84 XR500 w/6-spd tranny???

I just went a looked at an 84 XR500 with a 6 spd tranny. Everything I read says that bike came with a 5-spd. The owner has very little knowledge of the bike so he was no help.

Anyone know how you would get a 6-spd in an XR500?

It's definitely a 500 frame. Would a 350 engine fit in the 500 frame? If so, how would I tell the two engines apart?

""Anyone know how you would get a 6-spd in an XR500?""

No,,I don't,,someone else may.

""It's definitely a 500 frame. Would a 350 engine fit in the 500 frame? If so, how would I tell the two engines apart?""

I'd say a 350 engine would fit in a 500 frame..Whether the engine mount points would line up is a different story. A 500/600 engine will not fit a 350 frame..How do I know..Mistakingly bought a 350 frame thinking it was a 600..(Advertised as a 600 as well) ..They do look remarkably similar in size/dimensions.

Guess the only way to tell what engine you have is from the engine numbers or from the cc rating stampted on the right hand side of the barell..

350 500 frames are very similar and some of the components are the same. 500 forks are a bolt on. A 350 has the clutch actuator arm on the clutch cover not by the flywheel like a 500/600. Also the oil filter cover will have fins unlike a 500/600. It's a 350. They can be opened up to around 450 and run pretty well as they came. The owner probably barely knows its a Honda let alone the size.