Sign in to follow this  

my 1st 650R and want to get the most...

Just bought 01 650r and it was supposedly uncorked and jetted properly. I am not tech savvy...I change parts on my chevy truck, reattach parts on the bike when i crash and do routine maitnance, so i was thinking of bringing it the local shop for a once over. This is the first bike i spent more than 800 on so want it to be on point.

The bike is fast fast fast, but can or should a mechanic make sure that the right points right jets are there and adjusted right. Is that even the right way to say what i am asking? the guys said he installed the 175? he also at first said he did not change the point, but then when he gave me the left over parts including the jet kit he used he pointed to a part and said this is the factory needle?

also when i look in the exhaust i still see a screen or wall in what i think is the spark arrester screwed to the end of the exhaust. is that what this is? the hole saw drilled out piece thats part of the uncorking, is that on the other side of what I am looking at?

should i have mechanic look at the valves and timing chain?

the bike starts relatively easily, but obviously got to get the feel. about 10 kicks cold, three warm, and one if stop and re-start while riding. have to give a little little throttle once the it fires when the bike is cold.

thanks guys

Edited by eshanks
left something out

Sounds like a good bike. I recently bought one that was already all set up. I didn't take it to the shop, but just did some local rides to make sure everything was good. Worked through a couple problems and now I'm confident I've got a great bike. I will be doing a compression check as a base line. Also, sounds like you've got the starting sequence down. Mine is similar to yours.

• Like 1

Just ride it my friend. If is starts ok, and seems to have plenty of power for you and doesn't spit and fart and run like shit, then she is ready to go. Get yourself for a fresh oil change, Just to have piece of mind. Have a blast....

It doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience with bikes in general. Be careful on that thing. It's no joke. Be smooth with the throttle, whacking it wide open can get you in trouble fast.

yea you just need time in the saddle. but be careful this thing can get you into trouble QUICK esp. in the dirt. Always remember the bike accelerates faster than it stops.

yea you just need time in the saddle. but be careful this thing can get you into trouble QUICK esp. in the dirt. Always remember the bike accelerates faster than it stops.

Pretty sure thats why we all ride dirt bikes, because they make life interesting :cheers:

yea i look forward to going fast and pulling up some monster hills! I appreciate and will heed your calls of warning...I still bounce, but not like when i was younger! I plan to just ride and before long i know i will grow in confidence in the bikes reliability and I will become with the bike. One of the reasons i liked this bike is u cant hardly find a person to say a bad thing about the BRP.

Buying an 01 and paying top dollar i just want to protect my investment! Not having an odometer I am just taking the previous owners word on the low hours??

Do u guys ever have your valve clearances checked? seems like recommended maitnance from what I read and easy enough to do. and do guys ever have your timing chains inspected or replaced as a part of maitnance? again sounds like reccomended maitnance and relatively affordable.

I just spent some dough on a 10 year old dirt bike! call me a bit overly concerned, but i know how these things are meant to ridden and the words hard and aggressive come to mind. Just looking to get some input on what faithful R riders do for maitnance besides oil, air filter and chain.

When it becomes a bit harder to start is usually an indicator that its tune up time. Valve adjustment is a standard part of the tune up, in fact you could say it is the tune up.

Adjusting the valves with a stock cam is a pain because of the auto-decompression feature of the cam. If you don't do it just right you will experience loud tappet clacking because of the auto-decompression clicking on. It takes a bit of practice but is very doable. I went to a stage one hot cam so I don't have to be concerned about the auto-decompression feature of the stock cam.

When it becomes a bit harder to start is usually an indicator that its tune up time. Valve adjustment is a standard part of the tune up, in fact you could say it is the tune up.

Adjusting the valves with a stock cam is a pain because of the auto-decompression feature of the cam. If you don't do it just right you will experience loud tappet clacking because of the auto-decompression clicking on. It takes a bit of practice but is very doable. I went to a stage one hot cam so I don't have to be concerned about the auto-decompression feature of the stock cam.

Althought a hotcam puts extra stress on the motor, hence reliability will most likely suffer.

Althought a hotcam puts extra stress on the motor, hence reliability will most likely suffer.

That's the trade off in all machines, reliability vs fun factor. I ride mine for fun so have no trouble in making that trade off.

These bikes can be made to go a hell of a lot faster than the std XR650R, there are guys on this site who have the 680 big bore kits & stage 2 hotcams who don't complain about high failure rates, it's quite the opposite.

These things take a hammering and just keep going and going IF it's maintained right.That means fresh oil, clean filters and a properly jetted carb with the annual valve clearance check that is easy enough to do yourself.

I hope you enjoy your R:thumbsup:

• Like 1

That's the trade off in all machines, reliability vs fun factor. I ride mine for fun so have no trouble in making that trade off.

These bikes can be made to go a hell of a lot faster than the std XR650R, there are guys on this site who have the 680 big bore kits & stage 2 hotcams who don't complain about high failure rates, it's quite the opposite.

These things take a hammering and just keep going and going IF it's maintained right.That means fresh oil, clean filters and a properly jetted carb with the annual valve clearance check that is easy enough to do yourself.

I hope you enjoy your R:thumbsup:

I didn't even know i asked a question, was a good read anyway though :cheers: