Sign in to follow this  

K6 S model - Upgrading to SM Spec

Afternoon All,

Long time viewer, recent joiner.

I've not too long since purchased a K6 model drz in the S spec, I'd hoped for the SM but the right one came along at the right price and I'd bought it before I realised (we've all been there Im sure).

Anyway as I estimate I'll be going off-road no more than 5/6times a year I felt I'd still like to SM spec the bike I'd picked up and during the work I'd add a few comfort items.

So I've Ordered/Got with the intention of fitting;

Excel Rims with SM rubber,

Braided Brake Line,

USD K5 SM forks,

Bottom Yoke,

320mm Rotor,

Heated inserts,

New Grips,

Discrete Mirrors.

The only problem is that I have a habbit of racing into these types of tasks, getting to a point before - facepalm, followed by screams of "8o11ocks, I need a *insert random part name here*" SOOOOO mighty TT forum - other than maybe some head bearings and a fork service what bits/bats etc do I need to complete this swap?

The factory SM front rotor is 310mm. If you want to mount a 320mm you'll need a caliper relocation bracket.

You have "bottom yoke" on your list but you'll need the top, also. And with the SM front end you'll need oversized bars.

That S fender is going to look like crap over the front wheel so add an SM fender to your list.

Running the S gearing and chain is fine but if you do much highway you may like taller gearing better, which will require new sprockets and maybe a new chain. Swapping the stock 15-tooth countershaft sprocket for a 16-tooth combined with the factory 44-tooth rear sprocket will net you factory SM gearing and allow you to retain the factory 112-link S chain.

Spot on mate thats exactly the sort of info I was after regarding the tripple clamp and fat bars.

Sprockets were nearly new at purchase so they'll do for now but agreed on the next set the front sprocket will be 1tooth up.

Spot on mate thats exactly the sort of info I was after regarding the tripple clamp and fat bars.

Sprockets were nearly new at purchase so they'll do for now but agreed on the next set the front sprocket will be 1tooth up.

while you have the back wheel off it is worth throwing a smaller back sprocket on if you will be doing road riding only. just put about 70 miles on my bike doing freeway riding yesterday with the 15/44 sprocket setup on my S and as fast as I was comfortable going was approx 60. coming back I followed a semi and slowed it down a bit more because i didn't even like the steady high Rpms of 60.