Sign in to follow this  

Wheel balance?

Stock DRZs have wheel weights on them. I was told if I use dunlop 606 They do not need to be balanced. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not use to having to balance dirt bike tires. Should I take the stock weights off when I mound my new sneakers or leave the stock weights on? Common sense says remove them but I'd rather ask before I do something dumb...

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Not sure about the 606's but when I repaced mine on my sm I left them off and have not experienced any problems. I have oem d208's. Street nobbies probably arent going to ride good on the road balanced or not. Maybe someone with 606's will chime in soon. I dont think it will be a big deal as long as the 606's are manufactured in a decent manner. If there "out of round" then you would need balancing weights.

I balance any rims that will be on the street. Buy a balancer and do it yourself so you know it's done right, or you can rig something up at home that will work as well. :cheers:

i have d606's on my DRZ. i end up riding them on roads and even highways a lot. i do not balance the wheels and have not had any issues at all (the 606s even hold up fairly well to all that pavement).

however...when i mounted the first set of 606's on it, i installed two rim locks on each rim...opposite each other. (and i do make sure to mount the light part of the tire--the part with the circle stamped on it--opposite the valve stem). my guess is that the rim locks are so heavy that having all that weight on opposite ends of the rim probably negates other imbalances in the rim/tire (and, thus, not balancing them might not work as well if you do not have two rim locks on each rim), but who knows...

fwiw.

(ETA: when i say i do not balance them, i mean i took the wheel weights off and then did not balance the wheels after mounting the tires. so, no wheel weights on my rims. just two rim locks on each rim...mounted opposite each other.)

Edited by LittleRedToyota

I always balance my wheels both knobbies and street tires

you can use two jackstands and set the wheel up between them or buy a wheel balancer. search youtube for plenty of how to vids its simple and easy and it works

I have ridden w wheels that were not balanced and usually you'll get anything from increased vibes and numb hands to tires jumping.

If the bike was only ridden offroad out of balance tires would not be so noticeable

Whoever told you not to balance them obvioulsy has not rode their dirtbike 100MPH...or even 65MPH for that matter.

Yes...always balance...especially if you add a rim lock...which you should.

Yes, have the wheels balanced. This is a must do if you have rim locks. And you should have rim locks.

So clear this up for me too. Are the weights on the spokes {1 per rim} of my OE SM rims "wheel" balancers and installed before the tire is mounted? Or are they balanced togehter?

Also I paid someone to install my tires so not sure but I dont think I have wheel locks (SM rims}. I have had my bike to 97mph {stock speedo} with no weights and dont notice any problems. I like the wheel balanceing idea with the jackstands. Might try it and see if my ride/feel improves.

All wheels with single rim locks need to be balanced.
Yes, have the wheels balanced. This is a must do if you have rim locks. And you should have rim locks.

What these guys said.

My D606's with one rim lock would bounce so bad at 45 it felt like the wheels were bouncing off the ground. Threw on some spoke weights and it was all good. You can buy the stock spoke weights from the TT store and do it yourself.

So clear this up for me too. Are the weights on the spokes {1 per rim} of my OE SM rims "wheel" balancers and installed before the tire is mounted? Or are they balanced togehter?

Also I paid someone to install my tires so not sure but I dont think I have wheel locks (SM rims}. I have had my bike to 97mph {stock speedo} with no weights and dont notice any problems. I like the wheel balanceing idea with the jackstands. Might try it and see if my ride/feel improves.

Wheels are balanced after the tire is mounted.

Wheel locks are required if you ride with low air pressure off road (for best grip in the loose stuff) to keep the tire from spinning on the rim and ripping the valve stem off the tube.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll have to look at the bike when I go to install the tires to see if the spoke weights are opposite the wheel lock. Is this how it comes from the factory? I don't have a tire balance maching so I guess I'll have to go to the shop. Not sure about the two jack stand method. Maybe I'll give it a try...

Thanks for all the info.

I'll have to look at the bike when I go to install the tires to see if the spoke weights are opposite the wheel lock. Is this how it comes from the factory? I don't have a tire balance maching so I guess I'll have to go to the shop. Not sure about the two jack stand method. Maybe I'll give it a try...

two jackstands work note the similarities between the profession balancer shown here and 2 jackstands

spinning.jpg

if you have an S it deosnt have a rim lock just a plug where the rim lock can go

What these guys said.

My D606's with one rim lock would bounce so bad at 45 it felt like the wheels were bouncing off the ground. Threw on some spoke weights and it was all good. You can buy the stock spoke weights from the TT store and do it yourself.

It was. If you were to watch a slow motion video...that is exactly what happens with a wheel that is out of balance...causes severe tire wear patterns to. The wheel will actually lift of the ground and slam back down violently every rotation.

Thats why even dirt bikes that never hit the road should also be balanced. Hard to get traction when the tire is off the ground.

two jackstands work note the similarities between the profession balancer shown here and 2 jackstands

spinning.jpg

if you have an S it deosnt have a rim lock just a plug where the rim lock can go

Thanks for the tip. I watched a video on the jackstand method and it doesn't look to difficult. Does anyone have a spare rim lock the want to sell? :cheers:

Does anyone have a spare rim lock the want to sell? :cheers:

as long as you do not get a suzuki rim lock, they are cheap enough to not make it worth buying used.

motion pro's seem to work well and are about $10 to $15 new.

stock S wheels need a 1.6" on the front and 2.15" on the back.

(ETA: consider getting two for each wheel. the extra cost is minimal and the only extra work is drilling another hole in the rim. you are going to have to slap a bunch of weight opposite a single rim lock to balance the wheel anyway...might as well have that weight do something useful. or at least that is my take on it. lots of people seem to like to run only one.)