Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Stuck?

Hey everyone, i got a 96 rm 250, i bought it used last spring and not one problem with the bike, rode it all summer long. well winter came and i had put it away, but now its warming up and i brought it out and did some maintence stuff to it, ie; changed the chain and sprockets, new spark plug, new filter, new silencer packing, fresh gas and trans fluid. didnt do anything to the jetting, becuase well i had to see how she ran first of course, but other words i finally got her started after a couple mins, she did start a lil rough and did attend to die a couple times but im taking it thats just normal for a bike after sitting all winter, but anyways the main problem is when i gets started up and stays running, it will be just fine and all of a sudden the rpms will just shoot thru the roof and stay up there, wierd thing is i didnt even touch the throttle. and so i did the first thing that cam to mind and i hit the killswitch, i tried again and did the same thing after a couple seconds of running and i still havent touched the throttle after geting her started. so my main concern is what could this problem be? is the throttle stuck or something? maybe the carb needs to be cleaned? any help would be great and im also going to the local shop to get some parts i ordered so im goin to ask a tech as well. thanx for any help, cause im really eager to get out riding

It could be an air leak but my guess is that you just need to clean the carb really well. The fact that it sat all winter would lead me to believe that the jet are just gummed up.

that's what I was thinking but I'm actually on my way to the shop and gonna ask one of the techs so hopefully that's the problem

went to the shop, and techs said pretty much the same thing, so either tonight or tomorrow hopefully ill take the carb out and give the good once over and pray that was the problem

went to the shop, and techs said pretty much the same thing, so either tonight or tomorrow hopefully ill take the carb out and give the good once over and pray that was the problem

Yes,, Your on the right track,, while You have the carb off, Your can check the sealing of the intake gaskets,, air leak,, when a bike sits for a while, that gas gets old,and, screws-up the whole program....good luck.......Dr.D..

yea when I get off of work in a lil gonna go check it and do the carb and check everything around it and yea I may have left a lil bit of old gas in the carb

Before you put the airbox back on (if you didn't pull it use your finger) make sure that the throttle slide opens all the way and closes to the stop. also check and make sure the carb is vertical when the bike is vertical( or the carb is well seated in the boot key

see maintenance tips free at http:alsdirtbikegear.com