help from the tall riders out there

I'm 6,2. I'm riding a 2002 rm 250. I just starting racing hare scrambles And by the end of the race i know my back and arms hurt a lot more than they should. I'm sure it has something to do with the way my bike is set up. When i stand up i feel I'm leaning way to far forward. What the best setup that you have had luck with. I was thinking some 2" risers with some sort of high bend bars. Thanks

Im 6'4 and I like my TAG bar risers and KW bars for my race bikes... of course Im standing alot and in the attack position most of the time. I dont sit much except through corners or if I need to seat bounce. Before I got the new bars and risers I got some pretty bad arm pump. But never had any back problems, maybe try bending your knees a little more so they absorb more of the impacts.

YES! Get some risers. The ones I had on my last 2 bikes moved the bars up and forward, which was fantastic. I left them on my '03 when I sold it cause the guy who bought it from me was 6'6"! There is about 3/4" of blocks under the bars on my new-to-me '07, so I'll try it for now and see.

IIRC some tall guys like CR HIGH bend bars, and Pastrana FMX bars too I think.

Some guys get Fastway LoBoy pegs too, and a tall seat foam would make things better as well, although I haven't got one yet.

^^^ couldnt agree more. my risers only lift the bars 1/2 inch and I also run the Windham mid bars on all my bikes and they feel perfect.

Im thinking he's keeping his legs too stiff and straight causing him to ride hunched over the bike instead of being in an attack position which naturally puts you over the front of the bike. Bending at the waist/ back instead of using your legs. Just a possibility.

Let me delve into the other half of the issue that's been ignored until now....your riding an MX bike for HS racing. Has your suspension been revalved for this? If not, try dialing back your compression and seeing if the bike handles the roots and rocks better. Properly set up suspension will go along ways towards reducing rider fatigue. :cheers:

I'm 6'4" and run 10mm rise bar mounts along with Windham bend ProTaper EVOs. Seat height is stock, pegs height is stock right now, although I have experimented with low-boy (and may again some day). Just make sure your knees are bent and you are in the attack position.

As others have said, concentrate on bending your knees more. You shouldn't have your weight too far forward. Arm pump can be coming from having your levers out too far from center, let the long end of the lever do it's job. I have a SDG Tall seat on my YZ250F and it makes staying up with knees bent so much easier. I'm 6'1", no risers, ProTaper Contour on +2, and no arm pump.

I will definitely try to bend my knees more. I think part of it is just getting in shape too. I'm not used to bending my knees like that for 2+ hours. I think I'm going to go with the bar risers because i like how you can move them forward. I feel like I'm reaching back to far for the bars. I know my suspension could use some tweaking. When i hit a log in first gear my back end shoots sky high. I'm definitely going to try and move my levers in more. When I'm done racing, and some times during, my hand cramps up so bad i cant pull in the clutch. Thanks for the help guys.

Im 6'2 and dont run bar risers, I used to, I then rode with an extreme enduro winner and told me to take them off, he rode with David Knight and he is as tall if not taller than me and does not use them,

I find the bike corners better, and my weight is kept more over the front of the bike, as you raise your bars they go further back towards you

I see what your saying, but i almost feel as if I'm Too far over the bike. When Standing i often have to keep myself from falling forward.

Funny I was going to start a thread like this as this is how I feel too!! I am just getting back into riding after taking 15 yrs off and I am finding that my xc 300 is an awesome bike but I am 6'2" and when I stand I always feel like I am going to go right over the bars... I know I have to work on my suspension a little bit as well but I was thinking that the risers would allow me to be not so hunched over to reach the bars... mind you most of the guys that I ride with so not to because it affects the handling of the bike too much... How much does it really affect it and is it worth it to be a little more comfortable???

Hey - do you wear a kidney belt? It won't help the arms but helps keep the back pain down a little. I also have 2" risers on my bike - I'm 6'4" 250lbs and between the risers and the kidney belt I'm all good.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't get in the trap of using very high bars.The more bars you try the better your choice will be. Proper body position training is the key. I'm .6.6 and i use Pro Taper EVO Windham mid bars without risers.

It was great to see this post and be reminded of my troubles last year: My back and neck hurt on my new 08 300XC. Im 6'5" and long in the body. I got bar risers, and now the pain is a memory I forgot until this post. If you are hunched over, you also arent looking as far down the trail as you should.