Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Making Moaning Type Noise

Hey Guys,

I bought a 2006 Rm250 a few months ago and have been slowly fixing all the bike's issues. When I first got it, the clutch was draggy in first gear and then slipped badly once it got hot. I put a new Barnett clutch kit, pressure plate and inner hub as all the aforementioned components appeared well worn upon disassembly and inspection. The basket itself was good (it's a Hinson unit). That fixed all my dragging and slipping, but now there is a strange "moaning" sound coming from the clutch area when sliipping the clutch taking off in first gear. Also, the clutch feels a bit notchy or grabby when slipping it from a dead stop in first....all this only happens in first when taking off- it's butter everywhere else. I'm wondering if it's caused by the stiff Barnett springs which easily seem twice the tension of the worn stockers....or maybe I tightened the springs down too tight- hard to find a torque wrench that goes down to 4 ft-lbs lol :cheers:

All help-suggestions will be appreciated and thanks in advance :ride:

-----Vince

I have been asking the same thing...the responses I had are..."It's normal". My clutch is soooo loud that it makes a noticeable difference when I am sitting at idle, engaging and disgaging the clutch. When its in...its quiet, when its out...it sounds like a bucket of bolts, moaning and growling.

My bike is a 2006 RM250 as well, so this may be the way they are. The motors are also loud when at idle (motor noise and rattling).

I believe (or hope) at this time that I have been spoiled on how tight a 4-stroke sounds in comparrison to a 2-stroke...thus, I hear all the strange sounds they make. But who know's...I just ride the thing, and if it blows, then I will know....

My old rm250 had a noisy clutch in neutral. The 450 ktm I have now makes a ton of noise in neutral with the clutch lever out, pull the lever in and it's quiet. It's normal for dirt bike engines IMO.

Stiffer springs will make the clutch grabbier. I was thinking it before you mentioned it. Big possibility there. As for the noise...... we can all give you an opinion on something we can't hear and hopefully someone is right. One more inspection of the parts might help. If something's not right it may have left a trail by now.

Check an on-line parts diagram , of the clutch.

All you need to take it apart is........1 take off cover

2 take off the 6 clutch spring bolts.

3 flatten out the big washer....and take off the big nut , holding the clutch basket on.

4 inspect everything ...for wear ....and missing parts.

5 put back together.

MrHankey,, You, ot-to, go out to SC,, We got a good haresramble on the first Week end of next Month,,,, it would be nice to see a little more Yellow out there...... Dr.D..

There is only 4 things that would make the clutch noise more than normal. The RM's are noisy.

1st would be the only nut holding everything together, the main clutch nut could back off if it was not torque correctly. Unless you have a inter clutch hub tool to hold back up as you some how try to get the correct torque, its only estimating that you spun it tight.

2nd, clutch spring bolt backed out. Easy to over torque and soft threads make for pulled threads that may not let go until it heats up and gets some clutch abuse. Next thing you know the bolts backed out and rubbing against the clutch cover.

3rd, main transmission bearing about to go south or just having enough wear to growl when there is no load on the clutch.

4th, clutch gear bushings could be worn and causing back lash. Thats the big gear riveted to the clutch basket.

If you think all of the above are good and you have no concerns, then ride the hell out of it and don't worry about it.

There is only 4 things that would make the clutch noise more than normal. The RM's are noisy.

1st would be the only nut holding everything together, the main clutch nut could back off if it was not torque correctly. Unless you have a inter clutch hub tool to hold back up as you some how try to get the correct torque, its only estimating that you spun it tight.

2nd, clutch spring bolt backed out. Easy to over torque and soft threads make for pulled threads that may not let go until it heats up and gets some clutch abuse. Next thing you know the bolts backed out and rubbing against the clutch cover.

3rd, main transmission bearing about to go south or just having enough wear to growl when there is no load on the clutch.

4th, clutch gear bushings could be worn and causing back lash. Thats the big gear riveted to the clutch basket.

If you think all of the above are good and you have no concerns, then ride the hell out of it and don't worry about it.

Thanks Padgett (and everyone else too) I'll check on that stuff- I'm thinking clutch spring/bolt issue or else it's nothing to worry about. I don't hear this noise in neutral- just as I'm slipping the clutch taking off in first gear. Either in neutral or in gear there is no noise.

I need to change the tranny fluid anyway so I'll take the clutch cover off and give it all a good inspection one last time. . . thanks again for all the replies!!!