1st Experience w/ Factory Connection

I dropped off my set of forks to FC last Wednesday. I also included a set of "spare" forks since I wanted to use the best of each to build 1 good set. I also included my OEM seals, bushings, and 2 quarts of Bel-Ray 5W fork oil.

After speaking with their NH location on the phone I decided it would be best to drop off the forks and discuss what needed to be done since it was kind of complicated. Everything seemed to go well while I was there as the guy took notes on the Work Order Form.

As discussed, the following things would be performed:

1. Rebuild forks using supplied parts: $100.95 standard charge.

2. Measure spring rate of both forks to see which was better for my weight. If they were way off, I'd consider buying a set of their springs: $115, if needed.

3. Disassembly charge of spare set of forks ~$50 (fair enough since they have to charge for this labor)

4. Check valving for my style and tune them if way off. I'm pretty sure these forks had been done by FC in the past based on the stickers on the forks, including clicker settings sticker so this adjustment would have been free.

5. Call me with a "call with estimate".

I'm sure they did a great job, but they did not call me with an estimate. They assured me (I want to know eveything about what's done with my bike and this is the only thing I've had a shop do so far so I was already uneasy) they would call to go over the cost estimate and include details about what springs and valving was in there. Well, I called today to check the status and tom my surprise they said they were done! I did just recieve a message from them saying it would be $155 so I'm relieved. They previously said they used the Showa oil instead of mine since it was better, but that was a mistake apparently.

I'll report back once I get a chance to ride these forks.

I use FC all the time. I love them. They always seem to make my suspension exacly how I want it. As far as the oil goes, let them use what they use. They're the pros when it comes to suspension. They want to use their own stuff because they know it the best and their reputation stands on the line. $155 is extremely cheap for a pair of forks. I just paid 350 for them to rebuild them and it was worth every penny.

I use FC all the time. I love them. They always seem to make my suspension exacly how I want it. As far as the oil goes, let them use what they use. They're the pros when it comes to suspension. They want to use their own stuff because they know it the best and their reputation stands on the line. $155 is extremely cheap for a pair of forks. I just paid 350 for them to rebuild them and it was worth every penny.

I went with them due to their reputation and the reviews I've read. I'm sure I'll be happy with the forks. The reason I went with the Bel-ray was that I had initially intended on doing the forks myself and ordered the oil with other parts. The reviews I read on the Bel-Ray fluid were good so I didn't want to waste the $25 (on top of the additional $18 charge per quart of the Showa stuff). Had I known I was going to have FC do the rebuild I'd let them use the Showa stuff, but I didn't think it was a big deal at the time. I'll reconsider next time for sure!

I agree that the price was good, however, I'm not sure if you saw that I supplied all my own OEM parts, fluid, and they didn't change out springs (or valving that I'm aware of). So, I spent $155 to have them disassemble, clean, and reassemble with 2 sets of forks using the "best" parts from each. Still, a good price for such work since I don't have the tools or experience doing forks.

BTW: I had slightly rounded the bottom bolt of 1 fork tube (per the recommendation of using an air gun; stupid me for trying that!). The compression adjuster screw on the fork cap of 1 tube was also sheared. The compression valve spring (? small one at the bottom of the catridge rod) seemed wrong on 1 tube since the 2 I retrieved from my oil were different looking. Due to these issues I decided to have them do the work since they are the pros and they made all this sound very easy for them to do. This is also why I supplied the spare set of forks since I knew the bottom bolts were good and whatnot, but overall the tubes and sliders weren't in as good shape as the "good" set. I still don't know if they replaced the rounded bottom bolt, but I bet they did.

I'm very excited to get them back! I've never had a set of freshly built forks setup for me. Even though these are known to be not-so-great forks, I think they'll be OK for my needs...

Edited by stanga5o

So they called me for payment today and it came to $186 ($155 + $31 insured shipping).

I asked if they measured the spring rates between the 2 sets and which they used and he just said they probably put the ones in closest to my weight. I guess I just have to trust them on that one! I'd still like to have known what spring rate that was for future reference, but I'm not sure they recorded that or will provide that information for me.

They did say they set it at 120mm fork level, which is on the "high" end, I believe, since I'm an intermediate doing mostly trail riding. Clicker settings they were unsure of. They did replace the rounded bottom bolt so I'm psyched there!

I should have them tomorrow they thought so that's exciting. Now I have to get my frame PC'd ASAP!!

Thats not bad at all. You should be happy with them. You should also get a little brochure with all the settings they used suck as the spring rate, fluid, and clicker settings.

Thats not bad at all. You should be happy with them. You should also get a little brochure with all the settings they used suck as the spring rate, fluid, and clicker settings.

Yeah, overall I'm very pleased with their customer service and how they treated me. I'm glad they were willing to work with me to turn my 2 sets of forks into 1 good set at that price. He did mention the tri-fold that will be included to give me some information about setup and tuning them to my tastes. Definitely glad to have them done; it's one of the last things on my restoration project!

Thanks for the reassurance with FC too. It's always good to hear when other people had good experiences with a company I use.