Sign in to follow this  

Started smoking

I just picked up my second X. It's an '08 that has 30 miles on it. It literally still brand new, rock stock, no wear or dirt on anything, even the tires.

The guy bought it, rode it around the yard with his kids a few times and that's it.

When I test rode it eveything was fine. When I got home I rode around some and every thing was fine. The next day I start it and notice that after a few seconds, blue smoke starts coming out the exhaust. Thought maybe it was just loaded up so I reved it up a few times but the smoke continues.

I've had my '05 since it was brand new. I concider myself pretty well versed in crf 250 dept. My '08 sounds absolutely fine, it just smokes now. Do you think maybe the valve stem seals dried out from sitting? Or ???????????

Take it out and drive it just check oil VERY often. Also how long did it sit because if it sat long the oil could have collected water.

Behind the countershaft sprocket, there is a plugged hose located in a holder by the swingarm pivot. Pull the plug and drain it every so often. It's a trap for oil and moisture coming from the valve cover engine vent. If it gets full it backs up oil into the clean side of the airbox which can make it smoke.

If you get some blue on startup, it's somewhat normal. A little oil usage is also.

The rings probably aren't even seated yet if the guy did as little as you described and smoking a bit isn't abnormal until they are. A little light blue smoke is probably no big deal. The clock is ticking on the break in so see below!

Others may, and probably will, disagree, but I belive the proper way to seat the rings is to use engine braking to apply pressure to them to seat them. So, go riding and do alot of accelerating and decelerating via engine braking. Stay off the real brakes. A track can work good for this but I did it on hilly trails. I just spent an afternoon breaking in the motor after new rings and such. The idea is the crosshatching in the cylinder bore will sorta file down the rings if they're pressed hard up against it and motor decel pressure is the best way to do it. There is a limited time for this and after a handful of hours the crosshatching will be less abrasive and break-in will slow and eventually cease.

So, since you don't know what's up with the oil, put some fresh dino oil in it and go break it in pronto. If its smoking a ton, though, this probably isn't whats going on.

The attached is where I first learned about this and then a friend who helped me with our rebuild told me the same thing.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Forgot...when done with break-in, change the oil and filter.

the honda crf just uses 1 thin low tension compression ring and a oil ring stack. Made more for rev's than seal or oil control. Other brand piston ring packs (for this bike) run with more tension and you'll notice less oil usage. Break= in may be the issue but these motors rev and work hard enough just out riding that it doesn't seem to be a problem. 1000cc sportbikes ARE hard to break in without killing yourself or losing your license.

the honda crf just uses 1 thin low tension compression ring and a oil ring stack. Made more for rev's than seal or oil control. Other brand piston ring packs (for this bike) run with more tension and you'll notice less oil usage. Break= in may be the issue but these motors rev and work hard enough just out riding that it doesn't seem to be a problem. 1000cc sportbikes ARE hard to break in without killing yourself or losing your license.

Good follow up...thanks! I thought of this because he said the original owner just putted around the yard....made me think no pressure on the rings doing that so they're not yet broken in.

Ours always seem to use a little oil too and we see some light blue smoke at start up if the sun is just right in the garage.

Thanks for the insight guys, good info. I have checked the drain tube that was refered to and it was empty. I have alot of the bike disassembled to get ready for Odessa. I think I'll throw some new rings in since it would be pretty easy now. My '05 never smoked anything like this even while breaking in fresh top-ends. This bike probably didn't get run hard enough to properly seat the rings.

Maybe put in those new seals you were originally asking about too. Keep us posted on the results. Whats Odessa?