffler and it went into "race map II" mode on it's own and gained bark off the bottom and afterburner on top and is seriously fast and QUIET at the same time. Rode killer single track with two semi fast dudes on a 2011 KTM300 and FE390 Breg and had no issues running out front all day. I freaking LOVE this motorcycle. Butter smooth motor / trans / clutch, awesome handling that ignores ruts and climbs everything EZ, and feels light. HuskyRIPs might be right. This bike might be a game changer. I can't get over how awesome it is. Everyone who has ridden it is stunned. I really do not want to ride any of my other bikes anymore. For me this bike is a lot better than my 2010 TXC250 or 08 TXC450 both which I liked a lot. Fits me like a glove and can hardly wait to ride it some more. If you tire of my love rants put me on ignore because this bike is my favorite bike ever.

BTW i geared mine up to a 46T rear so i can cruz at 65 EZ and it still handles the tight stuff great as it will pull clean from 1 RPM to whatever redline is. Amazing.

2011 KTM300 rider waves me by as he is tired of me on his ass. I lead the rest of the day :cheers:

VID -

Still loving the trials tires as well. Takes some getting used to and different technique on some stuff. Need to make sure you do nto grab to much front brake.

1239568647_T7oiT-L.jpg

1239568689_5ekrZ-L.jpg

the new KTMs are pretty sexy...

1239568706_RrWe7-L.jpg

Edited by Ride

something else I just discovered, the engine cases between the G450X and TE449/511 are indeed different from the outside. The biggest tell tale above and beyond the black case of the TE vs silver of the G is there is a webbed chain gaurd support instead of just a round pillar to mount the chain case gaurd too. Thought I had compared all the external bosses and such better but just discovered the minor difference while detailing the two a little bit ago. If they made such a minor change on the casting, they quite possibly made other changes internally or such to accomodate gearing.

My very short play/test ride on a bone stock 449 left me with the exact same impression as BMWAtlanta so I would echo what he has said.

Only thing that did bother me which I haven't seem mentioned is when standing weight back the wide/angular side panels (just above the "449" dug into my legs which was uncomfortable for me. I am tall and it was whoops.

I have read all of Rides posts on the subject but I still can't help but feel the gearbox ratios were a big missed opportunity. This motor while not having much flywheel feel does pull nicely and has a smooth torque curve and IMO could easily pull wider ratios. Both my friend (449) and Ride (511) have geared their bikes up for more cruise. And a factory engineered hard-parts big tank option from the get-go.

Bruce

Only thing that did bother me which I haven't seem mentioned is when standing weight back the wide/angular side panels dug into my legs which was uncomfortable for me. I am tall and it was whoops

I'm 6 foot, no issues at all with the rear fender for me.

I have read all of Rides posts on the subject but I still can't help but feel the gearbox ratios were a big missed opportunity. This motor while not having much flywheel feel does pull nicely and has a smooth torque curve and IMO could easily pull wider ratios. And a factory hard-parts big tank from the get-go.

Bruce

Agree to some point. I put a 46 on the rear and can still ride single track EZ as the motor is so freaking flexible. But yes, a taller 6th would be welcome. As it is now it works perfect for me. Cruz at 65-70 with the 46 and no issues with single track but not 100% ideal 1st gear / need to clutch it some at times.

Yes that tank needs to be bigger.

Other than that this bike is near perfect for my needs.

Previous to the 511 you said the 390 Berg was you favorite 4s. How does the 511 compare?

Previous to the 511 you said the 390 Berg was you favorite 4s. How does the 511 compare?

I like the 511 better. Feels less top heavy, smoother motor, no engine braking, better shifting, better suspension (for slower stuff), and fits me like a glove. It has quickly become the top dog for me.

We need to get together soon so you can ride it. going to PM you in a second for a ride.

Oh and a little quirk, make sure you have some good riding pants on with full leather panels on the right leg if they are over the boot (like my KLIM pants), otherwise you'll have burn holes in no time even with feet on the pegs. Our service manager took a TE511 for a test ride for pre delivery check and came back with two nice sized holes in his jeans. It's also very easy to brush the header when throwing a leg forward if you don't kick it way out.

Oh and a little quirk, make sure you have some good riding pants on with full leather panels on the right leg if they are over the boot (like my KLIM pants), otherwise you'll have burn holes in no time even with feet on the pegs. Our service manager took a TE511 for a test ride for pre delivery check and came back with two nice sized holes in his jeans. It's also very easy to brush the header when throwing a leg forward if you don't kick it way out.

I wear in the boot and have no issues. I do agree about the rear spring, I am just over 200 pounds and it is too light for me in the faster whooped out stuff but butter in the tight stuff. Also agree this is some of the best stock suspension i have ever tried.

