Sign in to follow this  

Changing oil- How Much Should Come Out...

When you kick it through 4-5 times after draining (with kill switch pushed of course) per manual.

Did my first change and didn't seem like much more came out.

Is it that important to do?

Edited by DLHamblin

It usually only makes a few tablespoons more come out. I still do it just because they say too. Don't panic if you find a small amount of metal shavings in the oil filter area. Its normal. Just guessing that's the next question, it was mine..

It usually only makes a few tablespoons more come out. I still do it just because they say too. Don't panic if you find a small amount of metal shavings in the oil filter area. Its normal. Just guessing that's the next question, it was mine..

Thanks. I wouldn't have been surprised but didn't see any noticeable shavings.

I'm still amazed at how "little" oil they have in these engines. Definitely plan to check level before each ride.

Thanks. I wouldn't have been surprised but didn't see any noticeable shavings.

I'm still amazed at how "little" oil they have in these engines. Definitely plan to check level before each ride.

I know! I was suprised that it was several ounces less, per the manual, compared to my '05 CRF 250.

good idea to put an extra bit of oil in the trans side as well, i do it and have learned it from some great reliable sources. my 02 crf450 calls for 690 ml in the trans side, i puts in 750 ml. helps me feel save that the top gears are getting good oil. i think most would agree. about the metal shavings, i would not consider that a normal thing. i have not seen it on my bikes. i would consider metal shavings as gears/another part wearing inside the engine, wich is never a good thing. now ith that being said, gears are going to wear slightly, opvious for to metal object in contact all the time, but if the oil and filter is changed as often as it should, and there are visible "muliple shavings" somthing is wearing way too fast. i would think so.