Pulled the trigger

Last week I picked up my new 2011 200 xc-w. Yesterday was the first day I got to ride it (only around my 2 acre yard) and heres what I think so far,

Power - perfect. In first and second I can easily loft the front tire over logs and such even off of almost an idle. 3rd and 4th are smooth as can be. I can tell this gearing is gonna be perfect for me.

Brakes - WOW. Talk about strong! What surprised me though was how controlable they are being that strong. I have rode a buddies crf250r several times and have always noticed how strong the brakes were but they always seemed that you could lock the wheel up with just a hair more of the lever. seemed unpredictable.

Suspension - not broke in yet. Ill get back on this subject after I get a few more hours on it.

Handling and ergos - Great. I set up a tight oval track with a 30 yard straight and hairpin turns on each side. It felt really good and connected to the bike always. Coming in hard standing up, at the start of the turn I'm sitting down and leaning the bike way over (to far once, haha first laydown) and accelerating hard out of it. Its so easy to get up on the tank and the radiator shrouds are perfect for my legs to squeeze. The seat is great. The traction is great with the bridgestones.

Features - I love how you can buy this bike for less than other brands 250's (fourstrokes, two strokes anything closely related to the 200) but get loads of stuff that would cost in the 4 digits to put on any other bike. I'll go through them. Renthal fat bars, brembo brakes, wave rotors, stainless braided brake lines, excel wheels, tooless rebound clickers on forks, adjustable fork spring preload, renthal grips, hinged levers, wide footpegs, How about a jet and a few different needles! I liked that they supplied that. An actually decent quality set of tools.

When are other companies going to recognize the off road market? Sure the jap bikes offer there wr's, crfx's, and the rmxz's but come on, the main focus is motorcross/supercross. I predict that soon KTM, Husqvarna, GasGas and Husaburg will soon dominate the market. I know there are more offroad riders out there than riders who strictly race motocross. Think of all the people just out trail riding. It's just aggrivating for me. Ha needed to get that off my chest.

Anyways I have 2 weeks before my next harescramble and I cant wait to get this bike in the woods where it belongs. To all the people on here that gave me there opinions and suggestions on the 200 xc-w I want to say thanks. This bike has everything that I was looking for in a harescramble bike. Thanks again.

Oh, one slight problem. I noticed that my display has not been reading anything. It turns on but will not give odo or speed. I started checking it out. I found that the magnet on the rotor is broke off. Its still there, I think it broke and is now to short to pick up an accurate reading. Quick fix though and definatly doesn't discourage me.

Sorry honda, you just lost another customer.

Excellent choice!

You're coming off of a 450x right? I'm curious to hear your take on the suspension. With a bike that much ligher than your x, it's probably hard to compare apples to apples.

I'm really looking forward to getting into the woods with it to compare. My 450 has sat all this year though. I bought a used 04 kx 125 right before our season started so I have the feel for the light weight. I can tell the the 200 is alittle heavier than the 125 but the bottom end is worth a few pounds to me. I'm only 135 ish without gear so I like em light. I just hated the fact you had to have the 125 screaming to make any power. Coming off the 450 I felt like the 125 motor or the clutch was going to explode at any minute. I'm not a fan of feeling like I'm destroying a bike trying to keep my normal pace. Although I was as fast if not faster on the 125. I'm thinking that the 200 is going to push my skill level over the wall that I feel like I've hit.

Also something else to add. I had the 450's suspension resprung and revalved and was amazed at the difference. From what I've read about the suspension on the KTMs, Im thinking only a respring and it will be good. In the manual it says what the current springs weight range are and that a size smallers minimum is 143. With gear I should be right on the money. My acerbis rally pro's just come in the mail so now I'm going to cut the bars down a bit, put the new handguards on and then my next purchase will be springs. After I get it all broke in and a good feel for it I will decide how quickly I will need the springs. I did set all the clickers per manual for the sport setting. I'm wondering since I'm a little light for it if setting it to standard or comfort (per manual) will be alittle better or me. MAN I WISH IT WASNT RAINING!!!!!

if it's not too hilly where you live, slap on a 46 tooth rear and your 200 will really haul the mail. Have the head milled, dome reshaped and you will again be thrilled!

Enjoy the new scoot!:cheers:

Short ride through the woods this evening. I am loving it so far. One thing I noticed while I was warming it up was it was idleing nicely and then it revved high on its own and then came back down, almost like I hit the gas. I started looking around, turned the bars left and then right. When I turned them right it did it again. The throttle cable was catchin on the bar pad! I push the bar pad as far forward as I could and turned the bars several times. It didnt catch anymore so I took it for a ride. Come back with no problems and did some investigating. The bar pad was snugg but not really tight. The zip-ties were crossed and it wouldnt let them pull it all the way tight. I cut them and replaced, this time running them straight and tightened the heck out of it. Seems to be fine now but has anybody else had any trouble with it catching? Debating on just taking it off and leaving it. Not a huge fan of that idea but would hate to have it catch in a turn.

Enjoy the bike man! My 09 has done pretty well. I'd just take the bar pad off if it is getting snagged.

Short ride through the woods this evening. I am loving it so far. One thing I noticed while I was warming it up was it was idleing nicely and then it revved high on its own and then came back down, almost like I hit the gas. I started looking around, turned the bars left and then right. When I turned them right it did it again. The throttle cable was catchin on the bar pad! I push the bar pad as far forward as I could and turned the bars several times. It didnt catch anymore so I took it for a ride. Come back with no problems and did some investigating. The bar pad was snugg but not really tight. The zip-ties were crossed and it wouldnt let them pull it all the way tight. I cut them and replaced, this time running them straight and tightened the heck out of it. Seems to be fine now but has anybody else had any trouble with it catching? Debating on just taking it off and leaving it. Not a huge fan of that idea but would hate to have it catch in a turn.

Get a 1998 Honda CR250 throttle cable and run it in front of the bars like the Jap bikes. Do a search here and on KTM Talk about how to secure the cable ends so you don't get an unplanned whiskey throttle when you least expect it.

Get a 1998 Honda CR250 throttle cable and run it in front of the bars like the Jap bikes. Do a search here and on KTM Talk about how to secure the cable ends so you don't get an unplanned whiskey throttle when you least expect it.

OEM or aftermarket?

OEM or aftermarket?

OEM, do a search on here for honda cable, and username Garyjp4. He listed the exact part # for several Honda cables of different length. I chose the 4.2" longer cable and it works great.

Ill have to look into it. I didnt get to ride yesterday but am going to today. I wonder why KTM runs it this way? or why they wouldnt run it on the right side of the frame instead of the left. would seem like a quick fix. Last night I ordered the magnet for the speedo, 14 bucks off rocky. Not bad at all. I had some other stuff to order so it was easier for me to just order than to call the dealer. I also have custom number plates coming for it.

Ill have to look into it. I didnt get to ride yesterday but am going to today. I wonder why KTM runs it this way? or why they wouldnt run it on the right side of the frame instead of the left. would seem like a quick fix. Last night I ordered the magnet for the speedo, 14 bucks off rocky. Not bad at all. I had some other stuff to order so it was easier for me to just order than to call the dealer. I also have custom number plates coming for it.

right side is too tight a turn, it works, just tight and still behind the bars... this has been covered in depth several times, and recently. To me, in front of the bars and behind the CDI is the logical route. IDK why KTM just doesn't put a longer cable on it and route it that way.

you will like the Honda unit if you go that way.