Ride,

How does the TE511 compare to the TXC449? Two weeks ago I got to ride one for a couple hours and I just couldn't get use to the handling. I couldn't get the thing to turn like my FX450 does. I liked the power just not the handling. I was hoping it would handle a little better then it did because I do like the new Husky's but after riding it I couldn't see myself giving up my FX450 for one.

Those trails look awesome by the way, where abouts in Washington are they? Its a shame so many trails are getting logged these days.

Ride,

How does the TE511 compare to the TXC449? Two weeks ago I got to ride one for a couple hours and I just couldn't get use to the handling. I couldn't get the thing to turn like my FX450 does. I liked the power just not the handling. I was hoping it would handle a little better then it did because I do like the new Husky's but after riding it I couldn't see myself giving up my FX450 for one.

Those trails look awesome by the way, where abouts in Washington are they? Its a shame so many trails are getting logged these days.

I bet you like to turn a bike with brake and/or on the gas? The 449/G450's really hook up and if you're looking for the rear to step out as easily as other's that won't be the case I'm thinking.

Ride,

the Berg feels quicker turning but the husky turns great for me. No issues there and I love the planted feeling. Not as sharp or quick as my 2010 TXC but works great all the same for me. It is less nervous than most bikes yet still turns great IMHO.

Yeah I do like to steer with the rear a little.

Ride did you respring the bike for your weight or were you lucky enough to fall into the weight zone for the factory springs?

Yeah I do like to steer with the rear a little.

Ride did you respring the bike for your weight or were you lucky enough to fall into the weight zone for the factory springs?

I'm at about 210 and the rear spring is slightly soft for me but works great on the 1-3 gear trails I frequent. Will add a heavier spring soon.

Yes, you have to be careful with the baggy pants or Levis (I ruined a pair on a 5 mi street ride). I put some header wrap over the hot area to fix.

I am very pleased with my TE511, it's a blast to ride and I love how it is so much different than other bikes.

I only have about 60 miles on it due to the snow here but I've noticed a few little quirks. They definitely don't outweigh how good the bike is, but here they are:

-EFI not quite flawless. Will never start cold and stay running the first try, always requires a second start. I've also had it stall abrubtly with the clutch in coming to a stop a few times. Other than that, the responsiveness of the EFI is very good.

-Notchy shifting. I'm hoping this improves the more things break in. Also, cannot find neutral at a dead stop with the motor running to save my ass. Bled the clutch, no improvement to either.

-Motor won't start in the "lights off" key position.

-Wheels way off balance. Although this is probably true of most dirt bikes with a single rim lock, but it took 4 ounces to balance each tire. Balancing is definitely worth while for any riding over 40mph.

Yes, you have to be careful with the baggy pants or Levis (I ruined a pair on a 5 mi street ride). I put some header wrap over the hot area to fix.

I am very pleased with my TE511, it's a blast to ride and I love how it is so much different than other bikes.

I only have about 60 miles on it due to the snow here but I've noticed a few little quirks. They definitely don't outweigh how good the bike is, but here they are:

-EFI not quite flawless. Will never start cold and stay running the first try, always requires a second start. I've also had it stall abrubtly with the clutch in coming to a stop a few times. Other than that, the responsiveness of the EFI is very good.

-Notchy shifting. I'm hoping this improves the more things break in. Also, cannot find neutral at a dead stop with the motor running to save my ass. Bled the clutch, no improvement to either.

-Motor won't start in the "lights off" key position.

-Wheels way off balance. Although this is probably true of most dirt bikes with a single rim lock, but it took 4 ounces to balance each tire. Balancing is definitely worth while for any riding over 40mph.

Much like the G450X, the TE449/511 responds well to a quick priming of the fuel system by tapping the starter once the key is on, this will be enough to "bump" the starter and wake up the fuel pump but not turn the engine over to start it. You'll hear the fuel pump come on and then about 5 seconds later light'er up and it should staying running for you.

As for the stalling, I would highly recommend letting this bike get up to operating temps before puting any kind of major load on it (more then second gear speeds). Your shifting will get much smoother the more it breaks in including finding neutral.

My TE511 on the lean mode would not start instantly and did not like to idle / might die. But in power up mode funs perfect and after i decatted my muffler it went into "race map II" mode and runs PERFECT / flat rips. I have 375 miles on mine now and it runs better every day. Feels more free reving and has a very happy idle / EZ starting. As for the trans i don't know what to tell you, one of the first things i noticed on this bike was a super slick shifting. Maybe you need to bleed the clutch or change the oil.